Recipe: Guilt Free 2 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

Gluten Free 2 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

Some time ago, when we were still living in Sydney, I shared my version of the 2 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake that has been floating around the internet. Unfortunately, all that butter, sugar and flour means those little cakes aren’t terribly healthy, and though I’m not at all opposed to a treat, recently I’ve been making a real effort to eat well and cook using more whole, healthy, nutritious ingredients. So I’ve been working on giving some of my favourite unhealthy recipes a little makeoever, and last week I was absolutely thrilled when my attempt to make a more nutritious version of the 2 minute chocolate mug cake worked out brilliantly! My new and improved version is low GI, gluten free, refined sugar free, high in protein, and could probably even be made vegan (with an egg supstitute). But what’s most miraculous of all, is the fact that I think the healthier version is equally as yummy, if not more so, than the original. It’s sounds impossible but it’s true! Here’s the recipe:

Healthy Gluten Free Chocolate Mug Cake

3 Tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
2 Tbsp Almond Meal
1-2 Tbsp Honey (I use one but some might prefer it a little sweeter)
1.5 Tbsp Coconut Cream (or regular thickened cream)
1 Egg

1. Mix all ingredients together in a large mug, until well combined. Don’t fret about little lumps.
2. Microwave for 2 minutes. (I actually found that the cake is done and is slightly moister if I take it out at 1 minute and 40 seconds, but this will vary from microwave to microwave. If you find the cake dry after 2 full minutes, next time try cooking it for 10 seconds less.)
3. That’s all folks! Enjoy!

Update: A few people have asked whether or not this recipe could be baked in the oven, rather than microwaved, so I’ve given it a go and the answer is yes! It can! I baked the mug cake at 180ºC for about 20 minutes, and the result was slightly different from the microwave version but still good. The only thing I would suggest is, if you are going to bake it, mix the ingredients in a small bowl then transfer the mixture into a greased mug before popping it into the oven. I mixed and baked mine in the same mug and as a result the edges were really baked onto the mug.

Tags: , , ,

Katie is a coffee-drinking, granny square-making, op-shopping daydreamer. Katie likes vintage dresses, Pictionary, doilies and colourful tights. Katie's raspberry baked cheesecake will rock your socks off.

53 Responses to “Recipe: Guilt Free 2 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake”

1. helsbells March 19, 2013 at 11:46 pm #

Really like the look of this recipe, but have no clue where I would get Almond meal. Could I substitute with wholemeal flour?

Katie March 20, 2013 at 8:32 am #

My original mug cake recipe used flour instead of almond meal, but I find the almond meal makes it a lot more moist. If you use flour instead you might have to bump up the fat content to keep it from going dry (my flour recipe had 2 tablespoons of butter where as this recipe only has one tablespoon of coconut cream). But you could give it a try! The good thing about experimenting with this recipe is that it only uses small quantities of each ingredient, so if things go wrong there’s not a huge amount waste :)

2. Jen March 20, 2013 at 1:38 am #

That looks amazing! When I see stuff like this I can’t believe that I don’t own a microwave… haha..

Katie March 20, 2013 at 8:36 am #

I sometimes think about getting rid of our microwave, as I do believe they are less than awesome for our health, but recipes like this one make it really, really hard to give up!

3. Yelle March 20, 2013 at 5:27 am #

How yummy! I absolutely love that it is healthier!

4. Gabby March 20, 2013 at 6:27 am #

I’m gonna have to give this a try! it looks delicious :)

5. Nadine Bush March 20, 2013 at 7:43 am #

Hi Katie
    Well done, looks so yummy! Do you think I could substitute Stevia to sweeten rather than use honey? Also if I baked in the oven instead of microwave??
    Kindest
    Nadine

Katie March 20, 2013 at 8:41 am #

Hi Nadine! I think Stevia would be fine, but I’m not sure about baking it as I haven’t tried to. I have actually wondered whether baking would work too, as I’d prefer not to use the microwave if possible, so I will have to give it a go and let you know how it works out! :)

• Margaret March 20, 2013 at 10:34 am #

I hear if you do a lot of baking it is not a good idea to use Stevia, it is thought to be linked to birth defects,….. small quantities , not often, probably ok

6. Katie March 20, 2013 at 8:43 am #

These look so delicious! I’m a big fan of mug cakes, and a healthier version has got to be even better! Just need to get my hands on some almond meal now.

7. Heidi March 20, 2013 at 8:49 am #

Ooooh yum and sooo easy. I made a gluten free fudgy chocolate brownie (a Nigella Lawson recipe) the other day for my lovely neighbour who is gluten intolerant and I have to say it came out really yummy too. It was really squidgy like and delicious but it did have butter and sugar in it – might have to try your tip Katie and use honey instead of the sugar.

I don’t have a microwave so will have to give your chocolate mugs a go in the oven. I love your mug by the way, so cute.

