The Farmers Market

Farmers Market

Tomato Relish

Fruit

Trees

Basil Cordial

We love farmers’ markets. The second weekend of the month is always our favourite because the Bendigo Community Farmers’ Market is on the Saturday and the Girgarre Farmers’ Produce Market is on the Sunday. Today some of our friends came over from Bendigo and we all headed over to the market at Girgarre together. Unfortunately it was extremely hot and the flies were absolutely horrible so we didn’t hang around for long, but a quick lap around the stalls was all we needed to pick up some veggies, as well as homemade tomato relish and basil cordial. Can we stop a moment to talk about the basil cordial? The lady who made it was also selling mint, lemon and elderflower cordials, but I went with the basil because I fancied something a bit different. And oh my! It is good. And so perfectly refreshing on such a hot day. Basil cordial! Who knew?!

I hope you’re weekend was most lovely. Wishing you peachy things for the week ahead!

PS We are officially sick of scorching summer weather. Autumn, where on earth are you?!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

24 Responses to “The Farmers Market”

1. Louise March 10, 2013 at 8:58 pm #

I couldn’t cope with the hot temperatures you’ve been having, it almost majes me feel grateful for tge grey rainy weather we’re having today!
    Love the idea of the basil cordial, we usually just have elderflower.

Katie March 12, 2013 at 9:19 am #

This summer has been the hottest on record in some places and just so very LONG! And I’m not a hot weather kind of girl at the best of times. Bring on the grey and rain I say! :)

2. Zara March 10, 2013 at 9:03 pm #

Basil cordial, such an interesting flavour, but it obviously works.
    I’ve been meaning to get to the farmers markets here.
    x

Katie March 12, 2013 at 9:21 am #

I know, it sounds weird but it tastes awsome! And you should definitely visit your farmers market. So much fresh, local goodness! x

3. Heather March 10, 2013 at 9:16 pm #

looks like your settling well, your floors have come up a treat and life looks good. I like your camp in the living room, complete with pet beds of course! I must go to my local farmers market again….hope some cooler weather comes your way soon, Heather x

4. Sarah @ Chantille Fleur March 10, 2013 at 9:25 pm #

That relish looks great! I can’t imagine the taste of basil cordial – so I’ll just have to take your word on it’s goodness :-)

Have a gorgeous week!
    Sarah

PS Autumn is here visiting us today – maybe it’ll pop down your way soon :-)

Katie March 12, 2013 at 9:24 am #

Oh, I HOPE it visits us soon! The weather has been consistently 35°C+ for aaaaages now. I’m melting! x

5. Lyndall March 10, 2013 at 10:17 pm #

We’ve been getting fruit & veggie deliveries but we had an outing to the Farmer’s Market last weekend and it was so much fun! I love seeing all the yummy local produce.

And I am with you in the being sick of hot weather! It’s been almost two weeks of almost 40 degrees in Adelaide and I am so ready for some Autumn weather. I’m trying to stay positive and enjoy things like sitting in the wading pool and going to the beach… But I really do think summer has overstayed its welcome a little!

Katie March 12, 2013 at 9:27 am #

Yeah, it’s been 35°C+ here relentlessly for weeks now, and we had quite a few 40°C+ days in January and February too. I remember last year the weather just clicked at the beginning of March and immediately began feeling autumny. But not this year! :(

6. Bubbles March 10, 2013 at 10:30 pm #

I wish we had something like it here but you have to probably travel some distance to find the nearest one.

As for the heat, please send some our way as it is seriously cold, wet and with the possibility of snow! Maybe we could trade places :P

Katie March 12, 2013 at 9:30 am #

The grass is always greener on the other side! :)

7. Milynn March 11, 2013 at 3:41 am #

That tomato relish looks really good! What a beautiful place for a market!

8. Helen March 11, 2013 at 4:47 am #

Looks so great, I’m really looking forward to getting fresh produce and sunshine again, hopefully soon!
    The basil cordial sounds amazing, I can’t quite imagine what it tastes like but I bet it’s very fresh

9. The Life of Clare March 11, 2013 at 7:24 am #

The market looks wonderful! I love the ht weather but for the sake of our garden I would be very happy with some rain. Fingers crossed that some comes out way soon.

10. Heidi March 11, 2013 at 8:51 am #

Oooooh those cordials that lady makes sound amazing and definitely very refreshing, yum!

Katie March 12, 2013 at 9:39 am #

They are SO good. I think homemade cordial might be my new favourite thing! x

11. Alicia March 11, 2013 at 10:40 am #

Tell me about it, I love autumn and can’t wait for its proper arrival. We’re in Geelong, and sooo sick of this heat, the house is hot and we’re so far resisted putting in air con. Looking at solar ventilation that heats air in winter, and lets in cool night air in summer. And finally organising awnings for the windows, and a solar roof space ventilator. The relish looks yummy, I just opened a jar of zucchini relish I got in a food swap last week, mmm!

Katie March 12, 2013 at 9:41 am #

We have an airconditioner in our loungeroom and have been SO thankful for it these past few weeks, but when we have it on I do worry about our power bills… Solar ventilation sounds fantastic! :)

12. Esther March 11, 2013 at 2:04 pm #

OMG I just bought elderflower cordial last week and it’s amazing! I was obsessed with elderflower in cocktails, but just some of this cordial with sparkling water is fantastic on a warm day.
    Thanks for reminding me… guess what I’m gonna make tonight.

Katie March 12, 2013 at 9:44 am #

Reubs and I have been trying to decide what trees to plant in our yard and I am thinking we need to get an elderflower tree just so we can make our own cordial from scratch. It is delicious! x

13. Cassie March 11, 2013 at 10:40 pm #

Wow basil cordial – who would’ve thought! I’m intrigued :) now I have a craving for cordial!

14. Kelly March 12, 2013 at 9:26 pm #

YES, WHERE IS THE WINTER INDEED. you may be the only other lady i know who feels as strongly about this as i do Katie, and for that i am thankful. Hope you’re enjoying your lovely home. xx

1. The Italian Kiwi Fruit Incident | House of Humble - March 15, 2013

[...] and veggies, that come with a huge carbon footprint, and have been opting for Australian grown (and locally grown wherever possible). Reuben and I are lucky enough to live in country that is capable of producing [...]

2. Lately… | House of Humble - March 17, 2013

[...] been drinking strawberry and basil frappes made with strawberries and basil cordial from the farmers market. (So [...]