Hello Little Garlics

Garlic Shoots

Poppy The Raspberry Gardener

Since we moved into this old house I’ve developed a bit of a habit of standing at our kitchen window and looking over our little yard. The small, grassy space outside our kitchen is where I plan to set up our veggie garden in spring. Every time I make tea, coffee or even walk through the kitchen I tend to stop and gaze out, watching where the shadows sit, looking at where the grass grows best and planning where to put our veg patch.

At the moment our garden is pretty much nonexistant, but there is one small bed that runs along the south side of the house. Over the last couple of months we’ve acquired a couple of blueberry and raspberry plants to go in there, along with the existing Hydrangeas, Fuschia and mystery bush. The most recent addition to the garden bed is garlic. A few weeks ago I discovered a few cloves of garlic that had sprouted in the back of the pantry. The weather had started to cool down and according to all my books it was the perfect time to plant garlic so, figuring I had nothing to lose, I threw them in the ground. For the last week we’ve been house-sitting for Katie’s mum, and when I came home this morning and checked all the plants I was delighted to see that little garlic shoots had pushed their way out of the soil.

Garlic Shoot

We eat a lot of garlic and I know that we’ll grow lots of it in the future, so it’ll be great to see how these little garlics do. Kind of like a test run. I’m looking forward to watching them grow as I peek out our kitchen window over the next couple of months.

What’s happening in your garden right now?

Reuben

Tags: , , ,

Reuben

About Reuben

Reuben is a crochet man and has a knitting machine for a brain. He likes dinosaurs, The Beatles and alpacas (among many other things). Reuben isn't afraid of dancing in public.

18 Responses to “Hello Little Garlics”

1. Meg June 9, 2013 at 8:42 pm #

Hey Reuben, we too have garlic growing (about 200 cloves planted!), and onions, silver beet, spinach, kale, broad beans, peas, cauliflower and broccoli. We are still harvesting green capsicums and chillies and some autumn raspberries. We have more limes than we know what to do with (I’m going to try making lime jelly tomorrow) and I’ve made one batch of pomegranate jelly, and one batch of feijoa jam (we only had enough feijoa to make one batch!). There was something very satisfying about making scones for my family yesterday and all of us testing the jelly and jam I’d made the day before. It must have been okay because my Mum and Dad took jars home! We have found growing garlic to be very successful and this year, as we’d grown so much, my partner dried some in a food dehydrator . . . a great way to store it. Happy gardening to you and Katie.

• Reuben
      Reuben June 11, 2013 at 6:10 pm #

Wow Meg, you’re garden sounds amazing, as do your homemade scones and feijoa jam! I can’t wait until Katie and I are at the same point. That’s the dream! :)

2. Allie June 10, 2013 at 1:41 am #

Unfortunately I have no garden because I have the worst gray thumb of anyone I know! I enjoy living vicariously through your pictures though! Hope they turn out well :)

Allie @ callmesassafras.wordpress.com

3. kelly // apockylypse June 10, 2013 at 2:09 am #

We did a little raised bed garden, which I’ve been sharing pictures of on my blog. Well…I thought it would be little, but apparently with the rain we’ve had lately it’s decided it’s going to be all grown up. We just started seeing little blooms on our tomato plants & bigger blooms on our zucchini. I’m not a big veggies eater, but I find myself so excited when I see them growing. Maybe this is just what I need to branch out in my food groups!

• Reuben
      Reuben June 11, 2013 at 6:13 pm #

We planted some tomatoes and zucchini when were living in Bendigo and they were so easy to grow – definitely a great place to start. I’m really looking forward to planting more in Spring!

4. Louise June 10, 2013 at 3:40 am #

I find home grown garlic is not as harsh as shop bought. Looking forward to see how your veggie patch comes along (especially as your growing season is the complete opposite to ours).

5. Kathy June 10, 2013 at 9:31 am #

My 9 year old and myself planted our first garlic ever a month ago and we too were delighted when they starting rising out of the groun. It’s so exciting to think we are growing garlic ourselves which exactly what you are feeling. Veggie gardening is such a feel good thing. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

6. Rachael Alsbury @ Frugal Faye June 10, 2013 at 2:45 pm #

It is our first year attempting a garden…we have no idea what we are doing. We have some tomato plants that look alright and one cucumber that is taking off. Other than that, it’s a little sad around here! I don’t know how it is possible to kill lavender, but I did…

• Reuben
      Reuben June 11, 2013 at 6:18 pm #

Katie’s quite good at killing things that should be unkillable, haha! So you’re not alone. And don’t give up! Stick with it and I’m sure you’ll get there. The first try is always going to be the hardest. :)

7. Koren June 10, 2013 at 11:25 pm #

Oh my gosh, your kitteh! Way. Too. Cute. :D

• Reuben
      Reuben June 11, 2013 at 6:19 pm #

Ha! I know!

8. Elise June 11, 2013 at 12:27 am #

Your garden sounds familiar! I have a little space where I live with my boyfriend and am amazed at how well our herbs are coming along. Good luck with the garlic. Yum!

9. Rita@thissortaoldlife June 11, 2013 at 5:39 am #

We just planted our first garden a few weeks ago. We don’t know what we’re doing, either, but we jumped in anyway. Our goal is to grow the ingredients for tomato sauce. And some carrots. :-) I hope everything grows as easily as your garlic is!

• Reuben
      Reuben June 11, 2013 at 6:22 pm #

How exciting Rita! Growing the ingredients to make tomato sauce is a brilliant idea.Good luck with your first garden! :)

10. Cheryl Nicholl June 12, 2013 at 10:09 am #

Hi there Katie & Rueben!
    You’ll never guess what happened to me today! I was at a fabric store (to buy a red knit to alter a bathing suit- yes I do that) and on my way to check-out I happened upon a gorgeous magazine, Artful Blogging, and I fanned a few pages, and there you were! Fabulous! And now I’m here and I really like you guys so I’m going to follow along and hope you give my place a look. HappyHappy! Love the kitty!!!

11. Kirsty@Bowerbird Blue June 13, 2013 at 1:25 am #

Garlic is super easy to grow, it doesn’t like competition so try and plant it in a block. Plant heaps, its so easy to store, its one of the vegies we are fully self sufficient all year in. Cutting off the scapes helps give you bigger bulbs and they are yummy chopped up in in a stir fry. I love watching those little green heads pop up from the soil.

12. The Life of Clare June 13, 2013 at 7:02 am #

Every spare spot we have seems to have garlic in it at the moment! It’s so wonderful isn’t it!

13. Susanne July 5, 2013 at 4:48 pm #

How nice to grow your own garlic!! We eat a lot of garlic too, but I’ve never tried to plant it. We just recently build a special little area for growing vegetables, but so far I’ve only planted salad and carrots there. Maybe should try garlic next year, if it’s possible here with our dreary weather.