Heidi :)

Katie March 20, 2013 at 2:45 pm #

I am an almond meal/ gluten free convert! I am not gluten intolerant (thank goodness) but I have baked a few gluten free things lately and somehow they’ve all turned out better than their non-gluten free counterpart. I LOVE almond meal! x

8. Sarah @ Chantille Fleur March 20, 2013 at 9:14 am #

It looks and sounds great Katie! Thanks for sharing :-)

9. Margaret March 20, 2013 at 10:40 am #

Katie, thank you so much for tweaking this recipe, I had seen it some months ago, but the sugar and butter content were not for me, this is much better, and how easy is it to just make one for a quick, healthy choc hit with a cuppa.
    Can’t wait to try this.
    I made the pumpkin muffins yesterday,they are delish !! 4 gone already

Katie March 20, 2013 at 2:39 pm #

So glad you liked the pumpkin muffins! x

10. Lillian March 20, 2013 at 12:53 pm #

I would also love an oven version. I heard a scary story the other day, apparently commercial cleaners microwave cleaning cloths for a minute to kill all the bacteria. Imagine what microwaves must do to nutrients in food!

Katie March 20, 2013 at 2:35 pm #

Yes, I actually do this with our cleaning cloths sometimes and so have had the very same thought! I’m going to give it a go in the oven ASAP and will keep you posted :)

11. Elle Mental March 20, 2013 at 2:25 pm #

Thank you for sharing Katie! It sounds wonderful!! I am vegan so I will replace the egg with finely ground flax seed, which when added to liquid behaves very much like and egg.. I will let you know how it comes out! Hope things are well with you and Reuben! Take care!

12. Ginny March 20, 2013 at 8:46 pm #

Oh yay! Can’t wait to try. You little innovator you.

13. Rita@thissortaoldlife March 20, 2013 at 11:08 pm #

I am not sure where to find almond meal or coconut cream, but I sure want to give this a try. A gluten-free bakery just opened near us, and I finally (after a year now of beging GF) had a cinnamon roll that tastes like a “real” one. Heaven! Like you, I try to eat healthy, but I want a sweet treat every now and again. Thanks for sharing this.

Katie March 21, 2013 at 8:50 am #

HI Rita! Both almond meal and coconut cream should be readily available at any supermarket. The almond meal (sometimes called ground almonds or almond flour) will be in the baking section and/or the health food section. Coconut cream is usually with asian foods, as it’s used primarily in curries and things. Hope that helps! :)

14. Kate March 20, 2013 at 11:37 pm #

This looks incredibly tasty. I don’t have a microwave so might have a go at baking a similar version…not sure how that will work but will give it a go!

15. Mike (CraftyDad) March 21, 2013 at 5:32 am #

Katie -

This looks and sounds too good to be true! But I will sure give it a go sometime soon.

Every so often, you just need (want!) something sweet and yummy like cake. Rather than bake a whole cake, this might be just the thing!

Thanks for sharing.

PS: Today is the first day of Spring here in the States and it’s 21 degrees (F). That’s a whopping -6.1 (C) in your world. It’s crazy!

Give my best to Reuben!

–Mike

Katie March 21, 2013 at 9:15 am #

Goodness me, that’s cold Mike! Hope you get some springy weather soon. Stay warm! :)

16. Kelly March 21, 2013 at 8:11 pm #

i AM EXCITED about this!!
    I’m going to try it egg free and see how it goes.
    x

17. Tania March 26, 2013 at 11:43 am #

This looks awesome! For someone who has cut out sugar and flour there is not a lot left in the world of sweets to enjoy. I think I have all these ingredients on hand too. Thanks Katie!

18. Moneesha May 5, 2013 at 10:44 pm #

I just made this tonight and I only cooked it for 1min 30 secs but it was dry and also bitter. Would you know why?
    I followed everything you said only thing I used Cadbury bornville coco powder as that’s all I could find and it barely has sugar in it anyways …

Katie May 6, 2013 at 1:40 pm #

Sorry but I don’t know Moneesha! I usually use Cadbury cocoa powder so that can’t be the problem. (Unless you are in a country other than Australia and Cadbury’s cocoa powder is different wherever you are? The one we get in Aus doesn’t contain any sugar, only cocoa.) Perhaps you didn’t put enough honey in? I prefer the cake on the less sweet side, but if you have sweeter taste you might need to add extra honey… I can’t think why it would be dry though! The almond meal, egg and coconut cream should keep it nice and moist. You didn’t use coconut milk or water instead of cream did you? I’m not sure what else to suggest! I’ve had a couple of people contact me via twitter to say the recipe worked really well for them, so I’m really perplexed as to where it has gone wrong for you…

19. Jess May 8, 2013 at 7:46 pm #

I made this twice already now! first time, I must admit was a little dry (even though I set the microwave to 1 minute and 40 seconds) and the second time i decided to add some frozen raspberries in the mix – SO GOOD! would definitely recommend chucking in any frozen berries into it! Thanks for the recipe! yummm

Katie May 9, 2013 at 7:38 pm #

Hi Jess! So glad you like it. I’ve actually made it with frozen raspberries once too and it was really good! To make it a little moister you could also just add a bit more coconut cream :)

20. Linnea May 9, 2013 at 3:35 am #

Hi! Could I sub the coconut cream for something else? I have never seen it here in Sweden! :)

Katie May 9, 2013 at 7:41 pm #

Maybe regular cream or butter? Though, I haven’t tried it using either of those so I can’t guarantee it’ll be the same!

