Crafty Dabblings

Do Small Things with Great Love

I have a big creative project that I’m itching to get started on. It’s something that I’ve been pondering and processing in the the back of my mind for a long, long time now. Something I should have started years ago. Now I’m finally ready to give it a proper go and make things happen… but I can’t. Because I’m waiting for supplies and the mail seems to be taking an incredibly long time. Every morning for the last week I have eagerly trotted down to the post office and unlocked our PO box, hoping to be greeted by a little pile of parcels, only to discover… absolutely nothing. It seems a watched mailbox is never filled. And it’s driving me slightly insane!

In the meantime I’ve been pottering about with other things, dabbling with this and that, trying to satisfy the urge to create. I made this little hoop out of vintage bits and bobs and planned to make a few more so I could create a lovely cluster of hoops on a wall somewhere, but then I just couldn’t get motivated to make more hoops. So for now the “do small things with great love” hoop sits all alone next to a cluttered pile of books on our mantlepiece. I pulled out the sewing machine and altered a thrifted muumuu style dress, to turn it into a little frock with an elastic waistband like this one and this one, but decided it wasn’t nearly as cute in real life as I had imagined it might be. I half heartedly started some granny squares only to abandon them half an hour later… I really want to be making things but I can’t commit to any of these projects because they simply aren’t the right ones for right now. Have you ever felt like that?

Reubs and I are going to start painting our walls this weekend. Up until this week it has been far too hot to even contemplate renovating projects, but the temperature has finally dropped enough for us to get back into things. Hopefully painting will distract my restless little brain for a while. And in the meantime maybe, just maybe, my much anticipated supplies will arrive.

Have you been working on anything crafty lately? I’d love to hear about your creative projects. I find people making stuff so inspiring!

PS A few people have asked about making my guilt free chocolate mug cake in the oven, rather than the microwave, so I gave it go and happily it worked! I’ve added a little update to my original post with the details.
PPS The 20% off “houseofhumble” discount code for Shadow Moon Creations expires tomorrow.

Tags: , ,

20 Responses to “Crafty Dabblings”

1. Rita@thissortaoldlife March 22, 2013 at 5:04 am #

Ah, yes: DIY ADD. It’s a constant for me. I think it happens most when there are lots of things I want to be doing. I find it hard to settle down into one and just flutter about. The irony, of course, is that I don’t make any real progress anywhere. Hope your supplies arrive soon. I bet that’ll be the cure. :-)

Katie March 23, 2013 at 11:17 am #

DIY ADD! Yes! I do the exact same thing, not being able to commit to one thing, thus getting nowhere with anything. It’s the most frustrating thing in the universe! x

2. Penelope March 22, 2013 at 6:23 am #

I can have times like that too Katy when I start something and half an hour later have to leave it. Frustrating as it is the inspiration eventually pops up :o) I’ve been crocheting a lot lately and it seems to be getting colder here instead of warmer at the moment , so yarn and warmth is what I will stick to at the moment. I do love your hoop decorated with vintage goodness and very apt words xox Penny
    Look forward to seeing what you have up your sleeve and hope your supplies arrive by the weekend x

• Penelope March 22, 2013 at 6:30 am #

oops sorry I spelt your name like a friend of mine’s instead of Katie x

Katie March 23, 2013 at 11:19 am #

That is quite alright lovely Penny! Cozy, yarny things are the absolute best when the weather is cold :)

3. Sarah @ Chantille Fleur March 22, 2013 at 11:05 am #

Your hoop looks great Katie. I know how you feel about trying to make things though…sometimes I get like this, especially when I’ve taken on a large project that seems to take forever, I sometimes have to stop and knit a few little things in between to keep my creative spirits high :-)
    It drives me crazy waiting for the post too! I’m waiting for a bunch of pretty letters to arrive at the moment, as I joined something called the “Good Mail Club”. Everyone sends pretty letters to each other, with a few nice bits and bobs and maybe a nice note in it :-)

Hope your supplies arrive soon & have a lovely weekend!
    Sarah x

PS Glad to hear that the cakes can be made in the oven…I’m not a fan of microwaves, so thank-you for doing the oven experimenting so I didn’t have too ;-)

Katie March 23, 2013 at 11:23 am #

I’ve come to realise I am not at all good with long term projects. I have grand visions of knitting cardigans and sewing quilts but I doubt they will ever come to fruition as I just don’t have the perseverance to stick with one project for so long. I really, really like things I can get finished in an afternoon. Your Good Mail Club sounds so gorgeous. What a wonderful idea! x

