Summer Strawberries

Toast with Cream Cheese, Strawberries and Honey

Strawberries, Balsamic Vinegar and Brown Sugar

Baked Cheesecake with Balsamic Roasted Strawberries

Balsamic Roasted Strawberries

Yesterday was cool and rainy here which, after weeks of scorching temperatures and months of intense sunshine, was utterly blissful. To make the most of the cooler weather we slipped into long sleeves for the first time in ages, and headed to the local farmer’s market to wander about the gorgeous fresh produce. While we were there I snapped up four big punnets of strawberries for just $5! A lot of the strawberries were perfect but a few of them were beginning to look a little worse for wear, so after picking out a few of the best ones and having them on toast with cream cheese and honey, I decided I needed to do something with the rest sooner rather than later. Happily, the cooler weather made yesterday perfect for baking!

I drizzled the strawberries with a little balsamic vingar and sprinkled them with brown sugar, then roasted them until they were wonderfully syrupy. Of course, there was only one option for the resulting pile of delicious, sweet and tangy, roasted strawberries. I obviously had to put them in a cheesecake. Since my first foray into baking cheesecake I’ve quickly become the cheesecake queen around these parts. That recipe is a keeper!

Once I was done baking, Reubs and I spent the rest of the afternoon curled up on the couch on my mum’s back verandah with our Daisy dog. We read our books and listened to the gentle pitter patter of the rain on the roof. Later, we had roast veggies and chickpea sausages for dinner, followed by strawberry cheesecake for dessert. It was lovely. A perfect Sunday really.

I hope you’re weekend was equally as delightful? Wishing you all shiny, happy things for the week ahead!

Tags: , , , , ,

15 Responses to “Summer Strawberries”

1. Sarah @ Chantille Fleur January 14, 2013 at 2:28 pm #

What a happy weekend! I LOVE strawberries!
    xox

2. Meredith January 14, 2013 at 2:55 pm #

What beautiful strawberries! Your strawberry cheesecake looks so delicious. I’m glad you and Reuben had a wonderful weekend. I hope you have an even better week! :)

3. Penelope January 14, 2013 at 6:54 pm #

It’s amazing how balsamic vinegar and sugar helps to draw out all those strawberry juices. I’ve done this but never thought about roasting the mixture, looks so delish! I made the raspberry version of this cheesecake after seeing your previous post about it Katie and it went down a treat with all my work colleagues x Penelope
    I love the pitter patter of rain, there is something quite comforting about this,wishing you and Reuben a great, cooler week. We have woken up toour first bit of snow this morning, it looks like icing sugar on the roof tops!

Katie January 15, 2013 at 8:27 pm #

Oh, I’m so glad the cheesecake turned out well for you! It’s quickly become a favourite in our family. I love the sound of rain too. It’s one of my very favourite things! And enjoy the snow! We don’t snow here so I can’t help but feel a little jealous… xx

4. Charlotte January 15, 2013 at 12:28 am #

oooohh yummm looks delicious! I have still yet to try making a baked cheesecake, I really need to give it a go, think I would love it!

Katie January 15, 2013 at 8:31 pm #

The recipe I use (and liked to) is super, duper easy and delicious. Before I tried it I had only ever baked one cheesecake (which was a disaster!) but so far all three cheesecakes I have made with that recipe have turned out perfectly. So I can highly recommend it to those without cheesecake baking experience! ;)

5. Milynn {love and whimsy} January 15, 2013 at 12:31 am #

Sounds like a lovely weekend indeed! I’ve yet to try baking a cheesecake!

6. Shannon January 15, 2013 at 3:37 am #

Those strawberries look to die for yummy! It is cold as crazy here in Southern California and we aren’t used to 50degree days and nites in the 30’s – so those summer strawberries look heavenly!
    Love your blog! Can’t wait to see more of the new house!
    Fondly!
    Shannon

Katie January 15, 2013 at 8:32 pm #

Aw, thanks so much Shannon! Hope you get some warmer weather soon :)

7. domestickate January 15, 2013 at 5:23 am #

The strawberries look delicious, and your photos are always so vibrant! Do you have tips for taking good photos?

Katie January 15, 2013 at 8:35 pm #

Oh, you are so nice! We use a Nikon D3000, mostly on Aperture Priority Mode. Then we tweak levels/curves in photoshop where needed. But all I can really recommend is practice, practice, practice! I know I’ve gotten much better at taking pictures since we bought our camera 2 years ago, but I’ve still got so much to learn! xx

8. miss minty January 15, 2013 at 5:40 am #

Ah Katie. You’re making me ache for summertime!

9. Elle Mental January 15, 2013 at 6:00 am #

O-oh! The roasted veggie and chick pea sausages sound delish! I am vegan and always looking for new veggie dishes…did you make them from scratch or buy them at the store? If you made them would you share the recipe? I am glad you had a nice quiet Sunday, cuddling and reading is the best!

Katie January 15, 2013 at 8:37 pm #

Sadly these ones were just from the supermarket. But I have plans to experiment with homemade veggie sausage making, so if I have any success I will be sure to let you know! xx

10. Molleigh January 26, 2013 at 10:17 am #

Oh my, this looks gorgeous. Here in England its currently half snowing half raining. oh how i long for summer, with strawberries <3