The Time Will Pass Anyway

the time will pass anyway

Image Credit

Last week something quite remarkable happened. I made my 500th sale in my little Etsy store, just shy of a year from the day I opened it. Before I launched Dear Delilah I never would have dared to imagine I’d achieve that many sales in my first year so, as you can imagine, I’m thrilled! It might sound contrived but I rarely feel particularly proud of the things I do (because I tend to see what is yet to be done moreso than what I’ve already achieved) but I am quite proud of this. My only regret is that I didn’t start my business earlier.

I am a crazy perfectionist and (as I’ve spoken about before) I have a terrible fear of failure, so I procrastinated beginning my creative business adventure for years before I finally took the plunge. That’s right, years! For a long time I made excuses for why I couldn’t start and created reasons for why I would surely fail, until I eventually realised (as the beautiful print above says) you can either spend your time creating the life you want or spend it living the life you don’t want. The time will pass anyway.

ask yourself

Image Credit

I know now that the scariest part of making any major change or decision is the moment just before you start. Once you’re doing it, whatever it is, you just get on with things and make it work. It’s the anticipation and fear of the unknown that make making changes and taking risks so frightening. In order for anything to happen, at some point you just have to take the leap. There’s no point in prolonging that scary moment before you take action. A year from now you’ll wish you started today.

There are a few bits and pieces in my life right now that I have been procrastinating and hesitating on. Some small things, and some biggers ones, all of which are difficult to some degree. I am reminded now that the time will pass, whether I take action or not. Each step I take today gets me a foot closer to my dreams for tomorrow.

Today could be the beginning of anything you or I hope for. We just have to start.

Tags: , ,

25 Responses to “The Time Will Pass Anyway”

1. Rita April 14, 2014 at 1:49 am #

Congrats on the milestone! Speaking from the vantage point of 49, all I can say is: Yes! I am continually astonished to be here so quickly. I want to just slow it all down, but there’s no way to do that. So best make the most of every day. Wish I’d started living the life I wanted much sooner than I did, but better late than never! Wishing you great luck in all your ventures. :-)

2. Courtney April 14, 2014 at 3:14 am #

Thanks for sharing this! I’m in a similar boat–forever putting off the things I want. I’ve been considering opening an Etsy shop for years now and still haven’t, so I found this post particularly inspiring. :)

3. Paula M April 14, 2014 at 3:18 am #

Hi Katie, I write this response with the intention of indicating that life is not always so straightforward. I sincerely hope that that of you and your family is.

Chronic illness – schizophrenia, cancer, MS, Crohn’s – are common maladies that will severely limit your life opportunities and peace of mind should you win that particular jackpot.

Your own children, should you have them, will dynamite you out of any residual complacencies.

Elderly parents become a welcome, but nevertheless significant physical, emotional and financial drain. Your primary relationships will inevitably suffer.

All worth keeping in mind. In the meantime, do thoroughly enjoy this life-stage that you’re at.

Katie April 14, 2014 at 8:50 am #

Hi Paula, thanks so much for your thoughtful comment. Of course you are right! Life is rarely straight forward and there are hurdles of varying degrees both behind and ahead of us.

I understand completely that there are illnesses and other terrible struggles that you cannot just push through, and it certainly wasn’t my intention to pretend otherwise. Though I don’t share those stories here, many of the people in my life have gone through (or continue to go through) some very difficult things, and though I do generally live a very happy life at this time, I’m no stranger to heartache myself. When I was talking about taking action, despite things holding you back, I was referring the the self-imposed things that might hold us back (like my fear of failure) rather than genuine difficulties outside of our control.

I hope that makes sense? I’m sorry if it wasn’t and my post seemed flippant or niave. Thanks for reading!

4. Life With The Crew April 14, 2014 at 3:59 am #

This post came at the perfect time. My husband is trying to figure out what to do job wise, so I passed these sayings on to him!

5. Sarah @ Chantille Fleur April 14, 2014 at 8:07 am #

This post is lovely Katie – and so very true! Starting IS the hardest, and more often than not once you’ve started you wonder why you waited or hesitated.
    I’m so happy that your shop has been doing so well! Your products are gorgeous – I wear one of your necklaces almost every time I go out :-)

Hope you had a good weekend!
    Happy new week,
    Sarah x

Katie April 15, 2014 at 9:47 pm #

Thank so much for all your support Sarah. You are an absolute gem! xx

6. Snappystreet April 14, 2014 at 11:07 am #

Congratulations! Such an exciting achievement :)

I agree, it can be so difficult to get started, but once you do – it is great! I am in that boat right now, and know I just need to keep pushing myself harder and further everyday. 2014 is going to be a great year, I just know it!

Katie April 15, 2014 at 9:47 pm #

Yes it is! You can do it!! :)

7. Sophie Isobel April 14, 2014 at 12:18 pm #

Hooray! Congratulations gorgeous girl! It’s always so inspiring to see dreams being lived out. And perhaps it’s true that there is always something we are hesitating about in life (I know I am right now), but that first quote really is the perfect reminder.
    Have a beautiful week!
    Sophie xx

8. Maria April 14, 2014 at 6:52 pm #

Congratulations on 500 sales! I’ve loved watching your shop grow from the very beginning.

