A Productive Week

Chicken Coop

Entry Hall

Sunbaking

Paint Stripping

This has been a productive week at the humble house! Reubs has taken a few days off, so we could get some serious work done around the house, and we’ve been trying to make the most of it…

Last Saturday we picked up our freebie chicken coop, so now we are on the hunt for some chickens! It’s only small so we are thinking of getting a couple of Pekins to begin with. On Wednesday we bought some wood edging for our veggie patch and two fruit trees – a plum and a plum crossed with an apricot. We are still looking for two pears and maybe a peach. We also bought three roses to go in the flower bed we plan to build under our bedroom window. Now we just need to borrow my mum’s ute to pick up a load of soil.

We’ve also been busy inside! We originally planned to work on our living room this week but in the end decided to focus on the entryway and hallway instead. They are the first things you see when you enter our house and are currently in such a terrible state. We’ve spent the last few days scraping and sanding back 60 years worth of paint, and hopefully we’ll get some fresh paint on the walls over the weekend. I think getting these areas done is going to make such a difference to our shabby house. We can almost feel the difference already!

Often we feel overwhelmed by all that needs to be done to our old home. Our limited time and money never seems to stretch far enough and we are forever discovering new projects and expenses that need our attention… But every now and then, like this week, I see the flutter of light at the end of the tunnel. I catch a glimpse of what this place might be like in a year (or maybe five years) from now, and I know that it’s going to be worth it. While scraping paint, sanding and plastering cracks isn’t fun, I’m certain that in years to come I will look back on this time as a defining, and very special, chapter of our lives.

What have you been up to this week? I hope all is well in your world!!

Tags: , , , ,

Katie is a coffee-drinking, granny square-making, op-shopping daydreamer. Katie likes vintage dresses, Pictionary, doilies and colourful tights. Katie's raspberry baked cheesecake will rock your socks off.

23 Responses to “A Productive Week”

1. Jime Ji August 2, 2013 at 12:23 pm #

That really looks good! And I love to see that the two of you keeps really optimistic about the house!
    I’ve been working on mi thesis in graphic desing, very very close to finish, so it’s been and it’s going to be really tuff this comming weeks, but like you, i’m looking fowards! :)

2. Donna Goat August 2, 2013 at 12:24 pm #

Wow your hallway is so wide and lovely!

It’s going to look so amazing when you are all finished :)

So gorgeous!

Katie August 6, 2013 at 9:32 pm #

It is quite wide isn’t it?! I can’t wait to have it painted and get some art on the walls! x

3. Rowdy Fairy August 2, 2013 at 12:52 pm #

Its great having your own chickens! Nothing better than fresh eggs from your own back yard :-)

Katie August 6, 2013 at 9:34 pm #

I’m so excited about our future homegrown eggs! :)

• Becca August 17, 2013 at 1:52 pm #

Any way you could sketch out the dimensions of your free coop? Kind of how it is put together.?

4. Tania @ Petit Pixel Design August 2, 2013 at 1:20 pm #

I think you and I have the same pet bed for our furry companions :) love that picture of them sunning themselves! nice work with the house…slow & steady it goes, and you will be looking back in no time with a whole other level of love for your sweet little nest xx

5. Rita@thissortaoldlife August 2, 2013 at 3:16 pm #

Today is our 2-year anniversary of living in our house. We still have many, many things we want to do. We still have horrible wallpaper I thought would be down long ago. We still have horrible carpet I thought would be up.

