Crumpet Sunday

Crumpet Plate

A very exciting thing happened this morning. We made crumpets from scratch! I’ve always loved crumpets and have daydreamed about making them myself for years, but I’m not the greatest cook so have always been a bit scared to give it a go. I recently decided it was time to face my fears!

Crumpets need time to rise, and I didn’t want to have to wait around for them in the morning, so I knocked most of the ingredients together last night and left the batter in the fridge overnight. This morning when we got up I threw the last couple of ingredients in and whisked it all together, then Katie cooked the crumpets in egg rings while I made cups of our favourite coffee. Lattes are a little day off tradition in our house.

It turns out I had nothing to be worried about. Crumpets are easy to make! We used this recipe and they were pretty darn good, though we might tweak it a tiny bit next time. The batter also made a lot of crumpets, but that was quite handy because we were able to pop some in the freezer for quick breakfasts during the week.

Crumpet Table

I’m so glad we finally made crumpets. Maybe next week we’ll do it again. I’m already looking forward to the next Crumpet Sunday!

Have you tried any new recipes lately? Are there any things you’ve always been a bit scared to make? I’d love to hear about your cooking adventures.

Reuben

Tags: , , , ,

Reuben

About Reuben

Reuben is a crochet man and has a knitting machine for a brain. He likes dinosaurs, The Beatles and alpacas (among many other things). Reuben isn't afraid of dancing in public.

25 Responses to “Crumpet Sunday”

1. Jennifer April 21, 2013 at 8:22 pm #

These sound great! Even better that can be made vegan in a second, thank you for sharing :)

Jenn

2. Meg April 21, 2013 at 8:25 pm #

Hey Reuben, thanks heaps for sharing your Crumpet Sunday experience and lovely photos – our 3.5 year old son loves crumpets for breakfast, and he’s also a big fan of cooking, so we’ll have to try this recipe . . . he’ll want them with ‘orange jam’ (marmalade made by my Mum) . . .

Katie April 23, 2013 at 8:20 am #

Orange jam! Oh, that is just the cutest! Happy crumpet making :)

3. Natasha April 21, 2013 at 10:39 pm #

I’ve never made crumpets with yeast before, the recipes I’ve tried all use baking powder. I’ll have to try these.

4. Helen April 21, 2013 at 11:36 pm #

wow! these look amazing, I’ve never even thought about making crumpets before, they’ve always been something I’ve bought. They’re a Sunday tradition for me too though, we used to eat them as Sunday teatime food

5. Yelle April 22, 2013 at 12:43 am #

Yum! Prepping the night before is a great idea when it comes to weekend breakfasts! Crumpets never sounded so good :)

6. shannon April 22, 2013 at 12:50 am #

Those are hands down the prettiest crumpets ever! I am so making these! And i am always super jealous of your beautiful lattes! Lovely! Wish u lived next door (californias not too far a walk ;o) Happpy Sunday!

Katie April 23, 2013 at 8:27 am #

Such a pity we can just pop a coffee and a couple of crumpets in the mail! Someone needs to hurry up and invent teleportation already ;)

7. Sarah April 22, 2013 at 6:34 am #

Those look amazing, I am definitely going to try making crumpets soon :)

8. Joanne April 22, 2013 at 6:39 am #

Yummy! I had a go at making my own naan bread for the first time last night. I thought it was going to be hard, but it was so easy and delicious! I might have to try crumpets next.

Katie April 23, 2013 at 8:29 am #

Oh Joanne, Reubs and I are both naan OBSESSED! But I have always just assumed it would be tricky to make. I’m definitely going to have to give it a go now! x

• Joanne May 1, 2013 at 2:14 pm #

You definitely should! The dough in the recipe I used was quite wet and I thought it wasn’t going to work at all. But they turned out perfectly.

9. Mary April 22, 2013 at 6:42 am #

They look delicious! A great Sunday activity :-)

10. The Life of Clare April 22, 2013 at 7:12 am #

I was so excited what I saw this picture on Instagram! I’ve always wanted to make crumpets but have been intimidated, so now ill get my act together and make some! Thanks so much for sharing.

11. librarygirl April 22, 2013 at 9:01 am #

finally made risotto for the first time this year after being scared of it because it looked too hard! ( it isn’t really)

12. Sarah @ Chantille Fleur April 22, 2013 at 10:45 am #

Oh yum! I’ve been meaning to try these for ages but have never gotten around to looking for a recipe. I’m going to have to try these on the weekend now. Thanks for sharing! xx

13. Maria @ Cheeky Pink Tulip April 22, 2013 at 6:13 pm #

These look scrumptious! I’m making these tonight and I don’t care WHO knows it! I’ve always wanted to make soft pretzels so that will be my next challenge…

Maria xx

Katie April 23, 2013 at 8:19 am #

Oh, that is a genius idea! I LOVE soft pretzels. I think it might be time to start looking for recipes… ;)

14. Zara April 22, 2013 at 8:49 pm #

I havent tried making crumpets before. a perfect time to try them out though.
    x

15. Hannah April 24, 2013 at 8:49 am #

Yum, I shall have to try my hand at these! I’ve always wanted to make my own crumpets, ever since they made them on Masterchef a few years ago, but I always thought it might be quite tricky and time consuming. Am glad to hear they’re not so hard! I’ve also always wanted to make my own bagels…

16. Rebecca May 7, 2013 at 6:54 am #

My husband loves pancakes and crumpets so we decided to try to make some home made crumpets our selves. Sounds like you had a better first time then us. Great idea on leaving them to rest over night(we waited). Next time we are going to try using silicon molds instead of metal, ours stuck to the side and ruined the rest. Loved the post and thank you for the great idea.

Katie May 7, 2013 at 9:01 am #

We had the same problem with the crumpets sticking in the beginning, so we started greasing the rings with a little butter between each batch and that fixed it. It was a bit fiddly though!

17. Sharon F May 9, 2013 at 1:05 pm #

I was inspired by your pretty photos to make these – they were delish!! Let’s just say that the three of us ate plenty (some more than others…) and there were none left over to freeze. Can’t believe how easy they were.

Ours weren’t quite as pretty as we only have two egg rings so we resorted to free-form. I have to buy more egg rings for next time :)

18. Michelle May 23, 2013 at 1:59 pm #

I’ve always wondered about home made crumpets, ever since reading “The Secret Garden” as a child. There’s some sentence somewhere about eating crumpets. The only crumpets I’ve ever encountered are the supermarket kind!

xx Michelle