Katie May 13, 2013 at 9:25 pm #

Just a quick update, today I experimented and used reguar thickened cream (from a cow) and it worked! :)

21. Rae May 16, 2013 at 1:10 pm #

Hi there, just wanted to thank you for the great recipe. I have tried making a regular mug cake one time before and it turned out horrid and eggy, I couldn’t believe it had more sugar then flour! In your cake I used 2 tbsp cacao powder and 1 tbsp of Dessicated coconut. It turned out perfect!!

Katie May 16, 2013 at 4:29 pm #

Oh yay! So glad it worked well for you. I like the idea of the coconut! :)

22. Rebecca May 17, 2013 at 11:13 pm #

I tried it using 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk instead of cream and added with 2 tsp stevia and a small squirt of honey and a pinch of salt and it was still moist and delicious. Thanks!

23. Luca June 14, 2013 at 9:21 pm #

I’m going to try this! I’ve finally found some almond flour but no coconut cream. Will regular butter or milk do?

Katie June 15, 2013 at 12:50 pm #

I think it would be pretty dry if you used milk. Butter might be ok, but I haven’t tried it so I’m really not sure. Sorry!

24. Emily June 16, 2013 at 9:28 am #

Hi Katie,

I’ve been following your wonderful blog for a while and finally made this last night – its AH-MAZING!!!! Thank you so much! I substituted one over-ripe banana for the honey and it was great :)

I hope your house renovations are going well,

emily

25. Michelle August 9, 2013 at 2:36 am #

I only discovered your blog 20 minutes ago, and I’ve already made – and am now enjoying – this! I added a banana and had to substitute hazlenut meal for the almond meal, and butter for the coconut cream. But it’s still good. I’ll definitely try it with coconut cream next time, and maybe add some berries or chopped nuts. Thanks, Katie!

26. Katharine September 11, 2013 at 6:05 am #

Do you know how many cals Katie?

Katie September 17, 2013 at 7:22 pm #

Oh, I’m afraid not Katharine! I guess you could go through and work out the calories of all the individual ingredients and add them together, but I’m not much of a calorie counter so haven’t…

27. Katharine September 11, 2013 at 6:08 am #

And I put one square of dark chocolate in and microwave for about 1 minute 10-20 seconds and it is lovely very moist x

28. Kylee September 21, 2013 at 11:00 pm #

This was an awesome microwave mug cake. My husband and I have been trying to perfect one for a few weeks and this healthy one is better than the less healthy ones! Great work.

29. Claudia October 8, 2013 at 9:54 pm #

After countless tries at chocolate mug cakes (unhealthy ones to boot) I was ready to give up! This has changed my life I tell ya! Felt like something sweet whilst tackling formidable university homework and it did the trick. I sprinkled a tablespoon of chopped dark chocolate on top and used only an egg white, not a whole egg. I also used 2 tsp of stevia and 1 tsp honey. My microwave is crazy keen so only needed 90 secs to be perfectly soft, fudgy but cooked through! Yummmmm and I don’t feel guilty at all :)

30. Hannah October 9, 2013 at 8:53 pm #

This recipe is delicious and very chocolately – I highly recommend it to those who like to eat 70% to 80% chocolate.
    The first time I made it I accidentally left out the egg and ended up with a very dense, brownie type cake. It was delicious too!!
    If you threw in some frozen berries or chopped walnuts it would be delicious as well!
    This will be my base mug cake recipe from now on.

31. Kylee October 11, 2013 at 11:10 pm #

We tried this again and have found a perfect alteration. We had no eggs so used the “no egg” egg substitute. It worked brilliantly! It was more fishy and less cakey, but I think it was awesome. Also only cooked it for 1 minute 40 sec.

32. rachelle October 26, 2013 at 10:46 am #

i used yogurt instead of cream and it turned out beautifully! thanks for the recipe :)

33. Diana Kate November 24, 2013 at 11:36 pm #

Loved this recipe was quite delish! I did however only have lite cream which worked pretty well. But unfortunately all I had was drinking chocolate which is less healthier but I only used 2 tbsp instead. Still delish next time I shall use the Cocoa powder. Thanks for sharing :)

34. Teaghan April 3, 2014 at 10:35 am #

Do you know approx. how many kjs or calories in this? Thanks

1. Crafty Dabblings | House of Humble - March 26, 2013

[...] A few people have asked about making my guilt free chocolate mug cake in the oven, rather than the microwave, so I gave it go and happily it worked! I’ve added a [...]

2. What I Ate Wednesday {last day of exams} | healthninja - July 10, 2013

[...] Guilt Free Chocolate Mug Cake. It was a bit too dark for my taste. I would lower the amount of cacao and add a bit more maple syrup the next time. [...]

3. Chocolate Mug Cake | dewnkoh - October 28, 2013

[…] *Try this next – similar recipe but with sour cream, cinnamon, brown sugar. And this!* […]