But there’s only so much you can do in a day, and those things don’t keep us from fully living in this place and loving it. The trick for us is not to wait until someday when it’s “done” to really live in it. And honestly? Some of my best memories are from times here when there was even more “wrong” with it. When I relive them, I don’t notice the funky wall colors or furnishings we’ve since replaced. I only see the people in them. I know (from your other posts) that you’re doing the same. It’s all journey, you know? :-)

6. Zara August 2, 2013 at 4:06 pm #

Slow and steady and you will eventually get their.
    The new chicken coop looks lovely, i’m sure the new chooks will be very happy their.
    x

7. Sarah @ Chantille Fleur August 2, 2013 at 5:46 pm #

Wow you have been busy! I love your little chicken house…you’ll love the Pekins, they’re such a cute breed, and always popping with personality! We had a Pekin named Grace, who was a real junkie. If we celebrated a birthday outside she’d try to sample the slices of cake :-D

Sarah xx

8. Ailsa August 2, 2013 at 10:15 pm #

I can’t wait to follow you on your chicken owner journey! Have you thought about getting some rescue hens? That’s what I wish I had done, but can’t fit anymore in now, we have 5! I bet you will love whatever you get.

Katie August 6, 2013 at 9:30 pm #

We have thought about rescue hens, yes! I definitely need to investigate further. :)

9. Jane Y. August 3, 2013 at 1:20 am #

this is so great what you are doing with your home. i’m addicted to the hgtv show rehab addict and love how she restores old homes to their former glory. i always tell my husband that it would be so nice to buy an older home and put our own touches to it while keeping the old. and chickens! how lovely!

• Nanna Chel August 3, 2013 at 8:16 am #

I am sure it will look lovely when it is finished. It just takes time. I dare say you are aware of the asbestos issue with renovating older homes and also the fact that paint from years back may have had lead in it. I think ours did when my husband bought our house many years ago and he had to be careful when renovating. You will look back in years to come and feel very satisfied I imagine.

10. aimymichelle August 3, 2013 at 11:16 am #

wow looks great!

11. Brenda August 3, 2013 at 5:07 pm #

Hi Katie, I love the chicken coop, and how exciting you are doing some indoor work! Enjoy the whole renovating process, you will look back on it with fond memories, as long as you take in the whole experience, it is a journey, not a job, there is no rush, just enjoy it xxBrenda

12. Alana August 4, 2013 at 9:14 am #

Hi Katie,

Oooo…. chickens! So adorable. Have you thought about getting some rescue hens? If you contact one of the farm sanctuaries (try Edgar’s mission) or a local animal liberation organisation and they will be able to point you in the right direction.

A while ago, Edgar’s mission was trying to find homes for 100s of rescued hens.

xx

Katie August 6, 2013 at 9:26 pm #

We have thought about it! I looked into it once a while ago and it seemed like Edgar’s Mission had quite a lengthy process and tough criteria for adoption, and I wasn’t sure we’d pass, but I should look into it again. I would love to give some rescue hens a happy home! x

13. domestickate August 4, 2013 at 10:09 am #

a plum and a plum crossed with an apricot. We call them pluots ’round here!

I’m happy you accomplished so much this week. You two are seriously hard workers!

Katie August 6, 2013 at 9:21 pm #

Yes, I have heard them called pluots, apriums, apriplums and plumcots. I’ve been calling ours a “plumpycot” because I think it sounds cute, haha! x

14. Molly August 6, 2013 at 6:50 pm #

Hi Katie

Good luck with the chickens! We would love to get some but unfortunately we don’t have room where we are. We own a little cottage that we (mostly hubby) have been doing up over the last few years, and we just got new carpet! All the hard work is worth it, and every little bit helps. Getting ready to paint is such hard work but when the paint brushes come out it doesn’t take any time at all, and it will make such a difference! Good luck

X
    Molly

15. Kathryn August 7, 2013 at 8:22 pm #

I’ve had a productive week too. Recently cut my work hours down to try and be a more ‘present’ mum. It’s been nice to be able to pick my son up from school (as opposed to after school care), and chill out together in the afternoon. Working less means I’m on top of the washing, finished a uni assignment, actually posted on my blog AND played Lego.

Yay for a calmer, more productive life!

16. Knitting Log August 11, 2013 at 3:43 am #

I would like to provide my little contribition on a productive week by asking people to continue participating in this great discussions, they have helped me a lot and I hope others can also benefit from it. Thanks for the article and hope to read from you again. Thank you for the info Katie.