Clover Clementine

Clover Clementine 2

Clover Clementine 1

Today our family of seven (two humans, two cats, one dog and two chickens) became a family of eight! The newest addition is Miss Clover Clementine. Reuben and I had been talking about adopting a second dog for quite some time. Up until recently my mum was living just around the corner from us and I was taking Daisy over to have play dates with her dogs most days. My mum recently moved out of town and though she is still close, she’s no longer within walking distance. Since Daisy hasn’t been seeing my mum’s dogs every day she’s seemed a bit glum. I think she became quite accustomed to being part of a pack.

We’ve been checking shelter websites and animal rescue facebook pages, waiting for the right little doggie to catch our eye and join our family. Daisy is still very frightened of people and dogs she doesn’t know, so though we would have been happy to adopt an older dog, we thought a pup (that Daisy would be less likely to feel intimidated by) would be easier on Dais. We figured a puppy would have a better chance of bonding with Daisy too.

This morning, while we were eating pancakes, I checked the Lost Dogs Home website and was struck by a funny, whiskery little face. The description said she was three months old, sweet and a little bit timid. Perfect! Reubs called to see if the pup was still available and, much to our delight, she was. The shelter was closing early so we had just half an hour to make it there before closing, and we live precisely half an hour away, so we scrambled to the car and made it just as they closed. The moment we laid eyes on little Clover wiggling at us through the gate, we were certain she was destined to be a part of our family.

The lady who processed the paperwork for Clover’s adoption didn’t have any information about how she came to be there, but we know she was one of three puppies. Her siblings had already been adopted out and Clover was the last one to find a home. We think she might be a bull arab cross wolfhound, but just as with Daisy, we’ll never really know her heritage.

Clover is settling in wonderfully. She is such a sweet and affectionate little scrap. As to be expected, Daisy is a bit jealous, but they are getting along well. I’m confident they’ll be the best of friends in no time!

Not a day goes by when I am not glad we have chosen to adopt cats and dogs in need. I truly believe they understand and that they are grateful for the happy life we have given them. We in turn are so grateful for the joy they bring us every day. We love our ragtag flock of rescue babies with all our hearts!

PS Remember when Daisy came into our lives?! On one hand that seems like only yesterday, but on the other hand I can’t remember life without her!

PPS We have decided that in 2014 we will try to follow a blog post schedule. From now on we will be posting every Sunday, rather than at random.  We’ve come to realise we need structure in place to do things consistently, but we don’t want to commit to posting so frequently that it becomes a chore. This feels like a good balance.

Tags: , ,

23 Responses to “Clover Clementine”

1. Lisa January 6, 2014 at 3:05 am #

She is adorable! And I love the name you’ve picked for her too ^___^

Katie January 6, 2014 at 10:23 pm #

Hehe, thank you! I think it’s a pretty good match for Daisy Delilah. :)

2. Katie January 6, 2014 at 4:05 am #

What a little sweetie!

I just came in from throwing a tennis ball in the yard with our (now two-year-old) rescue pup. Jack loves to play but likes being an only dog, it seems (he gets horribly jealous if we pay attention to other dogs!)…still, bringing home another fur ball is often tempting!

3. Jennanana January 6, 2014 at 4:45 am #

She’s beautiful! Congratulations on the new member of the Humble family =]

4. Life With The Crew January 6, 2014 at 5:02 am #

Just adorable! I love the name Clementine – if I ever have a pig, that is name that it will have – I just think it sounds perfect for a pig! So glad you adopted from a shelter. Currently 4 of my 6 dogs are from a shelter and I have fostered several others in the past. And don’t know if its coincidence or not, but the two that are from breeders have the worst attitudes! (But of course I still love them dearly!)

Katie January 6, 2014 at 10:33 pm #

Oh, I would love a pig! I’ve always wanted a pig. They are so cute and clever. And I agree, Clementine would make a lovely pig name! xx

5. carrie loves (@carrieloves) January 6, 2014 at 5:09 am #

Miss Clover Clementine is absolutely adorable – I have always had a thing for brindle dogs. Congratulations!

