The Farmers’ Market

Farmers Market Stalls

Apples

Plants

Vegetable Stall

Reuben and Tangello Tree 2

Flowers

The second Sunday of the month is our local farmers’ market day and visiting the market is one of our favourite rituals. There is nothing lovelier than wandering about the stalls of fresh produce, while a band plays country tunes and locals catch up over coffee nearby. The atmosphere is so warm and friendly. But of course, the best part of visiting the farmers market is coming home with gorgeous things for our kitchen and garden! Today’s haul included a big bag of apples, a tangello tree and a loaf of sourdough, among other things. We only wish the market was a bit more frequent. It would be wonderful to be able buy our fruit and veggies directly from our local producers every week.

Do you have a local farmer’s market? What’s it like? Where you live are you lucky enough to have a market that runs every week? (If so, we’re jealous!)

Wishing you all a very happy new week!

Tags: , ,

23 Responses to “The Farmers’ Market”

1. Alicia Marie June 9, 2014 at 12:05 am #

We have two local farmers markets in my town. One every Saturday morning. It’s pretty big with lots of produce and even specialty items likes sweets, sauces and breads. I love to buy local honey and listen to live bluegrass music. The other market is on Wednesday nights in a different location. It’s for the people who don’t like to get up early I guess. That’s where I get my eggs. I love taking my 2 year old son. It’s such a great experience for him and I like that he’s learning where his food comes from.

Katie June 9, 2014 at 7:06 pm #

Your markets sound wonderful!! And two a week! You lucky thing. I love local honey too. Thanks heaps for sharing! xx

2. kitty June 9, 2014 at 2:07 am #

Fantastic! We are lucky enough to live in Bath in the UK that has a great weekly farmers market, although with the increasing children’s activities (and husbands rowing) we don’t make it as often as I would like. I am with you, I would love to have more than one opportunity to shop in the week as the produce is best fresh! Enjoy your days at the market.

Katie June 9, 2014 at 7:35 pm #

Thanks for sharing Kitty! Wouldn’t a twice weekly market be amazing?! :)

3. Gina June 9, 2014 at 5:18 am #

Katie:

We have an every Saturday farmers’ market year round on the north side of my city. In winter, the vendors are only in the enclosed building. In spring, summer and early fall the market expands to the outdoor areas and open sided buildings. There’s everything you can imagine: garden plants of all kinds, produce, range fed meats and chickens/eggs, baked goods and sweets, granola, homemade pasta, cheese, honey and maple syrup, clothing, yarn, crafts, and cooked food for purchase. Coffee, too. I’m sure I’ve forgotten something! On Sundays, there’s a huge flea market. From mid-June through mid-October, the downtown area where I work has a small farmers’ market on Tuesdays. Lots of produce, garden plants and bouquets of flowers, baked goods, goat cheese, and crafts. Usually some hot cooked food, too. There are many farmers’ markets throughout the suburban areas, too.

Gina
    central New York State, USA

Katie June 9, 2014 at 7:25 pm #

Wow Gina, your markets sound incredible! It seems you guys in the US do markets much bigger and better than we do here in Australia. We’ve got some serious catching up to do! xx

4. Jane @ Shady Baker June 9, 2014 at 8:18 am #

I love a farmers’ market too Katie. Your local market looks lovely. Unfortunately we live hours from any good markets but when we can get there the Sunraysia farmers’ market in Mildura is one of the best! x

Katie June 9, 2014 at 7:22 pm #

The Sunraysia Farmers Market looks amazing! I’d really like to adventure up to Mildura one day soon. xx

5. Zara June 9, 2014 at 10:27 am #

Your local farmers markets look amazing. Unfortunately Goulburn’s markets are not nearly as impressive with only a couple of small stalls selling limited fresh produce.
    I still enjoy getting along to them though, cardigan on and calico bags in hand.
    x

Katie June 9, 2014 at 7:16 pm #

Oh yes, cardigans and calico bags are essential! :) xx

6. Tarah June 9, 2014 at 10:36 am #

Farmer’s markets are the best and so inspiring. We have a weekly farmer’s market near by and a few others that alternate on different weekends. I love a good market haul and meeting all the growers!

Katie June 9, 2014 at 7:15 pm #

They are the best! I wish we had one every week. Thanks for sharing! :)

7. Life With The Crew June 9, 2014 at 11:28 am #

We live in a town that is big into local foods and during the summer months we have a different farmer’s market 5 days of the week within 15 minutes of our house. We also have a ton of CSA’s, so there is always access to local produce, meat, and dairy.
    Love the new blog design!

Katie June 9, 2014 at 7:14 pm #

Goodness, where you live sounds AMAZING!! 5 Farmers Markets every week! I’m so jealous. I also wish we had CSA’s here. Sadly, they aren’t really a “thing” in Australia. I live in hope that will change! xx

8. Canan June 9, 2014 at 5:32 pm #

Your colorful life seems so enjoyable and full happiness. l wish l could be your neighbour.

Katie June 9, 2014 at 7:08 pm #

Oh, that is lovely! Thanks Canan! :)

9. Miranda Leigh June 10, 2014 at 12:40 am #

We just moved to a city that seems to have a farmers market somewhere at least once a week. I think I am more excited about the markets than anything else here…and now your post is making me want to find out if there will be any today!

Katie June 10, 2014 at 3:28 pm #

Oh, you lucky thing! Enjoy your market adventures! :)

10. Carla June 10, 2014 at 12:41 am #

Well actually yes. Our surrounding farmers come to town twice a week. They block off a street Wednesdays and Saturdays all summer and fall for the market. It’s lovely. No worries, your garden will soon be producing ; )

Katie June 10, 2014 at 3:31 pm #

That sounds amazing Carla! And yes, we’re very much looking forward to when we are growing our own veggies (and eventually fruit!) more consisitently! xx

11. Andrea Ratcliffe June 11, 2014 at 7:07 am #

I know that farmers market! I make a special trip to the parentals to coincide with the same weekend. I can tell you that I buy the passionfruit butter from the condiments stall, too many plants that I really don’t need and the yo yos. Great market for the tiny town.

12. Elyse June 21, 2014 at 1:23 pm #

Such a colourful farmers market. I am a vendor in a fabulous farmers market and I love the atmosphere and the people, oh and the great stuff everyone sells too!

13. Grace July 8, 2014 at 8:57 pm #

Hi Katie,

I came across your blog as I’m researching Bendigo at the moment (I might be relocating there for work). Are there any other ways for you to buy local produce in the weeks the market doesn’t operate?

Cheers,