Hello Wood Frames!

Door Frame

Wood

Wood in Hall

In our first week as homeowners we began the arduous task of stripping back our blistering door frames and skirting boards, only to discover that hiding under all that bubbly paint there was beautiful wood! In a previous life this wood was exposed and varnished. Before we realised what was underneath we intended to paint all our door frames, skirting boards and windows, but now that we have discovered all this lovely wood, it seems like a terrible shame to cover it up. So it looks like the wood is here to stay! Now we just need to strip the old varnish back, sand it all, and refinish it with a different tint. (And scrape the rest of the skirting boards, door frames and windows in the house…) It’s quite an intimadating amount of work, but we know it’ll be worth it in the end.

You might also have noticed that in the last picture up there, the carpet in our hallway is gone! Over the weekend we began the rather hellish experience of stripping our own floors. But I’ll save that story for another day.

PS I hope you don’t mind being inundated with renovating posts for a little while. At the moment our every spare moment is spent working on our house, so there isn’t much else going on!

Tags: , , , ,

34 Responses to “Hello Wood Frames!”

1. Bianca January 28, 2013 at 12:58 am #

Definitely don’t mind being inundated with renovation pictures! They’re inspiring! Good work guys!

2. robbie January 28, 2013 at 1:17 am #

that is pretty! what a secret treasure!

3. Lilea January 28, 2013 at 2:34 am #

I’ve lived through renovating an old house, so I’m looking forward to following your journey! It’s always surprising what you’ll find under other people’s coats of paint! The door frame wood is beautiful, but oh, look at those awesome floors!

Katie January 28, 2013 at 10:10 pm #

Yes, I know! The floors! I was so thrilled to rip up that carpet. I’ll put a post together about our adventures in stripping those floors soon! :)

4. Bekuh January 28, 2013 at 3:58 am #

Wow, what an awesome surprise, and how quickly you’re getting to work too! At this rate the whole house will be done in no time. The hallway looks great.

5. Cookie January 28, 2013 at 4:23 am #

LOOK FORWARD TO THE PHOTOS! :)

6. Rita@thissortaoldlife January 28, 2013 at 5:57 am #

Love wood! And will love following along. Feeling so envious of those floors you discovered under the carpet. Our house was built in the late 70’s, so the only thing under our ugly carpet was ugly particleboard. :-( And the original trim was all removed and replaced with not-wood, so paint is our only option. Do not envy you all that sanding, but it will be beautiful when you’re done!

Katie January 28, 2013 at 10:13 pm #

I am so very, very happy about the floor boards! They have been a nightmare to sand back but they should be gorgeous when they’re done. Same with the door frames. I just can’t to have it all finished! x

7. tony January 28, 2013 at 7:34 am #

Renovating often has pleasant surprises. We pulled up horrible lino on our kitchen counter to discover jarrah benchtops. Wishing you more happy discoveries!

Katie January 28, 2013 at 10:17 pm #

Wow, fancy covering lovely jarrah with lino?! The mind boggles! I bet you were super chuffed about that discovery :)

8. Mike January 28, 2013 at 7:40 am #

Wow! You’re making great progress, already.

I love the pictures. Keep them coming. It’s fun to watch the transformation. You’ll have that place fixed up just the way you like it — in no time at all.

Have a great week!

9. Milynn January 28, 2013 at 7:44 am #

What a great surprise! Such a shame those were covered up! And now they have another chance :) those wood floors are beautiful as well!

10. eliza January 28, 2013 at 8:39 am #

WHOOO! GO TEAM RENOVATE!

it’s gonna be gorgeous, and i’m excited to watch it happen. stock up on your upbeat music!

Katie January 28, 2013 at 10:19 pm #

Yes, music really, really helps! It’s amazing how quickly the time passes when you’re listening to some good tunes and in the paint scraping zone ;)

11. Becc January 28, 2013 at 9:06 am #

Meant to be? Ooo yeah! It’s like a pass the parcel :)

12. Elle Mental January 28, 2013 at 9:59 am #

How exciting to find such nice wood molding. I think it is a great Idea to refinish it! Keep on posting about your progress, I love hearing about it and am cheering you on from here!

