Chickens!

Reuben Evie and Poppy

Katie and Beatrice

Poppy on the Chicken Coop

Beatrice and Evie

Reuben and Evie

Today was an exciting one around here! Our little family of five became a family of seven, with the addition of two sweet little Wyandotte hens. Though we were originally thinking of getting Pekins, after hearing from a few local chicken experts that Pekins tend not to be fantastic layers and discovering there were some lovely Wyandottes for sale not far from where we live, we decided on Wyandottes. And already we are so glad we did! These girls are so calm and friendly.

We have named the partridge coloured hen (the tan one) Evie and the silver lace hen (the black and white one) Beatrice, after the main characters in The House of Eliott. They’re still young but should start laying any time now. We can’t wait to collect our first homegrown eggs. It might sound silly but getting chickens feels like quite a milestone in our journey to a simpler kind of life. We’ve been looking forward to this for such a long time!

Aside from the chooks, it’s been fairly quiet at our place this week. Our renovations came to a bit of a grinding halt when Reubs fell off a ladder (he’s ok, he was just very bruised!) but we hope to get back to it soon. Oh and thanks to everyone who has expressed concern over Daisy dog’s painful hip since I posted about it a little while back. She had a course of anti-inflammatories and has since been on a doggie glucosamine supplement, which seems to be making a difference.

I hope all is well with you. Wishing you much goodness for the rest of the week!

Tags: , , ,

Katie is a coffee-drinking, granny square-making, op-shopping daydreamer. Katie likes vintage dresses, Pictionary, doilies and colourful tights. Katie's raspberry baked cheesecake will rock your socks off.

31 Responses to “Chickens!”

1. Jane Y. August 13, 2013 at 11:14 pm #

how wonderful! congrats on your extended family! :) the colors of the hens are beautiful

2. imperfectly natural mama August 14, 2013 at 12:25 am #

Oooh I can’t tell you how jealous I am that you have chickens, I have wanted them for so long but the deeds to our house say “no poultry” Boooo! Anyway, excellent choice on the Wyandottes, I would have suggested them myself, I thinks it’s what I would get. They look very happy, do tell us what you do with the first egg!

Katie August 15, 2013 at 12:55 pm #

We received our first egg yesterday! I’m still ridiculously excited about it! But the egg is so cute and little, I’m not sure what to do with it… :)

3. Helen August 14, 2013 at 6:24 am #

What gorgeous birds! I’d love to hear a bit about how easy they are to look after and if they settle well with your other animals around

Katie August 15, 2013 at 12:59 pm #

So far they have been very, very easy to look after! All we really have to do is top up their food and change their water every day and clean out their coop every few weeks when it gets grotty. And thankfully, we’ve had no problems with the cats or dog! When we first brought them home Daisy was a little too curious about them, but we told her off and she knows now to leave them alone. All is well! :)

4. Demetria Provatas August 14, 2013 at 6:25 am #

so sweet! i love that first photo!

5. Kathy August 14, 2013 at 6:36 am #

I totally understand how excited you are getting chickens. We’ve had them for 3 years and still love having them. Fresh eggs from out your back door is so exciting. Wait until yu get that veggie garden in full swing even more exciting to collect things from the garden to eat for dinner. Enjoy your little chickens. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

Katie August 15, 2013 at 1:00 pm #

I can’t wait to get the veggie garden going! Things are starting to fall into place! :)

6. sarah August 14, 2013 at 7:31 am #

Congratulations on your growing family. Beautiful girls. Great names from a couple of my old favorites. I’d be feeling very chuffed at reaching that milestone as well. I dream of having chickens one day too.

7. jake August 14, 2013 at 7:39 am #

what an a photogenic bunch! very nice photog’s. They seem to be evocative of your point of view. I wish i could have egg chickens – i have an acre of land, but town bylaws don’t permit chickens. grrr. I do have a decent size veg patch tho’. Looking forward to hearing about your further homesteading adventures.

cheers,
    jake

Katie August 15, 2013 at 2:27 pm #

Such a shame you can’t have chickens! They’d love roaming about your lovely acre. I’m a bit jealous of your veggie garden. Can’t wait to get ours going!

