Four Good Books

Katie and I love books! And lately we’ve aquired a few amazing new ones. Here are four of our current favourites. They all just so happen to be by very clever Australian authors!

Whole Larder Love

I gave this one to Katie for Christmas. Whole Larder Love is one of our favourite blogs and Mr Anderson lives and blogs in not-very-far-away Ballarat. His book is brilliantly designed and spectacularly photographed. It is all about looking to nature for food, focused on growing, gathering, hunting, cooking and being active in the production of the stuff you eat. I read Whole Larder Love from cover to cover in just a few days, which I never do. It is that good!

The Little Veggie Patch Cos Guide to Backyard Farming

I recieved The Little Veggie Patch Co‘s Guide to Backyard Farming as a birthday gift from Katie in December, and spent a good portion of my Christmas break eating up every word. The book spans a whole year in the garden and has been the catalyst for my current veggie patch planning frenzy. I was lucky enough to run into Mr Capomolla when he was in Bendigo recently and he was really nice and happy to chat to me. Katie and I will definitely have to pop in to the Little Veggie Patch Co. shop next time we’re in Melbourne.

What Katie Ate 2 I gave this book to Katie as a gift for our 8th anniversary last week. It’s a beautiful book written by Australian blogger Katie Quinn Davies, with amazing photography throughout. Katie had been saying she wanted this book for a while before I bought it, and now I can see why! I can’t wait to have a chomp on the Homemade Baked Beans on Toast and gobble up the Caramelised Onion and Goat’s Cheese Tartlets with Balsamic Syrup… Yum!

The Gourmet Farmer Deli Book

I was given the Gourmet Farmer Deli Book by an awesome friend for my birthday last month. Gourmet Farmer is an Australian TV show that follows food critic Matthew Evans on his journey to building a simpler life, more connected to his food, in rural Tasmania. Kind of similar to the UK’s River Cottage series. This book is about preserving food through butter and cheese making, curing meats, making sauces, pickling and such. I absolutely can’t wait to have a go at making feta and ricotta.

So there you have it! Four good books that have entertained, inspired and educated us this last month.

What have you been reading lately?

Reuben

Tags: , , , ,

Reuben

About Reuben

Reuben is a green thumb with a knitting machine for a brain. He likes dinosaurs, The Beatles and homebrew (among many other things).

18 Responses to “Four Good Books”

1. Jennifer January 16, 2013 at 8:52 pm #

Thanks for your post :) I’ve been deciding whether to buy Whole Larder Love and What Katie Ate, they sound very well worth it.

Katie January 17, 2013 at 11:10 am #

They are both truly beautiful books. We love them! x

2. Petit Pixel January 16, 2013 at 8:54 pm #

I got `What Katie Ate’ for xmas and drooled on almost every page ;)

Katie January 17, 2013 at 11:10 am #

Haha, me too! And the design and photography is just so good! Love.

3. Lou January 16, 2013 at 9:05 pm #

These books look great! These days I am really into growing, making and preserving food myself if I can.
    My fav book by far is the Little Veggie Patch Co. I have the other one (about growing food in small spaces) and would highly recommend it. We followed it to a tee and so far have harvested tomatos, corn, rocket, basil and mint! (I’m repeating myself a bit here, I mentioned this in the comments section of your previous blog post haha!) But honestly, I can’t sing their praises enough.
    My next goal is to make my own butter! Yum!

• Reuben
      Reuben January 17, 2013 at 11:17 am #

Yes, I definitely have to get my hands on a copy of their other book. It sounds awesome! And so good to hear you had so much success following their directions. Homegrown tomatos, corn, rocket, basil and mint! How exciting! :)

4. Nadine January 16, 2013 at 10:30 pm #

You know what, Reuben. All four books instantly landed on my wishlist for my upcoming birthday in March. Okay, “What Katie ate” was already on that list, but the other three books are just my kind of type!
    I plan to move in with my boyfriend sometime this year and we desperately want to start our own veggie patch as well. Lately he started to talk about trying to make his own butter as well and I secretly dream of having a few chickens running around in that garden, too…

Can’t wait what you make of your new home! I’ll stay tuned!
    Love, Nadine

• Reuben
      Reuben January 17, 2013 at 11:21 am #

You guys sound like my kind of people! I am SO excited about our future veggie patch and getting some chickens. I’d love to have a go at making our own butter too! Best of luck with your veggie patch and butter making adventures :)

5. Milynn January 16, 2013 at 10:41 pm #

These books have been on my wishlist! Now, I cannot wait to get my hands on them sooner.

6. Faith January 17, 2013 at 12:05 am #

Those all sound like great books! I’ve been wanting the whole larder love book for a while since I love his blog, but the guide to backyard farming also sounds awesome. I’ll be moving soon and hoping to have a very productive veggie patch in my new place and I’ll need some help!

Katie January 17, 2013 at 11:27 am #

Oh, how exciting! Good luck veggie patching Faith! x

7. Shannon January 17, 2013 at 3:02 am #

These look FANTASTIC! Thanks for posting!!!

8. robbie January 17, 2013 at 5:46 am #

rohan’s book is incredible! i’ll have to check the others out. i love a good cookbook.

9. Jane @ Shady Baker January 17, 2013 at 8:10 am #

Excellent selection Reuben. I love Whole Larder Love too (who doesn’t?) it is so inspirational! I am huge fan of the Little Veggie Patch guys also. I have their first book and refer to it constantly. I might have to add your other two recommendations to my wish list!

• Reuben
      Reuben January 17, 2013 at 11:23 am #

We definitely need to get their first book – everyone is singing it’s praises! And Rohan is quite simply a genius. Love his work :)

10. Tammi January 17, 2013 at 11:54 am #

What a great book selection! I have wanted The Little Veggie Patch co’s first book for a while and was oogling over a friend’s copy of What Katie ate that she recieved for Xmas. Matthew Evan’s cookbooks have been on my list for far too long…I am now adding this one and I have heard so much about about Whole Larder Love that that book is fast getting bumped up the wishlist too :)

I love that you two are striving to make a lot of what you eat from scratch…I have not yet made feta but ricotta is so, so easy that once you make it you will wonder why you waited so long.

x

11. Sarah @ Chantille Fleur January 17, 2013 at 10:11 pm #

What lovely sounding reads! Thank-you so much for sharing – I’ll definitely have to look these up in the library!
    xx

12. Christie January 19, 2013 at 7:58 am #

Did you see that Rohan is thinking about workshops? How utterly exciting!