6. Shirley January 6, 2014 at 9:12 am #

She is such a beautiful little puppy and I love her name too. All my cats and dogs have always been ‘rescues’ and at times in my life, they have rescued me. Animals bring such joy but those like Clover Clementine who have been given a second chance, seem to give even more love back; they truly are grateful.

Katie January 6, 2014 at 10:37 pm #

I couldn’t agree more Shirley, with everything you said. At times our rescues have rescued me too. xx

7. Meg January 6, 2014 at 9:59 am #

Congratulations on the new addition, she is super spunky! And thanks for the heads up about posting every Sunday . . . I will look forward to Sundays!

8. Faith January 6, 2014 at 3:46 pm #

She’s so adorable! Her beard face reminds me of a German Wirehaired Pointer, but her coloring and shape of her head reminds me a lot of a pit bull! Either way I’m sure she’s very happy in her new home :)

Katie January 6, 2014 at 10:58 pm #

She is such a happy little girl! She doesn’t look particularly pit bullish in real life, her nose is too long and narrow and she’s not nuggety like a pit bull. She’s very tall and leggy. But she’s definitely got something wirehaired in her. I love that beardy little face!! :)

9. Zara January 6, 2014 at 8:43 pm #

Those beautiful little puppy dog eyes. Clover Clementine looks like a real sweetie.
    Both our cats were from the dairy where I used to work. They had a fairly rough farm life so really are very happy being house cats now.
    x

10. Susan January 7, 2014 at 5:11 am #

We got our dog from a rescue centre. I’d always go for a rescue animal because there are so many that need homes. I also enjoyed reading your post about how you got Daisy. You’ve done a lovely thing and I hope Clover settles in well to her new home :-)

11. Miss Piggy January 7, 2014 at 5:42 pm #

Awww, Clover looks like a sweetie. And, I agree – rescue pets are the best. We love being foster parents for our local cat shelter.

12. Sarah Jane January 8, 2014 at 9:30 pm #

Oh my goodness she’s adorable!!! I love her name too :-) She’s going to be a big dog, isn’t she, looking at her paws. I’m sure her and Daisy will be inseparable in no time!
    I’m thinking about getting a second Border Collie at the moment, as I would love Rilla to have a friend to work with :-)

Sarah xo

Katie January 12, 2014 at 8:26 pm #

Yep, she’s going to be TALL! I think she’s already grown heaps!! x

13. Katie B January 9, 2014 at 12:48 pm #

Hi Katie,

She’s a gorgeous little pup, my family recently got a rescue puppy from facebook (due to my beloved 11yr old girl having to be put down). When I took Luna (the new puppy) to our local vets, they said you can easily get a DNA test to find out what bits and pieces are in your pooch. I am not sure on cost as we didn’t opt for one but I’m sure any nice vet may be able to do something like that for you.

My hubby and I think our “little” girl is a Doberman x Boxer but we’re like you and waiting to see just how big she gets.
    Katie B.

Katie January 12, 2014 at 8:27 pm #

I have heard about those tests! We’re not really bothered what our girls are, but it would be very interesting to find out… Sounds like your baby is going to be a big girl! I think Clover will be too. :)

14. Sarah January 10, 2014 at 8:58 am #

She is so lovely and what a gorgeous name. We are thinking about getting a little friend for our dog Leo as he is very sociable, but then again I think he enjoys having all of the attention for himself! I look forward to seeing more photos of your little cuties! Take care. xx

15. Cath @mybeardedpigeon January 12, 2014 at 1:31 pm #

My dog is 14 this year, We love him so much and we can’t decide if he needs the company of another dog in his senior years of if he would be annoyed by a puppy. We would love another dog though.

16. Paula January 14, 2014 at 2:08 am #

FELICITACIONES!!!
    Adoption means saving a life, I’m so happy for you and Miss Clover Clementine!!!
    I have two rescued dogs, I adopted them from the shelter and they are my best friends, they are part of my family.

CONGRATULATIONS!
    Lots of love from Argentina!

1. Lately… | House of Humble - February 3, 2014

[…] have been grateful that our little family has adjusted so well to our latest addition and have been so pleased to see Daisy and Clover quickly become great […]