These are very wise words you’ve chosen to share. I also think one of the hardest things is discovering what it is that you want to start on. I have all the enthusiasm and energy in the world, but I don’t yet know what it is that I want to focus on. I hope the day when I find out comes sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Maria xx

Katie April 15, 2014 at 9:56 pm #

I can really relate to your comment Maria! There are so many things I’d like to do and I have so many ideas, I’ve found it quite hard to commit to just one thing and make it happen. I love making my jewellery but there are still a million other things I’d like to do in the future. You’ll get there! xx

9. Tracey April 14, 2014 at 7:37 pm #

I just wanted to commend you on your success…well deserved and inspiring! I also wanted to add a different perspective on your procrastination…instead of seeing it as a negative try to look at it from an angle of protection…obviously years ago the timing was not right…you achieved what you have with hard work, commitment to your craft and self belief…and unfortunately those things do not come overnight but they do come with perseverance! Don’t regret, reflect!

Katie April 15, 2014 at 10:05 pm #

That is very wise and a much more positive way of looking at things! Thank you Tracey! x

10. Christie @ The Butterfly Editions April 14, 2014 at 8:31 pm #

Congratulations on your milestone! This is such an inspirational post to read – I too am an incredible perfectionist and often take ages to start something because of that. I’m slowly starting to figure out my dreams in life and taking the small steps to get there. Like your picture says, the time will pass anyway…so we may as well use that time doing what we like doing and working towards our dreams! The perfect reminder to keep on trucking on, even though things may not yet be, and may never be, perfect – because is there really such a thing? xx

11. Sarah April 15, 2014 at 12:17 am #

Congratulations on how well your lovely business is going. It is a shame that so many of us seem to put in place self imposed restrictions on ourselves to stop us from doing what we really want. I too am really scared of failing and this has stopped me doing so many things in the past, it is only now I am older (nearly 30 eek!) that I have decided that life is far too short to be holding back on the things I want to achieve. Sometimes it only requires a couple of baby steps towards your goal to really give you the confidence to make your dreams happen. xx

Katie April 15, 2014 at 10:10 pm #

Thanks for your lovely comment Sarah and you’re right, life IS too short! This is not a rehearsal! :)

12. Meg April 15, 2014 at 11:09 am #

Hi Katie, Congratulations on your 500th sale! A wonderful achievement and one to be very proud of . . . your post reminds me of ‘Oh, the places you’ll go!’ a fabulous Dr Seuss book we’re reading every night to our four year because he loves it (and so do we!). I hope this positivity translates to another brave step for you both . . . xx

‘Congratulations!
    Today is your day.
    You’re off to Great Places!
    You’re off and away!’
    – Dr Seuss

13. gaby April 16, 2014 at 9:09 am #

i’m exactly the same; i can be such a perfectionist with a fear of failure and it has held me back more than once. good on you for just going for it, and obviously, it’s all working out perfectly x

14. Katie April 16, 2014 at 2:57 pm #

Congrats, Katie! It’s so exciting that your shop is doing so well and you found something that brings you joy!
    Ben and I were just talking today at lunch about procrastinating, it kind of crawls into our lives quietly sometimes. It’s hard to notice how we make up silly excuses not to do things that we worry about not succeeding in. But how will we succeed without doing things?!
    Anyways, very happy for you!

15. chelsea April 16, 2014 at 9:05 pm #

Congratulations on this milestone! Love love love that quote, it’s such a beautiful thing to remember!

16. Vanessa April 17, 2014 at 3:14 pm #

What a great milestone! I’m actually very aware of how I’ve been procrastinating on a project, and I kicked my butt into gear and worked most of it out. Then I couldn’t think of a business name or URL for it…totally slammed into stopping for now. Sure, I can do a lot of behind the scenes stuff, but I wanted a public face up sooner. The world works in mysterious ways!

17. Renee April 20, 2014 at 8:08 am #

Hi Katie,

I have been a reader of your blog for sometime but have never commented – my husband and I have decided to take a similar journey to you and simplify our life – I have a little blog that I have started, in part inspired by yours, and all the other wonderful people online who share their lives.

This post has really inspired me to comment because this is what I feel!! I am itching to open an etsy store of my own but keep being deflated when I see what others are doing. I feel like I won’t be unique enough or special enough for people to be interested in. Having a child changes the ball game a little bit too – there are not as many hours in the day to devote to business planning / creation. That said, the time will pass anyway! You’re right.

I would love to read more about your business ventures – your processes and thoughts and feelings taking the leap. Congratulations on all your success – it is very inspiring and deserved!

Renee xo

18. Kerri April 21, 2014 at 2:04 am #

That’s a great achievement.
    I know what you mean, there are some huge changes I want to make for my life and although I’m not scare to make them I don’t have the possibility to make them at the moment.
    To me that’s worse. Knowing your goal and wanting to step towards it but being held back and just watching it wait for you…

19. Brenda April 24, 2014 at 9:45 pm #

Katie that is just fabulous well done! your gorgeous goodies are so beautiful no wonder you have achieved this fabulous milestone! wishing you even more success in your second year! Only the brave have the courage to take that leap…well done xx