On Our Table

I find what people cook and eat really interesting. Though I rarely follow recipes exactly (except for when I’m baking), I love looking at pictures of people’s meals on Instagram, flicking through cookbooks and browsing the recipes on Pinterest, just for inspiration. I tend to get really bored with food if I eat the same things too often, so I’m always on the lookout for new things to try. In the interest of sharing ideas, I thought it might be fun to post a picture of each of the meals I prepared and ate in a day. So this is what was on our table one day last weekend! It was just an ordinary day with simple, unfancy food.

Gluten Free Pancakes and Scrambled Eggs

Breakfast: Pancakes (eaten with honey, not pictured), scrambled eggs and tea. Pancakes are a weekend tradition at our house.

Fried Rice

Lunch: Vegetarian fried rice, left over from the night before. Lately I’ve been making fried rice a lot. It’s such a great way to use up the odds and ends that tend to accumulate in the crisper. I use brown rice, fried egg, lots of garlic and fresh ginger, soy sauce and whatever veggies I have on hand. This version had red cabbage, spring onions, green capsicum and kale.

Chicken, Cranberry and Walnut Salad

Dinner: Grilled free range chicken, dried cranberry and walnut salad with balsamic vinaigrette. Due to some health concerns, after much deliberation, I recently added chicken back into my diet. It’s been more than five years since I stopped eating meat and I’ve experienced a lot of internal conflict over the decision to start eating chicken again, but physically I am feeling a lot better for the change, and now that it is done I am (mostly) at peace with my choice. At least for now. (Reubs is still eating a vegetarian diet). I’m still in the process of relearning how to cook chicken, but this salad is so quick and easy.

Passinfruits

Snack: Passionfruit. In recent weeks we’ve been eating so much passionfruit!

What’s been on your table lately? If you fancy sharing, I’d love to know!

Tags:

17 Responses to “On Our Table”

1. The Life of Clare June 6, 2014 at 5:00 am #

Cute photos Katie!

Katie June 6, 2014 at 6:32 pm #

Aw, thanks Clare! I’m really enjoying picking up my camera more regularly again. xx

2. Jessica Miller June 6, 2014 at 10:05 am #

I want that salad with the grilled chicken. That looks soooo good! Everything looks good actually. You’re making me hungry. Thanks for sharing.

Katie June 6, 2014 at 6:34 pm #

It’s so good and so easy! Thanks for reading! xx

3. Kelly June 6, 2014 at 11:47 am #

Yum to all of it Katie.
    My usual day is something like this; quinoa porridge with berries and nuts for breakfast. Pumpkin toast with vegemite, avocado and tomato for lunch. Dinner is either a big bowl of homemade soup (tomato is my latest specialty) or a rice and vegetable stir-fry. Snacks are a chai latte, a banana with nut butter and mandarins. Nothing fancy and oh so easy, but this is what I am enjoying now that Winter has arrived.

Katie June 6, 2014 at 6:40 pm #

That all sounds so good Kelly! I really need to give quinoa porridge another go. I made it once and it really wasn’t great, but I normally LOVE quinoa so I think it was just a weird recipe. If I could find a version I liked, Quinoa porridge would be so perfect for chilly mornings! xx

4. Cassie June 6, 2014 at 9:59 pm #

That all looks great! I love pancakes with eggs and bacon and maple syrup! Lately I’ve been eating quinoa breakfast bakes for breakfast. Banana smoothie made with coconut milk for morning tea, stuffed capsicums for lunch, apple slices and peanut butter for afternoon tea (I love love love peanut butter!) and tonight for dinner I had fish and cinnamon sweet potatoes and red wine! I love food

Katie June 7, 2014 at 3:16 pm #

Oooh yum! Quinoa breakfast bakes sound delicious. And I LOVE banana and coconut milk smoothies! I quite often have one for morning tea or breakfast too. Thanks for sharing! xx

5. chelsea June 7, 2014 at 6:16 am #

Love your tablecloth!!

Katie June 7, 2014 at 3:17 pm #

Thank you! I have a pretty good collection of vintage tablecloths, if I do say so myself. ;)

6. cityhippyfarmgirl June 7, 2014 at 12:39 pm #

Yummo. That all looks delicious and I would have happily distracted you while I ‘sampled’ some of your plated goodies :-)

Katie June 7, 2014 at 3:17 pm #

Thanks lovely! xx

7. Sarah @ Chantille Fleur June 7, 2014 at 3:56 pm #

Yum! I love salads and vegetables and there are so many different things we can do with all of them….but I don’t think I’d like to live without meat. Or at least not meat products…such as chicken stock. We’re fortunate enough to be able to grow our own beef and chicken (chicken is a treat!!) but before that we purchased it from the shop as we had no other choice and you have to eat to survive :-)

I’ve just read another blog post about food and what a wonderful world the blogging community is for sharing recipes. And it’s true :-)

Have a lovely weekend!
    Sarah xx

8. Marsya June 8, 2014 at 12:20 pm #

You make me hungry ! I want the food in your pictures! Anyway, great post <3 xo

9. Gina June 9, 2014 at 5:24 am #

Katie:

Maybe you could post a recipe for a quinoa bake sometime?

I decided recently I needed to eat more meat/fowl, too. I just can’t digest all the grain products though beans are fine. I’ve had to leave out most dairy as that doesn’t work. I think we ultimately just have to find what works to be healthy.

Gina

10. Delphine June 10, 2014 at 2:39 am #

Pictures and tablecloth look great!
    I am trying to eat healthier but I prepared some toffee made of salted butter with coconut milk and it is SO delicious to spread on bread or pancakes :)

11. Kim June 17, 2014 at 9:24 am #

I was so excited to see your email in my in box today! I am just as excited to follow your new format. What would life be if we didn’t grow and change? Congrats for the choice, and I look forward to what you will find to share with us.
    Kim