8. caroline scott August 14, 2013 at 9:19 am #

How exciting about your chickens!!!!! Glad that Daisy is feeling better!!! I hope Reuben is feeling better soon…that is very scary to fall off a ladder!!!! Hugs to all!!! ;)

Katie August 15, 2013 at 2:27 pm #

He is on the mend now, thanks Caroline! x

9. Monica August 14, 2013 at 11:00 am #

yea for chickens…I’d love some someday. Just have to say I used to adore watching House of Elliott and think naming them after the designing sisters was too cute!

Katie August 15, 2013 at 2:28 pm #

Hehe, it’s one of my favourite shows! :)

10. Cassandra August 14, 2013 at 11:39 am #

Yay!! I’m so excited for you! We’ve had our girls for over a year now and I can’t imagine living without them anymore. I’m also really glad you got gorgeous heritage breed chickens instead of the factory layer type. Our girls are Light Sussex crossed with Wyandotte – our biggest girl is over 3kgs, so they won’t stay little for long :) Glad to hear that Reuben is ok. Also, on dogs, our 13yr old arthritic girl has glucosamine in the morning and regular fish oil in the evening… it’s gotten her through another cold winter. Glad to hear it’s helping Daisy.

Katie August 15, 2013 at 2:29 pm #

Oh, fish oil – that’s a very good idea. Thanks heaps for the suggestion Cassandra! x

11. Meg August 14, 2013 at 2:32 pm #

What lovely birds!! I am sure they will provide you with hours of quiet entertainment – chooks are beautiful to watch as they potter about doing their own chooky thing . . . and of course the delicious fresh eggs! Not to mention he food/kitchen waste recycling and manure/fertiliser creation! And pest control – eating slugs/snails/bugs etc.! What excellent little creatures they are!

Katie August 15, 2013 at 2:30 pm #

I know, they are so handy! And cute! :)

12. dusty country road August 14, 2013 at 10:03 pm #

Yay! Enjoy them, I find there is hours of fun in watching chicken antics.
    They are very pretty looking birds too.

13. Katie August 15, 2013 at 12:23 pm #

Awwww having chickens is one of my dreams! When I was a teenager we had two quails – those were wonderful, friendly and laid an egg each every day! I also love your chicken’s names!

Katie August 15, 2013 at 2:31 pm #

Aw, quails are SO cute! Their eggs must have been tiny!! x

14. Red Coat Studio August 16, 2013 at 1:56 am #

Aww what wonderful additions to your family! x Tamara

15. Tania @ Petit Pixel Design August 16, 2013 at 9:12 am #

Such gorgeous photos of you guys cradling your chickens :)
    (especially love kitty looking on!)
    sorry to hear about Reuben’s fall…I’m glad he’s ok
    Give Daisy a pat from me xx

16. Zara August 16, 2013 at 11:34 am #

Oh how cute are they. Such pretty feathers too.
    Still awaiting our first eggs here too.x

17. The Life of Clare August 17, 2013 at 8:34 am #

Congratulations! Getting chickens was the best thing we ever did I think. They’re so fun, have different personalities and we get 3 eggs a day!

18. shinypigeon August 20, 2013 at 4:09 pm #

So excited for you. We have only been in our house 8 months and we are already eating produce from our back garden! Chickens were always high on my list. Look forward to seeing how they work out for you!

19. Sarah Jane August 27, 2013 at 1:52 pm #

I love Wyandottes, and your two birds are so pretty! Enjoy them! xx

20. Marcelle September 3, 2013 at 8:02 pm #

They are lovely!
    I always wanted Wyandottes for their friendly nature. O boy, when I ever have a bigger garden… :-)

21. sylvie September 11, 2013 at 7:43 pm #

Your blog is so so beautiful !!!!!
    it’s a really nice visit
    have a nice day
    Sylvie from France

22. chloe November 3, 2013 at 1:05 am #

i soooo want chickens but i’m a little terrified the cats wouldn’t play nice x