Thrifty Finds

It’s been a little while since we posted about our op-shop finds, so I thought today I’d share some of our most recent treasures. We haven’t done a lot of thrifting lately, but have managed to squeeze in a few op-shop visits and garage sales here and there…

Vintage Tablecloths

I stumbled across a whole stack of vintage tablecloths at a garage sale last weekend. Naturally, I took the lot! I really can’t say no to pretty vintage linens.

Teaset

I ummed and ahhed about this tea set, but in the end the fact it was complete and only $5 won me over. Because all of our plates and most of our mugs are vintage and have been gathered on our adventures, barely anything in our kitchen matches. Though I love our mismatched, scrappy collection, complete sets are so nice.

Vintage Apron

I rarely think to wear one when I’m actually cooking, but I love vintage aprons. This one with its cute floral print just might be my favourite ever.

Bedside Tables

We haven’t had bedside tables since we lived in Sydney, as our bedroom in Bendigo was too narrow to fit them in. These 70s tables were $25 for the set and they go with our old bed so perfectly. (Oh and look! We’re finally off the floor living room floor and in our bedroom!!)

Granny Blankets

Over the last couple of years we have acquired about eleventy million granny blankets, so I try to practice restraint and be selective about the ones I bring home these days, but I couldn’t resist these two. The colours are so good!

Vintage Serving Tray

Speaking of so good, this incredibly retro serving tray was $2! Yes!

Vintage Sheets

And last but not least, two more vintage sheets for my ever growing collection. The orange one matches the blue sheet from my last thrifty finds post! One day I hope to turn all my lovely old sheets into beautiful quilts… (and some more dresses!)

Have you had any great thrifty finds lately?

Tags: , , , ,

29 Responses to “Thrifty Finds”

1. Bianca May 20, 2013 at 1:16 am #

My eyes basically turned into (envious, green) love hearts upon seeing those tablecloths! I picked up a great little bundle at a garage sale recently too. They really made such beautiful textiles patterns back in the day – I often wonder who designed these lovely patterns. Loved seeing your finds! And I love hearing about your house adventures. We are getting a little closer to that little dream, though talking finances with banks is definitely my least favourite part. We may possibly have to go down the guarantor path, how did you find that process? :)

Katie May 20, 2013 at 12:28 pm #

The process itself was kind of hideous (the paperwork, oh the paperwork!) but I think that’s always the case when it comes to asking the bank for a loan… Though not for everyone, the guarantor path was perfect for us. We’ve always paid our rent on time and never had trouble paying our bills but, with the high cost of renting, we just couldn’t manage to save a deposit as well. My mum knows we are reliable with our bills and, because we bought such a cheap house with such low repayments, she was totally confident that we’d have no problem paying our mortgage. If you have someone who is happy to act as guarantor and you know you’ll be comfortably able to make the repayments, I think it’s a great option. Much better than renting and paying off someone else’s mortgage! Just do your research! x

2. Jime Ji May 20, 2013 at 2:57 am #

Looove the blankets! I have one made by my mother, lovely but not even close to those, so perfects and colourfull! I’m glad that the two of you finally have a bedroom, yey!
    Did I mention that I’m myself a knitter to? :)

3. uncustomary May 20, 2013 at 3:34 am #

Absolutely love the apron! Nice find :)

4. Heather May 20, 2013 at 6:16 am #

beautiful tablecloths, I don’t see many like that here. I would jump on them if i did, nice blankets too!

5. Sarah May 20, 2013 at 6:29 am #

Gorgeous finds!!! Makes me want to do go and do some serious thrifting!! x

6. Katie May 20, 2013 at 6:40 am #

What fantastic finds! The tablecloths, granny blankets and that tray are particularly appealing to me thanks to the gorgeously bright colours :) Well done, you! xx

7. Heidi May 20, 2013 at 6:50 am #

Those vintage linens are simply gorgeous and those granny blankets are super cute :)

8. Librarygirl May 20, 2013 at 7:47 am #

Great haul!

