We’re Buying a House!

House 3

Yes, that’s right! A house!!

When we decided to come stay with my mum so that we could save for a deposit, we had no idea we’d be buying our first home so soon, but it turned out there was a great little house for sale just around the corner from my mum’s place. The house was a bit rough around the edges and situated in a small village we never imagined we’d buy a home in, but it was so affordable and so full of potential, we decided it was too good an opportunity to pass up. Now, after a couple of months of anxiously waiting for our loan to be approved, having properties valued and inspected, and filling out many, many forms, it looks like we are going to be the proud owners of a lovely old house in a tiny country town! We are due to settle on January 21.

After 8 years of renting we can’t quite believe we will soon have a place to call ours. A house where we can hang pictures freely and not have to worry what the landlord might think of our fur babies. A home to put our stamp on and truly make our very own. We can’t wait to strip the floors back to the lovely wood beneath, paint all the walls fresh white and fill the rooms with all our beloved bits and pieces. We are also really excited about building a veggie patch, planting flowers and fruit trees and getting a couple of chickens!

If someone had told us while we were living in Sydney that in two years time we’d be buying an old house in a tiny rural village in Victoria, we would never have believed them. Our lives have changed so much in the last couple of years but we are getting closer to the lifestyle we dream of every single day. We are incredibly excited about this next part of our journey to a simple, mindful, beautiful life, and all the good things that home ownership will bring. We can’t wait to share our adventures in thrifty renovating and decorating, veggie patch building and chicken keeping here at House of Humble.

Wish us luck!

PS Our heart goes out to everyone in Australia who has been affected by bushfires this week. Though we’ve had 40°C temeperatures here, we are so fortunate to be out of the path of any fires. We hope you are all staying cool and safe during this extreme weather.

Tags: ,

57 Responses to “We’re Buying a House!”

1. Ana January 8, 2013 at 11:24 pm #

Great news! :) I am very happy for you and the house really seems full of potential! The idea of having a garden where you can plant some vegetables and have animals is great!
    Good luck :)

2. Dulce January 9, 2013 at 12:08 am #

congrats!!! i’m happy for you two guys :)

3. Bekuh January 9, 2013 at 12:24 am #

Bah! I’m so excited for you both, that’s beyond amazing news. The house looks adorable, and once you get your hands on it, it’s sure to be a stunner. Oh the stories you’ll have to tell. Hooray!

Katie January 9, 2013 at 11:10 am #

Thanks Behuh!! It needs a lot of TLC but has so much potential. Inside it is so light-filled and lovely. We can’t wait to get our hands dirty and make this old house beautiful :)

4. Louise @opshopped January 9, 2013 at 12:37 am #

Congrats! I bought my first home last year and the best bit is being able to grow a great veggie garden without worrying about moving

Katie January 9, 2013 at 11:10 am #

Yes!! We are SO excited about that! Reubs especially :)

5. Savanah January 9, 2013 at 12:39 am #

Congratulations!! The hous is beautiful! I LOVE all the windows in the front! Can’t wait for the tour :)

Katie January 9, 2013 at 11:12 am #

Thank you! And we love the windows too! They make it so light-filled inside, which is quite unusual for a house of this era (1950s) and style.

6. holly January 9, 2013 at 1:08 am #

Congrats! That’s so exciting and the house looks lovely! Can’t wait to see what you guys do to the place.

7. Helen January 9, 2013 at 1:36 am #

Massive congratulations to you both! I really admire your purposeful direction in deciding what sort of life you want to live and taking steps towards it

8. Elle Mental January 9, 2013 at 1:38 am #

Home ownership is a landmark milestone. I am very happy for you! We have loved our little cottage in a small town we never would have considered living in… it has been bittersweet, but we have never regretted choosing to live in the middle of nowhere, in a house was rough around the edges. If kept in perspective, even the hardships of owning and renovating an old house will be looked upon fondly in the years to come and will make for some good stories to tell. Congrats and best wishes!

Katie January 9, 2013 at 11:14 am #

Thanks so much for sharing your insight Elle! I can so relate to everything you said. It might seem an unusual choice but we are 100% confident our old house in the middle of the nowhere is the right choice for us xx

9. Milynn {love and whimsy} January 9, 2013 at 3:44 am #

Congrats! This is a beautiful home and I cannot wait to see how it will look when you make it your own :)

10. robbie January 9, 2013 at 4:42 am #

congrats! it’s such a cute lil’ place. the green trim is adorable.

