Finished Floors!

Finally, our floors are done! And I have to say, if I ever strip and seal another floor again, it will be too soon. Though I don’t regret taking on this task, I would be lying if I said there weren’t moments when Reuben and I seriousy questioned our decision. Me especially…

Second Bedroom 1

As Reubs has been at work since the initial drum sanding, most of the detail sanding and all of the sealing was up to me. (Oh my!) I have zero renovating experience and really had no idea what I was doing so, unsurprisingly, was very worried about ruining our floors. But somehow (thankfully!) I managed it. I’m actually quite pleased with how the floors came up!

There are two different kinds of wood in our floors – lovely Tasmanian Oak in the living room and entryway, and pine in the bedrooms and hallway. We realised we’d never be able to make the different woods look the same, but we hoped to make them a similar colour and tone so that the change in flooring where our two hallways meet wouldn’t be so jarring. To seal the floors I used Feast Watson Floorseal Oil, which I tinted with “Oak” coloured stain. I added 5% tint and did three coats of this, gradually building the depth of colour with each application. Then I did a final coat without tint. The great thing about using oil is that when our floors start to look a bit tired, we can refresh them by adding a fresh coat, without having to sand them back.

So, here’s our living room, before and after:

Living Room 1

Before

Living Room 1

After

And here’s the main bedroom:

Second Bedroom Stage 1

Before

Second Bedroom 2

After

I won’t bombard you with pictures of the other two bedrooms just now because they look much the same, and I’m sure you get the idea.

The floors are not perfect. At all. So if you are a perfectionist type who needs things to be just so, I wouldn’t recommend stripping and sealing your own floors. If however, you’re not too worried about perfection (like us), with time and patience it is a do-able job. Not fun, but do-able. And much cheaper than hiring someone else to do it. We’re just calling the lumps and bumps “rustic”.

I think rustic is much cozier than perfect anyway!

Tags: , , ,

51 Responses to “Finished Floors!”

1. Bethany February 14, 2013 at 1:09 am #

They look so beautiful! Great job! I can’t wait to see more pictures of your renovation.

2. Cookie February 14, 2013 at 1:15 am #

Beautiful!!

3. Messy February 14, 2013 at 1:15 am #

What a difference eh? They look awesome! Great job!

Cheers,
    Messy

4. Milynn February 14, 2013 at 1:18 am #

It is beautiful! Great job :) those lumps just add more character to your home, and that is perfect itself! The new flooring makes your living room look completely different!

Katie February 14, 2013 at 10:49 pm #

Yes, that’s it! Character. I like it :)

5. Allie H February 14, 2013 at 1:24 am #

Katie, the floors look INCREDIBLE. So proud of you guys for taking on this project and making your floors shine. In awe…

6. Kristen February 14, 2013 at 1:50 am #

they look wonderful! well done!

7. Maria @ CheekyPinkTulip February 14, 2013 at 2:16 am #

So shiny! Well done for getting it all done. It must feel so rewarding to feel that you’re one step closer to making your house a home!

Maria xx

8. Felicia February 14, 2013 at 2:24 am #

Wow! Great job to you both, they look amazing! I love the color you stained them, it looks so pretty!

Katie February 14, 2013 at 10:52 pm #

Thank you! We were so worried about the stain. It’s the kind of thing where, it doesn’t really matter how many samples you look at, you just can’t tell exactly how it will look until it’s actually on the floor. Thankfully it turned out pretty much just as we hoped it would! x

9. Bekuh February 14, 2013 at 3:05 am #

I cannot believe how gorgeous they are! Your house looks completely transformed. Good work friends!

10. Marcelle February 14, 2013 at 3:26 am #

The floors look great! They make the house come alive :-)

11. Jen February 14, 2013 at 4:18 am #

I’m going to stop lurking to say WOW. That color is beautiful–it practically glows! I especially love the Tasmanian oak. It’s a huge improvement, and it adds so much value to your home. I can’t wait to see what you do next.

Katie February 14, 2013 at 10:54 pm #

I have admit, I’d really love it was oak all the way through the house. I love it so! Thank you for delurking! :)

12. Penelope February 14, 2013 at 4:26 am #

Well done Katie, I’m so pleased you stuck to your plan. All that blood sweat and tears has created a beautiful space which you’ll both always love x I’m with you on not being into perfection, much prefer rustic too and things being a little wonky x

13. eliza February 14, 2013 at 4:32 am #

they look so so so FABULOUS! well done! i believe it was a terrible slog, but just imagine, as you live there for years and years, periodically looking down at the floor and thinking: i did that. that was me. congratulations!

14. Lis February 14, 2013 at 4:51 am #

Good job! I just love so much natural wooden floors.

15. ahr February 14, 2013 at 5:07 am #

C’est superbe !!

16. CJ February 14, 2013 at 5:10 am #

I’ve been checking my emails everyday for an update on the floors (obvs v busy at work!) and they look amazing – you should be chuffed to bits with yourselves. Such hard work but you can glow with pride every time you take a strut down those boards …

Katie February 14, 2013 at 10:58 pm #

Oh CJ, you are so nice! Thank you :)

17. Elle Mental February 14, 2013 at 5:12 am #

The floors look amazing! I know that you must be very happy to have it done and the results are something you can be proud of and reap satisfaction from for a long time to come! Congratulations! I am very happy for you! Elle

18. Louise February 14, 2013 at 6:59 am #

Your floors look seriously great and because you’ve done them yourselves it makes them all the more special !! I’ve always longed for wooden floors but Mr B won’t have them, so it looks like a life with carpet for me, lol :-)
    Truly well done !!