9. Tania May 20, 2013 at 8:05 am #

Fantastic vintage finds there Katie, I love them all!!

x

10. Helen May 20, 2013 at 8:42 am #

That tea set is lovely especially for the price and the granny blanket is perfect

11. moose & bird May 20, 2013 at 9:31 am #

Oh my! What fabulous finds. I do love your collection of tablecloths. I’ve found a few treasures lately. An old typewriter, some floral sheets and yummy vintage embroideries. Have a lovely week. Melinda x

Katie May 20, 2013 at 12:31 pm #

I’m so jealous of your typewriter! I have a mild vintage typewriter obsession… x

12. Cassandra May 20, 2013 at 2:30 pm #

Some seriously good treasures there!! You’re inspiring me to hit up the thrift shops this afternoon….. I must be good, I must be good…. Trying so hard to edit and de-clutter at the moment ;)

13. Louise May 20, 2013 at 6:01 pm #

What a lovely collection of goodies. I’d probably use your tablecloths for sewing projects, along with the sheets. I’m jealous of your granny blankets, they’re not something I cn usually find in our charity shops. Your bedside tables look lovely and solid too. I assume that’s Daisy’s bed by tge side of yours.
    My latest finds are a couple of embroidered tablecloths and tray cloths, a couple of sheets and a lovely pair of flannelette pilloe cases, knitting wool and some pieces of fabric.

Katie May 21, 2013 at 11:29 am #

Yep, that’s Daisy’s bed. I don’t usually make Reubs sleep on a little bed on the floor ;) Your finds sound lovely! x

14. Jenny May 20, 2013 at 7:18 pm #

Such gorgeous treasures… the yellow tablecloth brought back memories for me… had almost forgotten the cross stitching on gingham tablecloths and aprons that I did many a year ago… love the granny blankets too :)

Jenny ♥

15. Mike (CraftyDad) May 20, 2013 at 10:33 pm #

The tablecloths are beautiful. And I’m sure they will find there way into more photos of your super-cute house.

That tea set was a STEAL! Wow…love that pattern too.

You did very well.

My last thrift-shop find was a wire plant stand. My wife painted it for me this weekend and now it holds our little pots of herbs. It fits perfectly in a corner of our patio.

I promise to post some photos soon. We are so busy getting the house spiffed up for my son’s high school graduation open house. Oh my. Lots of work. But things are coming together very nicely.

You two have a great week!

Katie May 21, 2013 at 11:31 am #

Ooooh, I really need to get some little plant stands! Our house is in desperate need of potplants… Hope you have a great week too! :)

16. The Life of Clare May 21, 2013 at 6:59 am #

Thrifting has gone to the wayside for me at the moment but your amazing finds want me to jump right back into it. Those sheets are amazing!

17. Tanya May 21, 2013 at 1:05 pm #

oh the tea set is just gorgeous!

18. Marcelle May 21, 2013 at 5:51 pm #

Oh my, i think I like everything you brought home :-)
    If I see tablecloths like that I just want to start sewing things, I love them!
    I didn’t find anything lately, since I am at home with a hernia, but I hope to go op-shopping soon; it’s an addiction I guess ;-)

19. Naomi May 21, 2013 at 8:39 pm #

I want to go to your op shops! I am always looking for linens in those vibrant vintage prints. The bedside tables are gorgeous, what a steal. Your bedroom is so nice and uncluttered. My latest greatest opshop treasure was found for me by a lovely friend – a complete Noritake stoneware dinner set in 70s floral goodness.

20. aimymichelle May 22, 2013 at 12:29 pm #

dang those are awesome blankets. especially the top one.

21. Sarah @ Chantille Fleur May 22, 2013 at 5:50 pm #

I love the dog/cat bed beside yours! It’s too cute!

22. Meg May 23, 2013 at 3:17 pm #

Seeing your thrifty finds restores my faith that beautiful bargains are still out there to be found, and this makes me want to go op-shopping! Beautiful photos too!

23. jorjiapeach May 25, 2013 at 3:47 am #

wow. those linens. those nightstands. soooo good.

24. tors (girl, meets wolf) May 29, 2013 at 2:42 am #

Gorjuss finds! I love old linens and sheets, and have started my own collection to sew from. Congrats on moving off the living room floor, your bedroom looks lovely with the wood frame and tables.

25. Carla June 9, 2013 at 1:32 pm #

Look at all your pretties! I nearly had a heart attack when I saw that knitted blanket. I made one similar about 27 years ago but alas that’s not it ; ) Love your blog. Saw you in the most beautiful magazine ever. Artful Blogging. LOVE it.