Katie January 9, 2013 at 11:28 am #

Haha, don’t hate me for this Robbie but I am actually DYING to paint over that green! In real life it just looks far too dark for the rest of the house :)

11. Lilea January 9, 2013 at 5:08 am #

Oh! How lovely! I can’t wait to see how cute the inside is. I’m so, so happy for you.

12. Jenna January 9, 2013 at 5:10 am #

Yayy this is a fantastic turn of events! I’m so very happy for you two =) congratulations on the home, it looks so quaint and comfortable. I can’t wait for future posts from the new Humble Home!

13. Louise January 9, 2013 at 5:35 am #

Congratulations, it couldn’t have happened to a nicer couple. What fun you’re going to have, deciding what goes where, colour schemes, curtains, cushions etc. The furries will love having somewhere new to explore and find their favourite places.
    Lots of fun ahead.

14. Jenn January 9, 2013 at 6:15 am #

Congratulations!

15. Bastete January 9, 2013 at 6:17 am #

I’m really happy for you! House looks quite big to me and it’s lovely!!! I hope will be amazing place for you

Katie January 9, 2013 at 11:17 am #

Yes, I suppose it is quite big really, especially for a house of it’s age and style. Thank you! :)

16. eliza January 9, 2013 at 6:30 am #

oh wow! congratulations! i’m very very excited for you, and really looking forward to see what you do with the place!

17. Becky Bedbug January 9, 2013 at 6:43 am #

Ooh how exciting!

Becky
    xx

18. Kristen January 9, 2013 at 7:04 am #

congratulations! that’s so exciting! It will be the cutest house in Victoria I’m sure!

Katie January 9, 2013 at 11:30 am #

Haha! You are too nice. Thank you Kristen! xx

19. Librarygirl January 9, 2013 at 7:24 am #

Congratulations! You will have so much fun putting your stamp on your own place.

20. Ngaio January 9, 2013 at 8:49 am #

Congratulations you guys!! Such an awesome step! Can’t wait to see your decorating and creations for your new home! :)

Ngaio xx

21. Nicole @ Treasure Tromp January 9, 2013 at 8:52 am #

how exciting! congratulations!!

22. Veggie mama January 9, 2013 at 10:10 am #

You guys! I’m SO excited for you!! This is wonderful. I can’t wait to see what you do with your adorable little cozy cottage. Save some room for us to come and visit, we’re moving to Vic at the end of the year xx

Katie January 9, 2013 at 11:19 am #

You’re moving to Victoria!? I didn’t know that! You are so gonna love it down here. QLD will always be our home state but I can’t imagine leaving Victoria now… And of course we would LOVE you to visit! xx

23. JessB January 9, 2013 at 10:47 am #

Oh my goshness, that’s so exciting!!! I’m so delighted for you both, Katie and Reuben!

I would love to take a step like this one day, but just can’t ever see it happening for me.

Which makes it all the more exciting when it happens for someone I know!

Katie January 9, 2013 at 11:25 am #

Never say never Jess! When Reubs and I were living in Sydney we were totally convinced we would never be able to afford our own home. But, even though we are now earning MUCH less than we were in Sydney, moving to a much, much cheaper area and changing our lifestyle habits has allowed us to. Your situation right now might not be conducive to buying a house but you never know where you’ll be in ten, five or even two years. So please don’t give up hope! xx

24. Jane @ Shady Baker January 9, 2013 at 11:12 am #

Congratulations Katie, how exciting for you both. This house looks lovely with plenty of character and potential!

25. Heidi January 9, 2013 at 11:15 am #

A huge CONGRATULATIONS to you both, that is so exciting for you. We wish you every success with your new home and can’t wait to read your stories as you move in and make it your own. Such a cute house, so perfect for you both xx

26. Janet January 9, 2013 at 2:11 pm #

Nothing beats the feeling of owning your own space, and every little thing that you fix up will be even more special to you. Homes, just like life are always works in progress, no matter what condition they start out in! Can’t wait to see what you guys do with your new place! Congrats to you both!

27. Sarah @ Chantille Fleur January 9, 2013 at 4:40 pm #

Oh, congratulations! Such beautiful news! I think you little home will be a dear place when you have moved into it! But poor you in having to pack up all over again! At least you know that after this move, you won’t be packing up again in a hurry. I’m so excited for you – wishing you & Reuben all the best, xx

28. Penelope January 9, 2013 at 6:44 pm #

How wonderful for you both, really exciting and so excited to see how you make it yours xox Congratulations! xox Penelope

29. aimymichelle January 9, 2013 at 7:10 pm #

congrats!

