Valentines Day Thrifty Finds

Reuben had Valentines Day off this year, and rather than spending it working on the house, we treated ourselves to a little day out. We haven’t had much time for fun stuff lately so Valentines Day seemed like an excellent excuse. We drove to Bendigo, had a delicious lunch at Bendigo Corner Store Cafe (again) and spent the afternoon pottering about in our favourite op-shops. That’s pretty much my idea of the perfect day! And happily, our treasure hunting was quite fruitful. Here’s what we found:

Sheridan Pillowcases

I love all vintage linens but have a particular fondness for pillow cases. I love piles of mismatched retro florals on my bed. And these ones are still in the orginal packet! Hurrah!

Curtains

Speaking of retro, would you look at these curtains!? I bought them to repurpose the fabric, but might even hang the blue ones in our kitchen.

Paper Recycling Kit

Reubs found this paper recycling kit and when he showed me I almost squealed. It’s the exact same kit I had (and loved) as a little girl, and in perfect condition, with all its bits and pieces intact. I’m quite looking forward to making some paper with it!

Vintage Tea Towel

This vintage tea towel is one of my favourite finds in a long, long time. It’s in brand new condition and obviously has never been used. I love those daisies and scallops! I’d like to find somewhere in our new house to hang it up.

Vintage Plates

I’ve been trying not to buy more vintage plates as we have accumulated so many, I actually had to donate quite a stack of them when we packed to come stay with my mum, but I couldn’t resist these! They are just so perfectly 70s.

Vintage Sheets

Of course, I couldn’t call it a successful trip without finding some vintage sheets for my collection. I can’t wait to get back into sewing once we’ve moved. I miss it!

Milk Jug

And finally, a little milk jug to match some of my vintage plates. I love when I find something old that matches another I already have at home.

Have you had any good op-shop/thrift store finds lately? I’d love to hear about them!

Tags: , , , , ,

26 Responses to “Valentines Day Thrifty Finds”

1. Becky Bedbug February 16, 2013 at 11:04 pm #

I absolutely love vintage fabrics! Sheets, curtains, tea towels… Heaven!

Becky
    xx

Katie February 17, 2013 at 10:20 am #

Me too Becky!! I am utterly obsessed! :)

2. Cassandra February 16, 2013 at 11:09 pm #

Oh, what fabulous finds!! Our op-shops are light on vintage goodness and heavy on trash, but I keep hoping I’ll get there right time right place one day. I found a gorgeous embroidered pillowcase a month ago, got it for 20c and it’s just soo cute. I have no idea what to do with it though. Will definitely add op-shopping to the list if we ever make it back to Bendigo, it’s a gorgeous town.

Katie February 17, 2013 at 10:27 am #

We don’t always find this much good stuff! For every day we come home with a lovely haul there are probably five (or more) where we come home with absolutely nothing. I think you just have to stick with it, go as regularly as you can and try not to be discouraged if you don’t find anything for a while. You’re time will come! x

3. The Life of Clare February 17, 2013 at 12:10 am #

That could actually be my paper making kit, I lived in Bendigo and sent a paper making kit to the oppy a few years ago. Imagine that! What great finds! I love your floral collection!

Katie February 17, 2013 at 10:28 am #

That would be so cool! I always wonder about about the people who donated the things I buy! :)

4. Angel February 17, 2013 at 5:32 am #

Wow you got some great stuff! Love the curtains and sheets you found, so lovely

5. Sarah @ Chantille Fleur February 17, 2013 at 7:07 am #

What a great day out :-) Unfortunately the op shops in our small town don’t hold any goodies….everything in there is really old, used, and I’m going to say it – rather awful. Nothing in a very nice condition.
    When I see what other bloggers find in op shops further down south, I understand why people love shopping like this – it must be so fun!
    Love the curtains – I think they’ll look sweet in your kitchen. And how cool finding a paper kit like the one you used to have!

Enjoy Sunday,
    Sarah xx

Katie February 17, 2013 at 10:36 am #

Oh there is plenty of awful old junk in our op-shops too, and quite often we don’t find anything nice at all. But we have found lots of little gems in QLD op-shops! I think you just have to try to visit as many op-shops as possible as often as possible. You really just have to be in the right place at the right time! I actually find tiny, sleepy country towns are usually better for finding vintage because it isn’t so desirable there. In the big cities the trendy people snatch up anything good the moment it hits the shelf! But it does depend on the town. Some just never seem to have good stuff! x

6. Louise February 17, 2013 at 7:31 am #

I’m moving to Bendigo! You keep finding gorgeous fabric!