19. Emilie February 14, 2013 at 7:32 am #

Superbe Katie, tu as fait du bon travail!

20. Teresa February 14, 2013 at 7:36 am #

Wow! Such and epic task. I think you’ve done an amazing job!

21. Kathy February 14, 2013 at 7:43 am #

fantastic before and after and you’ll be surprised how proud you will be achieving these renovation tasks on your own and at the same time saving thousands that it would cost for a professional to do it. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane

Katie February 14, 2013 at 11:02 pm #

Yes! Doing it ourselves is SO satisfying. I am quite proud already, and we’ve only just begun! x

22. shannon February 14, 2013 at 7:53 am #

Lovely! You are always welcome to come to California i will be takling the same when our additon is done ;0)
    hugs!

23. The Life of Clare February 14, 2013 at 7:57 am #

Your floors look so lovely! What a little gem yu have discovered!

24. Jacqui February 14, 2013 at 8:01 am #

Wow, huge job but it looks stunning. Rustic is the way to go ;-)

25. Sarah @ Chantille Fleur February 14, 2013 at 8:25 am #

Your floors are looking brilliant! You must be so pleased (and somewhat relieved!) to have them finished :-D

Hope your day is a good one,
    Sarah xx

Katie February 14, 2013 at 11:00 pm #

I am so relieved! By the end of last week I was beginning to think we would never get the floors finished. And now we have, and it’s back to paint scraping! ;)

26. Rachael February 14, 2013 at 8:59 am #

Oh wow! They look gorgeous!!!!!! Why on earth would someone cover them with that ugly carpet? You did a great job!

27. Margaret February 14, 2013 at 10:21 am #

Well done….what an awesome difference, they look beautiful and will be so easy to care for. A few rugs anywhere you feel the cold in winter and it will be all good.
    You must be so proud to have done a wonderful job and saved so much money, onward ! can’t wait to see what you both tackle next.

28. Meredith February 14, 2013 at 10:22 am #

Beautiful!!! Wow!

29. cassie February 14, 2013 at 1:49 pm #

Good job! The living are is completely transformed! All your hard work paid off :)

• cassie February 14, 2013 at 1:50 pm #

*area! (not are)

30. Cassandra February 14, 2013 at 3:08 pm #

Oh wow!! Not perfect? I’ll take that stunning rich timber glow over anything any day!! Trust me, wood floors get banged up fast enough, no matter how careful you are, so it really will be loved and lived in – in no time!!

31. Becky February 15, 2013 at 7:21 am #

Wow! Your floors look GORGEOUS! Excellent! I personally couldn’t see any “lumps and bumps” as you call them, but I agree that rustic is cozier and warmer than perfect. Whoa. You guys really did an amazing job on this project! LOL As you move in furniture, think how insane you’ll be about not scraping the floor! :)

32. AmyS February 15, 2013 at 8:43 am #

You did an amazing job! I love how bright and fresh they look. Just marvelous!!

33. john h February 15, 2013 at 9:09 am #

The good thing about our fading memories is that you will always have the satisfaction of having done those beautiful floors, but you’ll eventually forget what a shitty job it was to do.
    Well done, Katie and Reuben, they look brilliant.

34. Nicole @ Treasure Tromp February 15, 2013 at 11:39 am #

looks amazing!

35. Tammi February 15, 2013 at 2:16 pm #

Oh my! How awesome do tour floors look? Great job guys…they may not be perfect but they ooze character :)
    Xx

36. Bill February 15, 2013 at 7:31 pm #

Well done Poss.Looks fabulous.Very proud of your efforts.

37. Carol February 15, 2013 at 9:44 pm #

Job really well done. Perfect and real.

38. lisa February 16, 2013 at 6:43 am #

They look so beautiful! Your hard work really paid off! I wish I had wood floors- that will be a priority in our next place. I really don’t like doing projects like this but it is always so rewarding!

39. Veronica February 16, 2013 at 1:53 pm #

great job! Can’t wait to see the house with your furniture in it.

40. Amy February 16, 2013 at 11:35 pm #

Holy Moly! Those fresh shiny floors look fantastic! Good job! I definitely regret not doing our floors before we moved into our current house. I know we could still do it now but the added task of moving the furniture out means I doubt we will ever get round to it. Anyway, who cares about my house – yours looks absolutely wonderful with those new floors!

41. Rita@thissortaoldlife February 20, 2013 at 12:39 am #

They are beautiful! While I can be a perfectionist, I think wood floors are better with imperfections. The variations in tone are lovely and part of their charm. They have history, which is its own kind of beauty. So impressed with your results! Can’t wait to see what else you do.

42. rebecca February 21, 2013 at 12:18 am #

Havent been by for a while. Just wanted to say – WOW!! Congrats on doing such a great job!!!

43. Jasmine Smith February 21, 2013 at 1:53 pm #

Magnificent flooring!

44. aimymichelle February 22, 2013 at 4:47 pm #

those are amazing floors!