In Our Kitchen

Lately, in our kitchen, I have been making lots of good, summery stuff.

We have been eating a lot of salad with roasted pumpkin, leafy greens, haloumi or feta cheese, avocado and walnuts. With quiche. With chickpea patties. With macaroni and cheese. With anything!

I have been obsessed with french toast and have been eating it for breakfast most mornings.

I have made this apricot and almond tart but sadly, didn’t like it much. Everyone else said it was ok, but I don’t think it was sweet enough. Maybe flavourless apricots were to blame?

We have demolished this cheesecake and enjoyed every last bite!

I have made a delicious mushroom “stoup” with dumplings, based loosley on this recipe. Not so summery, but very good nonetheless!

On lazy evenings I have been making either pan fried haloumi and garlicy mushrooms on toast, or a cheaty version of veggie nachos. