The Veggie Patch

Adding Compost
Last Minute Decisions
Planting Out
Almost Finished
Pop in a Box
Finished

Today was a good one. After months of planning and dreaming, this afternoon I finally planted some veggies in our first raised garden beds! Katie and I put the beds together about a month ago but the last few weeks have slipped by so quickly, until today I just haven’t had a chance to do anything more with them. This morning we made a trip to the garden centre and came home with lots of seedlings. I couldn’t wait to get stuck in!

I started off by adding some organic compost to the soil. It had been sitting bare for a month so was in need of a nutrient top up. I would love to have used our own compost but unfortunately it wasn’t quite ready, so I settled for store bought stuff. Then the planting begun! I put in tomatoes, capsicums, beans, peas, basil, coriander, dill, zucchini, cucumber, rockmelon, watermelon and rainbow chard. Once the plants were all in the ground Katie and I mulched them with some lovely lucerne hay and gave them a nice long drink.

I’d love to grow more vegetables including kale, artichokes and some more unusual things, but we’ve got limited space right now and it’s probably best I don’t take on too much too soon anyway. Next year we plan to put in at least two more beds so we’ll have room for double what we’ve planted this year. But I think this is plenty for now. I just can’t wait to watch these little seedlings grow up into edible treasures!

Reuben

Tags: , , , ,

Reuben

About Reuben

Reuben is a crochet man and has a knitting machine for a brain. He likes dinosaurs, The Beatles and alpacas (among many other things). Reuben isn't afraid of dancing in public.

23 Responses to “The Veggie Patch”

1. Penny October 7, 2013 at 12:49 am #

There is nothing more exciting that growing your own veggies, well done for getting there and I look coward to seeing what you harvest xox Penny

• Reuben
      Reuben October 7, 2013 at 4:54 pm #

Thanks Penny! :)

2. Faith October 7, 2013 at 6:20 am #

I love reading all these lovely spring/growing/gardening posts from the Aussie blogs on my feed.. it’s a nice contrast to the look of my dying garden and fall-going ons around here! I’m exciting for your veggie patch, looks like it will be a great spring and summer! Hope the chooks are doing well too :)

• Reuben
      Reuben October 7, 2013 at 4:55 pm #

The chooks are great! We can’t quite imagine our little family without them now!

3. Zara October 7, 2013 at 7:57 am #

Love how when there is a box in sight the cat always steps right in.
    In a month or two just think how green the garden beds will be and you’ll have fresh produce right at your door. x

• Reuben
      Reuben October 7, 2013 at 4:57 pm #

Poppy is seriously box obsessed. It doesn’t matter how small it is, she will find a way to squeeze inside, haha!

4. Ngaio October 7, 2013 at 8:09 am #

So fun! Last summer I was at a flat that had space for me to put in a patch (not a raised bed unfortunately!) but I had so much fun going out and getting things done out each evening! I grew mostly tomatos and capsicums which turned out well!

Sadly this year, current house doesn’t have space for my plants, might have to get some pots for some cheery tomato plants!

Ngaio xx

• Reuben
      Reuben October 7, 2013 at 5:00 pm #

You should! We grew tomatoes in pots on our balcony when we lived in the city and it was great. :)

5. Claire October 7, 2013 at 9:02 am #

Looking awesome guys!

• Reuben
      Reuben October 7, 2013 at 5:00 pm #

Thank you! :)

6. Meg October 7, 2013 at 9:06 am #

Wasn’t it a super lovely weekend for gardening! We (partner, two sons and myself) spent the entire day yesterday pottering in the garden, mirroring what you guys were doing in your backyard! We made a scarecrow, pulled out the last of the kale and fed it to the chooks to make way for the tomatoes which my partner has grown from seed. We planted new seeds in tubes (herbs, pumpkins etc.), and beans in the raised beds. I cleaned up the berry canes and weeded around the base, then topped up mulch (pea straw bought from the farm down the road). The boys sat in the veggie patch and ate a lots of peas (sugar snap and snow)! We shredded pruning waste and added it to the compost. And we planted some little herb seedlings and surrounded them with fences to stop our dogs. Our berries (blackberry, raspberry and strawberries), chillies and herbs are all growing in fruit bins that we have filled with soil/manure/compost. We bought the bins from an orchard near my Mum and Dad for $15 each, lined them with black brickies plastic and punched holes for drainage. They work so well, and they are in sunny space along a fence in our backyard that we wouldn’t otherwise use for anything. Maybe this could be an option for you guys? So great to see you loving getting your hands in the earth! It is addictive!

• Reuben
      Reuben October 7, 2013 at 4:05 pm #

It was a glorious weekend for gardening! It’s funny you should mention the orchard bins because we’ve actually talked about doing that! We have a couple of blueberries and raspberries in a little garden along one side our house, but I’d love to get some more. And more herbs! :)

7. Ali October 7, 2013 at 9:56 pm #

That all looks fantastic Reuben, a lot of work but very satisfying, you will be popping outside every day to see how much everything has grown !, I cannot wait to see the future pictures. xx

8. Charlotte October 8, 2013 at 3:35 am #

This looks so exciting! I can’t wait to have my own veggie patch! Good luck, I hope it all grows to be giant and tasty!

9. jake October 8, 2013 at 4:34 am #

Congrat’s! Looks beautiful. A bit of a food garden is so rewarding, looking forward to updates as the seaon progresses. You’ve done a great job. It’s surprising how much can be grown in a small space. Cute little helper – i have a little calico stray that likes gardens and boxes too.

Frosty fall weather here in Canada – the garden is mostly finished except for tough stuff like kale, carrot and beets. I planted the garlic beds and some daffodils over the weekend, in anticipation of next year’s garden. I’ve also been dyeing some yarn from dye plants i’ve grown for some winter knitting projects – another fun garden-y/craft-y thing to explore.

Cheers,
    Jake

10. Christina October 8, 2013 at 8:35 am #

Hooray for veggie gardens! Your raised beds look great, and so lovely and neat. My veggie patch is a happy mess at the moment, as it tends to get between seasons. Tomatoes have self seeded between rows of carrots and beetroot, the strawberries are sharing their last berries, the lettuce is going to seed, but I did manage to turn the soil and plant four rows of carrot seeds and a boarder of aster seeds this weekend. :)

11. Tracey October 8, 2013 at 11:40 am #

Those raised veggie beds are looking fantastic! I’m hoping to do something similar in the back yard (once I get around to clearing out the current jungle of plants). ;)

12. Raynor October 8, 2013 at 1:59 pm #

I’ve had a kind of blog blackout for a while, but it’s so lovely to catch up with you guys again. :3

The garden looks fantastic! Can’t wait to see what blooms. ^_^

13. Shirley October 8, 2013 at 11:03 pm #

Your veggie patch looks lovely – it’s such a wonderful thing to be able to go out into the garden and pick your own veggies and herbs to add to your meals. Your new home is coming along in leaps and bounds – enjoy!

14. The Life of Clare October 9, 2013 at 6:18 am #

Your garden looks so lovely! those sweet little seedlings are going to shoot up in no time!

15. Molly October 9, 2013 at 8:27 am #

Your raised beds looks so tidy! We have one raised bed for our vege garden but we started extending our veges into our regular garden as well, and we have herbs growing all over the place. I’ve grown our veges from seed for the first time this year, and they are nearly ready to transplant. We’ve just come into daylight savings here in NZ, so its nice to spend a bit more time pottering around outside.

So cute to see Poppy getting involved! Our cat absolutely loves it when we’re outside in the garden, he thinks everything is a big game.

16. Bek @ Just For Daisy October 26, 2013 at 9:15 pm #

Your veggie patch looks brilliant! We’re in the process of collecting seeds and pulling out our Winter crops and planting new plants for Summer.
    I love your blog – found it tonight via Her Library Adventures and the Kidspot Voices 2013 :)
    Added you to my feedly and can’t wait to get to know you and your blog more :)

17. Mike (CraftyDad) October 30, 2013 at 3:35 am #

Reuben -

As you’re planting your garden, I’m tearing out worn and tattered plants from my raised beds. My tomatoes and cucumbers did very well this year. So strange these ‘hemisphere’ things. It’s fall in my part of the world and you’re in the spring, gardening season.

Your garden looks great! I hope everything blooms and you have a bountiful harvest as the seasons progress.

I also want to pass along my sincerest sympathy to you on the loss of the baby. My heart goes out to you and Katie.

Take care. Be strong.