30. Betty Zee January 9, 2013 at 8:33 pm #

CONGRATULATIONS!!! It is an amazing thing …life… all the ducking and diving and wheeling and dealing we do withh ourselves with our hopes and dreams that sometimes we don’t even know what we actually really want until it is in front of you…and how much life can change within days let alone months or even years! The house looks amazing and I can see that you can put your own stamp on it and beable to put all your little bits and bobs out and not worry about landlords…I envy you both!! So all very best for the New year and what a new year it will be!x

31. Carol January 9, 2013 at 9:43 pm #

A little house in a small village would seem to be a perfect fit for you and Reuben. I am really looking forward to seeing how you make it your own.

32. Cookie January 10, 2013 at 2:02 am #

Congrats!! So very happy for you!! Will look forward to pictures!! :)

33. Sarah January 10, 2013 at 8:29 am #

That’s amazing news! I thought when you posted about living with your mum there was a tinge of sadness to that decision (albeit it a very sensible one money-wise). I kind of had a feeling there was more pulling you in that direction than financial sensibility. It’s amazing to think that you might never have found your house otherwise.

We’re almost completing on a house of our own now too! I haven’t blogged it until it’s more definite but our offer has been accepted – so exciting!

Congrats to you and I can’t wait to see you DIY renovations :)

Sarah @ A Cat-Like Curiosity

34. Sam January 10, 2013 at 9:23 am #

Oh congratulations! It warms my heart to see that you will have a little place to call your own! All that paperwork and all the work you with do fixer-uppering will be totally worth it! (My new husband and I are just starting to look for a humble house to call our own too, so i look forward to seeing -and maybe borrowing :) all your ideas!)

35. Lisa Williams January 10, 2013 at 10:25 am #

Congrats!!!! The house looks nice and big too. Tell us more about it. How many bed rooms and bathrooms??? So happy for you both.

36. Cassie January 10, 2013 at 12:08 pm #

Congratulations!! Having done both owning and renting, I totally agree with you about the advantages for simple living with owning and making your own decisions. The house looks like it has a lot of potential, can’t wait to see how you transform it!!

37. Arianna January 10, 2013 at 10:00 pm #

Congratulations! I am very happy for you! :)

38. Tennizzlle January 10, 2013 at 11:13 pm #

Super cute house! Looking through this and your more recent post reminded me of the Young House Love website, are you familiar with it? I am slowly working on my own house and they have some great DIY ideas! Their site is http://www.younghouselove.com

39. Tammi January 10, 2013 at 11:47 pm #

That is fantastic news guys…what an awesome way to start the New Year!
    Look forward to seeing you make your house a home :)
    Xx

40. MeganK January 11, 2013 at 11:41 pm #

Wow!! That’s the most exciting news, congratulations :)
    First home – there is NOTHING like it. Enjoy!
    x

41. Jacqui January 13, 2013 at 5:30 pm #

Wow, great news :-). Wishing you both the best with the move and with home ownership. We bought our little patch of land nearly 12 months ago now, and have had some ups and downs with the whole thing – getting the vegie garden going, finally getting the chooks (and losing a little chook, very sad). Everything seems to take longer than we think it will, no complaints though.
    Enjoy the journey!

42. Kelly January 13, 2013 at 10:11 pm #

i cant believe how out of the loop i am. OH my lord, this is SO EXCITING. congrats x a million.

43. Renee January 17, 2013 at 1:47 pm #

That’s great news! Congrats! I’ve been following your blog since you were in Sydney so i’m so happy for you as I know you’ve wanted this a long time! x

Katie January 17, 2013 at 4:18 pm #

It is so nice to hear from someone who has been reading since the beginning! Thank you Renee xx

44. Michelle Clement January 29, 2013 at 3:16 am #

Oooh…congrats, you guys!! What a little gem! :) I can’t wait to see how you vintage up the place…and your veggie patch, of course! So exciting!

1. Home Inspiration | House of Humble - January 10, 2013

[...] been collecting pictures of pretty homes on Pinterest since long before we were considering buying a house of our own. I’m so excited to finally have the chance to get to put some of that inspiration to use! The [...]

2. Lately… | House of Humble - January 12, 2013

[...] We have been so very, very excited about our upcoming move! [...]

3. Our Financial Journey to a Simpler Life | House of Humble - January 24, 2013

[...] some of you must have wondered how we went from moving in with my mum to save for a deposit, to buying our own house just two short months later, and I think it’s important for us to explain how we did it. Our [...]