Summer Abundance

Garden Haul

Zucchinis

Semi Dried Tomatoes

Tomatoes and Basil

Pumpkin

Over the last few weeks our tiny garden has been going crazy! We’ve been eating cherry tomatoes around the clock and have had enough larger tomatoes to semi dry and make a big batch of pasta sauce (both of which we devoured in record time!) I’ve made lots of pesto and have managed to put a few bottles aside in the freezer for the approaching cold months. We’ve eaten a bunch of zucchinis and there are plenty more to come, including a couple that have grown to gigantic proportions. The rainbow chard is still doing well and we’ve had a few lovely cucumbers. Tonight we made veggie enchiladas using our first homegrown capsicums, and we’ve just picked the first of our little pumpkins. Silly Clover pup actually helped with that. This morning I discovered a small half chewed pumpkin in her bed! It was too cute and funny to be cranky with her about it.

All in all, our first summer season has been quite successful! Especially considering we’ve only had two little beds and we’ve taken a rather lazy approach to the whole thing.

I’ve never been much of a summer girl (I don’t like the heat and I’m very partial to cardigans, fireplaces and bowls of soup) but this season, perhaps for the first time, I have been able to really appreciate the garden goodness the warmer months hold. The 40°C days are awful but the homegrown produce is so wonderful!

Over the last week we’ve felt a gentle shift in the weather. It’s still very warm but the early mornings are crisp and some nights there is a real chill in the air. Soon autumn will be here, and though I will embrace the cold weather with open arms, I really will miss the abundance of summer.

Wishing you all a lovely, lovely week ahead!

Tags: , , , , , ,

13 Responses to “Summer Abundance”

1. Life With The Crew February 24, 2014 at 6:33 am #

Very cute story about the pup and the pumpkin! That is a little more laughable than say, a groundhog and 5 half chewed butternut squash (a horror story from several years ago).
    Even though I tend to me cold most of the time, I am also a granny sweater and chunky cardigan kind of girl. I love my trips to the beach, but don’t think I could live somewhere hot all of the time. The change in seasons that we have here in Pennsylvania is good.

2. Gina February 24, 2014 at 7:03 am #

I’m with you on preferring cooler weather thought I love the summer gardening
    months. If it just would NOT get up to 85F or higher and HUMID. The latter is
    the worst and just makes one drag around. I think the veggies do much better
    in 70 to 80F as they don’t dry out. Certain things like lettuce, spinach and
    cabbage family veggies actually prefer cooler temps.

It’s fun to see photos of what you are harvesting. Are those dill seeds in the
    jar in the top photo?

Gina
    New York State USA

Katie March 1, 2014 at 9:01 pm #

Yep, they are dill seeds! I find humidity really horrible too. Where we live the heat is usually very, very dry, which I can cope with a little better, bit we used to live in Queensland (in Australia’s north) and the air there was like soup!! x

3. Brooke February 24, 2014 at 7:33 am #

I am absolutely with you regarding the preference for cardigans over swimsuits, but this post is actually making me long for summer and the vegetables that go along with it! It’s still wintry here in the states and we are ready for the sun! Until then, this post is satisfying th craving :) lovely, lovely garden!

4. Ock Du Spock February 24, 2014 at 2:35 pm #

How great you are getting a harvest from your garden! Gardens are awesome.

5. The Life of Clare February 24, 2014 at 6:40 pm #

It’s so lovely being able to pick your own produce!

6. Meg February 24, 2014 at 8:06 pm #

Well done you two! Food you’ve grown yourself is always delicious and satisfying. And, I too am loving the cool mornings (feeding the chooks at 6.30am certainly helps to wake you up!) . . . bring on cardigan weather!

• Meg February 24, 2014 at 8:07 pm #

Oh, and I forgot to mention . . . when we make pesto we freeze it in ice cube trays then pop them out once frozen and store them in zip-lock bags . . . that way they are in small portions ready to be added to soup, or pasta, or focaccias, etc.

Katie March 1, 2014 at 8:57 pm #

That is genius Meg! I am definitely borrowing this idea! Thanks for sharing!! xx

7. Zara February 25, 2014 at 9:33 pm #

I’m a winter girl too. I cant wait to pull on a pair of boots and a warm coat.
    I’m looking forward to making stews and soups and hopefully this year with the first of our home-grown butternut pumpkins.
    x

Katie March 1, 2014 at 8:56 pm #

Your a girl after my owh heart Zara! I am longing for boots and coats and soups and stews and I absolutely looooove butternut pumpkin. SO good!! xx

8. Kathy February 28, 2014 at 1:54 pm #

It’s so exciting growing veggies and picking fresh produce from your back yard but yes…the 40 degrees heat is not good for humans let alone veggies. Glad your gardening adventures have produced some yummy food for you both to eat. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

9. Sarah @ Chantille Fleur March 11, 2014 at 8:05 pm #

Just catching up on some of your posts that I’ve missed :-) This one has made me rather hungry!
    Rilla, my Border Collie, used to dig up the sweet potato plant in the backyard when she was a puppy, and eat them. One day, when she must have eaten them all, we caught her in the pantry trying to steal the ones from there!

Sarah x