4. Marcelle March 22, 2013 at 8:08 pm #

I can’t commit myself to anything when I know there are so many other things that need to be done. You are not finished with the house, so maybe that’s the problem.
    Maybe you can go outside and see what you can find to just fill a nice bowl for your table, like beautiful branches, rocks, seashells..just what’s there.
    You’ll have a nice walk to clear your head, and some stuff to create something when you get back home.
    Have a nice day :-)

Katie March 23, 2013 at 11:25 am #

It’s funny you should say that as I have actually been doing this! I’ve been collecting lots of little flowers for pressing and pretty feathers. It’s such a lovely, calming thing to do :)

5. Raynor March 22, 2013 at 11:33 pm #

I love your hoop! It’s super cute! I know the craft-related restless feeling all too well. That’s where my bathroom curtain came from. I’m still dragging my feet a bit though.

I’m sure you’ll find inspiration soon, and I can’t wait to see what you do when your parcels arrive! ^_^

Katie March 23, 2013 at 11:27 am #

Thank you lovely! I wish my restlessness was as productive as yours. Our kitchen and bathroom are both in desperate need of new curtains! Your curtain is the bee’s knees! xx

6. Cassie March 23, 2013 at 12:20 am #

I would love to see a Vlog of you or Reuben creating a granny square. Oneday you know… When you aren’t renovating ….. Or crafting your own projects! Maybe I should look up you tube. Thanks

Katie March 23, 2013 at 11:28 am #

We have actually talked about doing this! I can’t guarantee it will ever actually happen though… Silly as it might sound for bloggers, we are both quite camera shy! But maybe. One day. :)

7. Vicky March 24, 2013 at 8:09 am #

Loving the little hoop, sure it’ll look ace wherever it ends up. The Curse of the Flighty Crafter – it hits us all at some point, in fact I think I might have more half-finished projects lying about that completed ones!
    Looking forward to reading more about the new project, hope the postman delivers your supplies soon!

8. fenn March 24, 2013 at 11:16 pm #

that hoop is lovely! I know exactly how you feel, quite often I have the urge to create and I can imagine it all in my head but it never ends up quite right… if you want ideas of things to do why not take a look at pinterest? here’s my collection of boards, you never know if something might get you thinking, it’s how I always start a new project; http://pinterest.com/freckledfennell/

i’m currently in the middle of sewing new buttons and shortening the sleeves on an adorable faux denim vintage 80’s dress I bought from a thrift shop and also crocheting large granny squares for a sofa throw for the house i’ll be sharing next year with my friends.

hope your parcels of goodies turn up soon :) xx

9. eliza March 25, 2013 at 8:01 am #

i get that way ALLLLL THE TIME. i also get stupidly petulant if i can’t find a book that is exactly what i want to be reading. and let’s not even talk about how hard it is to please me right after finishing something i LOVE (making or reading). NOTHING is good enough. apparently, i’m quite the creating/reading diva.

that having been said, i am always making. i finished knitting a sweater recently, and i’ve been on a bit of a jewelry making binge. i’ve made a handful of necklaces, and i’m trying my hand at making a bracelet.

hopefully your parcels will arrive soon! can’t wait to see what you have in store!

10. The Life of Clare March 25, 2013 at 8:01 am #

I know the feeling of nothing being quite right! Hope te package comes soon! Ad thank you so much for the candles. They’ve been burning none stop.

11. Heather March 26, 2013 at 6:25 am #

I absolutely do know what you mean, my last project started with good intentions just turned out to be not the one! it was strange. I just had to move on and finish it on a small scale instead! Heather x

12. Anna Vaschina July 8, 2014 at 4:20 pm #

Beautiful, beautiful blog Katie. I’m very new to it and I’ve enjoyed flicking through it and seeing the beautiful things you make. May I ask how do you get wording onto fabric? I’m sorry if you have been asked this a million times already :) This blog is a little ray of sunshine, I’m sure to all who read it.

1. A Little Creative Venture | House of Humble - April 12, 2013

[...] project, which I am really excited to share with you today! You might remember me saying that I was waiting on some craft supplies? Yes well, they finally arrived and I’ve been feverishly putting them to use ever since. This [...]