Recipe: Roasted Pumpkin and Parmesan Muffins

Pumpkin Parmesan Muffins 2

Recently I’ve been on a bit of a muffin kick. I’ve been trying to cut back on refined sugar and have been making lots of fruity, sugar-less muffins to keep my sweet tooth cravings at bay. And it’s been working a treat!

But this week I diverted from my quest for the perfect, healthy, banana muffin recipe, to make something savoury. Something cheesy. I often make pumpkin and feta muffins but the day I made these I didn’t have any feta on hand, so improvised with parmesan, and was delighted by the result! I’ve made two batches of pumpkin and parmesan muffins now and both have turned out wonderfully. Reubs actually ate five of them for breakfast yesterday. Yes, five! He has declared these his favourite muffins of all time. I’m not sure about that, but they are very moreish.

Pumpkin Parmesan Muffins 1

1/4 Cup Olive Oil
3/4 Cup Milk
1 Tbsp Butter, plus extra for greasing pan
1 Onion Diced
2 Cups Roasted Pumpkin*

Pumpkin Parmesan Muffins 3

1. Saute onion and butter in a frying pan or skillet until slightly golden, then remove from heat.
2. Sift flour, bicarb soda and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Add oatmeal, thyme, tasty cheese and parmesan and combine with a wooden spoon.
3. Mix in egg, milk and olive oil.
4. Add cooked onion and roasted pumpkin and stir it all together until well combined. The pumpkin will get a bit smooshed and broken up – that’s ok!
5. Spoon the mixture into a greased muffin pan, so muffin cups are about 3/4 full, then bake at 180°C for 15-20 minutes, or until firm and golden.

These are great served warm and I suspect they would be even more delicious spread with a little homemade tomato relish. Mmm…

*To get two cups of roasted pumpkin I put approximately three cups of raw pumpkin (chopped into small chunks) into a baking tray, drizzled it with a little olive oil and popped it into the oven at 200°C for about 45 minutes.

Tags: , , ,

Katie is a coffee-drinking, granny square-making, op-shopping daydreamer. Katie likes vintage dresses, Pictionary, doilies and colourful tights. Katie's raspberry baked cheesecake will rock your socks off.

20 Responses to “Recipe: Roasted Pumpkin and Parmesan Muffins”

1. Sarah @ Chantille Fleur March 1, 2013 at 9:28 pm #

These sound divine Katie! Thanks for sharing :-)
    I LOVE the plate you’ve served them on – the flowers are so pretty!

Have a great weekend, won’t you?
    Sarah xox

Katie March 3, 2013 at 10:11 am #

I love those plates too! They’re my very favourite. Hope you are having a GORGEOUS weekend Sarah! xx

2. inkberryblue March 1, 2013 at 11:03 pm #

Yet another delicious recipe. Thanks Katie. I think the plate is gorgeous too…and I’m really enjoying following you both as you make your new house a home!
    Fiona

Katie March 3, 2013 at 10:13 am #

My pleasure. Thank you so much Fiona! x

3. Milynn March 2, 2013 at 12:14 am #

Those look so good! Definitely something I wouldn’t mind having for breakfast this morning!

Katie March 3, 2013 at 10:12 am #

We’ve been having them for breakfast all week! Yummy :)

4. The Life of Clare March 2, 2013 at 3:07 pm #

These look delicious. I haven’t made muffins in ages, and I love the idea of savoury ones!

Katie March 3, 2013 at 10:15 am #

Even though I am the BIGGEST sweet tooth that ever lived I actually prefer savoury muffins to sweet. They are so good! x

5. Margaret March 3, 2013 at 9:00 am #

These muffins look lovely and sound Delish! a friend is giving me a butternut pumkin today so I will give them a try.
    Is it half a cup of tasty cheese ? : )
    I love the vegetable muffins at the local cafe, they serve them with a little sour cream and chutney I am now inspired to try making some vegie ones at home with grated zuchini and carrot etc. thanks for the lovely pics , I can almost smell them….yum

Katie March 3, 2013 at 10:16 am #

Yes, half a cup of tasy cheese. I love veggie muffins with sour cream and chutney! These would be delicious served like that :)

6. Cookie March 4, 2013 at 2:55 am #

Hi Katie! (Hey Reub’s! :) OK, tasty cheese….is that a name of a cheese or is it whatever cheese I happen to like?? And, no pumpkins here in North Carolina right now…you think canned pumpkin will do well?? These sound delish and THIS vegetarian would love to try them!!

Katie March 4, 2013 at 6:18 am #

Tasty cheese is a kind of cheese (maybe it’s an Australian thing?) but any cheese would be fine. And I have never worked with canned pumpkin before as we don’t seem to have such a thing in Aus, but I can’t see why it wouldn’t work. Butternut Squash would also be perfect (in Australia we actually call it Butternut Pumpkin and use it interchangeably with other types of pumpkin!) :)

7. Lou March 4, 2013 at 10:02 am #

YUM! I’m back at Uni this week and in need of snacks that I can take to munch on through the day, these will definitely be getting made! A quick question with the oatmeal, do you use normal rolled oats or quick oats? Or is there an actual product called oatmeal?
    Cheers – Lou @ The Honesty Path

Katie March 4, 2013 at 12:11 pm #

There is an actual product called oatmeal – it’s basically just rolled oats ground up fine. Finer than quick oats. In the supermarket I find there’s usually a cheap version of it in with the cereals and porridge, and a more expensive version in the healthfood section. I get the cheap one! You could also make it yourself by blitzing some rolled or quick oats in a food processor :)

8. Shelley March 4, 2013 at 10:21 pm #

I just happened upon your blog . . . . a charming corner of the blogiverse! I love. These muffins look AMAZING, I can’t wait to try them. I hope to visit more often :)

9. Julie D March 7, 2013 at 2:31 pm #

jHi
    I have been reading your blog for a while.
    I just wanted to say I made your recipe for muffins
    but I substituted wholemeal for plain flour, and
    reduced the thyme to a half teaspoon.
    The result was absolutely yummo.
    thanks very much for the tip.
    Individually wrapped in my freezer now for breakfasts or lunch on the run.

Katie March 8, 2013 at 9:59 am #

Yay! I’m so glad you liked them Julie :)

10. Kimberley October 29, 2013 at 1:53 pm #

I just made these, OMG – yum! Thank you for sharing the recipe. I found the mixture made half a tray of mini muffins as well, and my 16mth old loves them. Our new fav :)

1. 10 Good Things Right Now | House of Humble - March 4, 2013

[...] Roasted pumpkin and parmesan muffins. [...]

2. Recipe: Raspberry, Coconut and Chia Muffins | House of Humble - April 5, 2013

[...] have muffins on hand so that he can grab one for breakfast on his way out the door. Along with my Roasted Pumpkin and Parmesan Muffins, these Raspberry, Coconut and Chia muffins have become a fast [...]