13. Alana January 28, 2013 at 10:23 am #

What a transformation! I love DIY reno shows so am loving all your before and after posts right now. x

Katie January 28, 2013 at 10:30 pm #

Oh, I love DIY reno shows too!! Especially the English ones, where they restore decrepit (but beautiful) old historical homes! :)

14. janet January 28, 2013 at 11:10 am #

And look at your beautiful floors too! Our house had really nice wooden frames and doors but we decided to have wooden window sills and floors and paint the rest – mainly because our house is tiny and has very small rooms. Gerard made me strip and sand everything wooden that was going to be painted and I thought it was such a waste, but it wasn’t – the resulting paint job on the doors was so sharp and nice looking. That said, your house looks like it has good sized rooms and wood moulding and doors look lovely.

Love watching a renovation!

15. Kelly January 28, 2013 at 12:24 pm #

Please keep the photo’s coming. This is part of your journey and this is what I love to read about on your BLOG. You are both beautiful people and deserve this time to show off your new home. Well done and be proud of your achievements. I look forward to seeing your beautiful home take on the personality of you both.

Katie January 28, 2013 at 10:22 pm #

Oh, thank you Kelly! You are so kind. I promise there are many, MANY more renovating posts and photos to come! x

16. Shannon January 28, 2013 at 12:36 pm #

Absolutely love renovation posts! Excited to follow along! :)

17. Ravs January 28, 2013 at 8:30 pm #

I’m looking forward to seeing the transformation happen. I grew up in a house about this age and have fond memories of the varnished wooden skirting, door frames and indeed doors.

18. Meg January 28, 2013 at 8:38 pm #

Hi Katie, you comment about there being an ‘intimidating amount of work’ reminded me of something my Dad said to us when we bought our humble weather-board and we had a rather long and ‘intimidating’ DIY/jobs list, “How would you eat an elephant? One bite at a time!” Metaphorical elephant eating obviously!! You guys have made a brilliant start . . . best wishes . . .

Katie January 28, 2013 at 10:25 pm #

Ha! I love it Meg! Thanks for sharing that little piece of wisdom. Will definately have to keep it in mind for when I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed :)

19. Natasha January 29, 2013 at 1:50 am #

What a nice surprise, it looks beautiful. Good luck with all the work.

20. Sam January 29, 2013 at 5:11 am #

I just found your blog and just love it. I love how open and honest you have been about everything, even your finances. I think that more people need to live more simply, even me! I hope I’ll be able to find inspiration from your blog.

21. Jennifer January 29, 2013 at 7:10 am #

I love your home updates! I sat my husband down and showed him your blog last night and pulled Rhonda’s book off our shelf because he has been talking daily about how it’s time we started saving for a home. You’re a good example of how it’s possible :)

Katie January 29, 2013 at 9:36 am #

Oh, that is so exciting Jennifer! It makes me so happy to think our story might help in your journey, in any small way. Good luck, you CAN do it!! :)

22. Esther January 29, 2013 at 10:29 am #

Katie, as a long time fan of Grand Designs and a follower of a heap of design blogs, I love this kinda thing! You keep posting lady and we’ll keep reading!

Esther.

23. sophie. January 29, 2013 at 7:09 pm #

hi guys! I just discovered your blog and am over the moon to find fellow Nana-ish people, (sorry if that offends.) i really admire you r mission to strive to achieve an environment of self-suffiency in the consumerative and industrial world we live in today. you have inspired me and many others to try and minimize the amount of waste and silly impulse buys. Thank you for supplying a a great read for rainy days and to be comforted that there are other people in the world that are human and have problems with envying other people when your life is as equally self-satisfying. i wish you all the best with the renovation and I would wish you all the best in the future as the gifted and talented couple you are. Don’t be put off writing because you think you have nothing interesting to say, think again!
    your devoted reader and supporter
    sophie
    bY the way sorry about the typing my epad is kind of stuffed up. Technology these days.
    .also, whats up with reaubens red converses? does her have another pair of shoes?

Katie January 29, 2013 at 9:32 pm #

Hi Sophie! Thanks so much for your lovely comment and no, not offended at all. We are nanna-ish and PROUD! ;) Reubs does own other shoes but his red converse are his favourites. He wears them 90% of the time that he isn’t at work! :)

24. Anski January 30, 2013 at 7:19 pm #

Looks so great!

1. A Little Painting Progress | House of Humble - May 6, 2013

[...] coats of paint, but we are almost finished! You might remember that when we started stripping paint we found the wood underneath had previously been varnished and we decided to keep the wood exposed? Yes well, as you can see we changed our minds. We [...]