Thrifty Finds

It’s been such a long time since we shared any of our thrifty finds! We’ve found a few little gems lately…

Vintage Wood Pineapple Bowls

Like this vintage set of wooden pineapple bowls, still in their original packaging! Aren’t they cute?! That pretty sheet in the background is a recent find too.

Vintage Dish Set

And this lovely set of vintage Johnson Brothers dishes, as well as the tablecloth they are sitting on. Technically, I didn’t find the dishes. A friend picked them up for me. I am so grateful for friends who know me so well and “get” my taste!

Vintage Sheets

After months of thinking I might never find another vintage sheet again, in recent weeks I’ve gotten really, really lucky! All the sheets in the picture above are in mint condition and have never been used. The sets in packets I found on a random shelf in a secondhand furniture store. The ones that aren’t in packets were from an op-shop. All of them are complete sets with pillow cases and have never even been washed! Amazing.

Vintage Elephant Money Box

This sweet little elephant came home with me on the weekend. She looked so sad sitting on a table of junk at a garage sale and for $1, I just couldn’t say no.

Old Bottles

Like the Johnson dishes, I didn’t actually find these. They came with a purchase a friend made at an antique auction, and knowing how much I love old bottles, he gave them to me. These are going to look so pretty sitting on a windowsill holding flowers. I think the tiny bottles are particularly special (I love miniature things!)

Vintage Johnson Australia Cake Platter

I found this vintage Johnson cake platter in an op-shop a few weeks ago. This is actually the second Johnson cake platter I have found still in it’s original box. I found the first one a few years ago and we use it all the time, so I’m really happy to have found another (in a different design). I love Johnson crockery so much and I’m gathering quite a collection of it. I am thinking of donating all my other vintage plates and mugs and only collecting and using pieces by Johnson from now on, so our crockery will all match in a mismatchy kind of way. The pillowcase in the background was 50c at an op-shop last week.

Have you had any nice thrifty finds lately? I love hearing about peoples op-shopping/thrifting/flea-marketing adventures.

Tags: , ,

18 Responses to “Thrifty Finds”

1. Grace June 11, 2014 at 1:10 am #

Such pretty things :) Those pineapple bowls look beautiful, the wood is so shiny and sleek, and the elephant, good finds!

Katie June 11, 2014 at 7:57 pm #

Thanks Grace! xx

2. Life With The Crew June 11, 2014 at 3:54 am #

The bowls are beautiful and I love the glass bottles. My husband collects sand from beaches that we visit and so we’re always looking for small glass bottles with lids. (Spice jars are what we use for most of them.) I recently found an awesome wooden children’s stepstool on the curb while I was on a run! http://lifewiththecrew.typepad.com/my-blog/2014/06/how-to-score-a-vintage-childrens-wooden-stepstool.html

Katie June 11, 2014 at 7:16 pm #

I love that your husband collects sand from all beaches you visit! That is such a beautiful idea. And the stepstool is adorable! xx

3. Brenda June 11, 2014 at 6:43 am #

Such lovely treasures well done finding the sheets, I like you were, have given up finding any, they are so rare now. Love the elephant!

Katie June 11, 2014 at 7:29 pm #

Yeah. vintage sheets are definitely getting harder to find. Though I guess that’s to be expected when you think about the fact a sheet manufactured in the 70s is 40 years old now. Most people just don’t keep linens that long! That said, I always find that just when I’m convinced I’ll never find another one, completely unexpectedly I’ll stumble across something really special. So don’t give up!! xx

4. Zara June 11, 2014 at 7:37 am #

From another Johnson lover.. wow the Johnson ware is just amazing. The cake platter design is a new one to me. There must be so many designs out there.
    A couple of years ago we got rid of all the hand-me-down (made in china) crockery and cutlery that we had been using and started using our Johnson and silverware everyday. it seems a waste to have it sitting in the cupboard and not be able to enjoy its beauty everyday. Yes there’s been a couple of breakages along the way but I love using it all the time.
    Lately I’ve op-shopped a couple of cute floral tablecloths and some vintage dress patterns.
    x

Katie June 11, 2014 at 7:36 pm #

I hadn’t seen that Johnson design before either! Maybe it’s a more unusual one? We did the same thing as you and gave away all our modern crockery, so we use our Johnson and other vintage pieces. I think it would be a bit of waste to just keep them packed away. Though it does break my heart a little when something gets chipped or broken! xx

5. Jane @ Shady Baker June 11, 2014 at 12:37 pm #

Love your pineapples Katie! The Johnson ware is beautiful too…I am a latecomer to appreciating Johnson and now I am always looking for it. There is a junk shop in Wentworth (NSW) which has shelves of it…all very cheap too. I feel like a little thrift shopping now! x

Katie June 11, 2014 at 7:38 pm #

Oh, that shop in Wentworth sounds like my dream come true! If we ever pass through there I’ll have to remember to check it out. xx

6. Sarah @ Chantille Fleur June 11, 2014 at 12:42 pm #

Aw I love the little elephant too! She is sweet :-) She looks like she needs a name…

I love old bottles too ~ I don’t actually have many vases, most flowers are arranged in old milk bottle around here! They do look pretty like that :-)

Hope the weather is a bit more cheerful were you are today! It’s cold and windy and drizzly here today :-)

Sarah xx

Katie June 11, 2014 at 7:39 pm #

I don’t have vases either, I like bottles better! It’s been SO cold here today. Stay warm!! xx

7. Meg June 11, 2014 at 4:02 pm #

A truly delightful bunch of finds Katie, thanks for sharing. My last op-shopping adventure was an effort to replenish my sons wardrobes. I came home from the salvos with a collection of jumpers, skivvies, shirts and t-shirts (including one which still had the store label on it). Both of our boys wear op-shop/hand-me-downs and once they’ve outgrown them, I am able to pass them on to my nephew. I also scored some tops for me and some fabulous books about snakes and bugs – for the boys, not me!

Katie June 11, 2014 at 7:50 pm #

That all sounds wonderful Meg! I love that your get your boy’s clothes secondhand. It’s so much more affordable and more environmentally friendly than buying everything new. And how great are op-shops for books?! We buy so many books secondhand! xx

8. Lisa June 11, 2014 at 4:37 pm #

Wow, you have found some serious treasures! I love those old bottles, and the sheets are amazing! I long to find vintage linen, but I never have much luck. However, I did find a beautiful Princess 300 typewriter recently, which makes up for it a bit ~____^

Katie June 11, 2014 at 7:56 pm #

Oh, I’m so jealous! I love beautiful old typewriters. I have a lovely 1960s turquoise Consul typewriter, which I use to make all my jewellery, and it’s one of my most prized possessions. Thanks for sharing! xx

9. chelsea June 12, 2014 at 5:09 am #

Wow, you’ve really found some amazing things! Those bowls are amazing!

10. The Life of Clare June 13, 2014 at 6:08 am #

What amazing finds! I love those little bottles!