Winter Days

Reuben

Reuben and Cows

Tiny Toadstools

Family

These pictures were taken at my mama’s farm today. Spending time over there is so good for my soul. The older I get, the more I long for the peace, quiet and space of the country. The feel of earth under my boots, raindrops on my eyelashes and wind in my hair. The warmth of a horse’s velvety nose and the sound of happy chickens scratching in the grass. I was lucky enough to grow up on a farm and though at the time I never thought I’d say it, I miss living on the land. I’m so glad my mum’s little slice of the countryside is just a couple of minutes away.

The days here are short and grey now. Each morning our tiny town is swathed in mist, the grass is crunchy with frost and the cold bites at our toes as we creep out of bed. Outside the deciduous trees are bare and the earth is cold and damp, but inside we are cocooned with socks, blankets and bowls of soup.

I love the hush of winter. Though we all carry on with our usual busyness, somehow everything seems a little quieter. A little slower. Like the world around us pauses to take a breath.

I hope you’ve all had a restful, happy weekend and managed to find a little quiet of your own. Sending warm, happy thoughts for the week ahead!

Katie xx

Tags: , , , ,

11 Responses to “Winter Days”

1. Nicola June 22, 2014 at 10:32 pm #

What lovely pictures :) I too love the countryside – we hope to live there someday!

2. Rita June 23, 2014 at 1:41 am #

This post reminds me of why I love winter. We’re basking in balmy, warm-but-not-too-hot days in my part of the world–and it’s wonderful!–but I’m more of a winter girl at heart.

Katie June 24, 2014 at 6:22 pm #

I love winter too! Summer here is unbearably hot and long, so I’m soaking this wintery weather up! xx

3. Life With The Crew June 23, 2014 at 3:43 am #

Lovely post – you are lucky to have a farm in the family.

4. Kerri June 23, 2014 at 7:05 am #

I love heading out to the farm where my uncle works, there is something so calming about the countryside… well and the adorable little mushrooms there!

5. Gem June 23, 2014 at 10:57 am #

Wonderful photos of Australian winter. We’re leaving the Northern Hemisphere summer at the end of next month and coming back home where the weather is SANE. I can’t WAIT to feel a normal NSW winter, where the grass is still growing and throwing a coat over my jeans and T-shirt is enough to be warm! ^^

Katie June 24, 2014 at 6:36 pm #

Yes, I think we’re a bit spoilt when it comes to winter in Australia!! :)

6. Sarah Jane June 23, 2014 at 5:11 pm #

Love your photos Katie – especially the one of the toadstools/mushrooms. Our little farm is just that – little – but’s for it’s size it provides a bucket load of work and also joy. I couldn’t go back to living in town now. On the weekend I was on my way to a meeting, driving past houses on 2-3 acre blocks, fairly well spread apart. But they even look too close together to me now! Although some days I would trade it all in for a small townhouse away from animals ;-)

Hope you had a peaceful weekend!
    Sarah x

PS Are those cows the same as the ones I asked you about on Instagram a while back? The Angus? Sorry for seeming like a cow nerd but we grow mini Angus and, well, I guess I am a bit of a cow nerd now… :-D

Katie June 24, 2014 at 6:34 pm #

They are Angus but, I think, different ones from the ones in the Instagram pic… Your farm is so inspiring. xx

7. gaby June 29, 2014 at 7:31 pm #

i love the slowness of winter as well x

8. cityhippyfarmgirl June 30, 2014 at 10:07 am #

Beautiful words Katie. They bring to mind so many of my own feelings. There is something rather special about feeling the earth under your feet, when so much of our days is concrete under foot, it’s a welcome change.