Katie February 17, 2013 at 10:24 am #

Ha! The fabric finding seems to be a bit sporadic. Sometimes months and months pass without me finding a single pillow case, then I’ll have a really great day or a few weeks where I find a lovely old sheet in every op-shop I enter! x

7. Becky February 17, 2013 at 9:47 am #

Ooh…I love the tea towel and the pillow case! Good on you guys for having a nice day off together and doing something lovely with it! :)

8. Rabbit & the Duck February 17, 2013 at 12:00 pm #

Oh goodness, what lovely finds! Funnily enough I found the same paper making kit this week in a local op shop, I too had the kit when I was younger and loved it : ) Sounds like you guys had a great day out, you can never go wrong when op shops are involved : )

Katie February 18, 2013 at 3:51 pm #

Ha! That is such a wierd coincidence! We’re paper making twins! ;)

9. Jane @ Shady Baker February 17, 2013 at 3:54 pm #

I love all of your finds Katie, sounds like a perfect way to spend V Day! Your house is looking amazing too, I just haven’t managed to comment recently :)

10. Natasha February 17, 2013 at 6:59 pm #

I found a few nice little bits and pieces to use for handbags this week. I wish I could find this type of bedding in South Africa, I just don’t think it was really fashionable here because I never see anything like it.

11. Kelly February 17, 2013 at 8:07 pm #

what great finds, i never have time to op shop anymore :( i love floral everything too, obviously. x

12. Heather February 17, 2013 at 8:08 pm #

what an absolute haul! good pickings. Yesterday i found some milk glass cups and plates with pretty pink and orange flowers. My Mum had these and it’s really nice to keep seeing them! Heather x

13. Mike February 18, 2013 at 5:46 am #

Wow! Great finds! The little milk jug is my favorite.

I have a great time scouring the thrift shop by my office. It’s a big one and you never know what you’re going to find.

Sad to say, with the economy being so sluggish here, donations are way down. So..the really, really good stuff that I used to find has ceased.

But…it’s still fun to stroll the aisles. You have to have a keen eye, because it’s easy to miss stuff if you’re not careful.

Enjoy your sweet treasures!

–Mike

Katie February 18, 2013 at 3:49 pm #

You know, I never really considered the state of the economy having an impact on charity shop donations but that totally makes sense. Hope your luck changes and you stumble across a little gem soon! :)

14. Gina February 18, 2013 at 6:41 am #

Wow, Katie, I wish there were such nice sheets and other linens in our thrift shops here. Things from recent yard sales in the recent past are: new bamboo shades; a cute look metal box with a handle that has retro Singer Sewing Company artwork; a piles of wonderful fabric from a home business closing down. As Mike above says, the economy (here in the US, in my case) has significantly changed the quality and amount of donations to thrift stores as well as yard sales. I live in a university neighborhood so I keep an eye out for what’s discarded at the curb when the spring semester ends. In May of 2012, I snagged a small, round 2-level, end table in just about perfect condition. I use it as a plant stand. And not a thrift store or yard sale find but the knit/crochet group I belong to at a nearby library branch was given piles of free yarn when library patrons found out about our group. I guess those folks saw it as a chance to declutter! I ended up with new yarn, including a wool blend that’s really pretty. We have high end consignment shops in our city, too, but they are not as much fund as scoring a inexpensive goodie. :>

Glad you had some time out from house renovating to have a good time. We’re all looking forward to see how that lovely little house “blossoms” under your and Reuben’s care.

Gina
    Syracuse, New York, USA

15. eliza February 18, 2013 at 9:16 am #

yay for good finds! i actually went to a flea market last weekend, and i was so so excited about my finds! i was on a thrifting high for the rest of the day! i found a great vintage fan, a woolly teal blanket, a gorgeously beat-up cutting board, and an old ampersand (i have a bit of a collection). cheers to good thrifting hauls!

excited to see some of your new old things in action!

Katie February 18, 2013 at 3:51 pm #

Oh, I love that thrifting high! Your finds sound incredible! x

16. Marcelle February 19, 2013 at 2:19 am #

Just love the vintage linens! It’s so much fun to go for a day of op-shops.
    I didn’t find much lately, but still an old wooden dog on wheels from the seventies found it’s way into my home, and two paper lanterns I want to use in summer, in the garden.

17. Lesley March 4, 2013 at 10:40 am #

This stuff is gorgeous! Such fun retro finds. Love your blog!

18. angela wilder June 23, 2013 at 2:23 pm #

I have eleventy million vintage wool blankets. :)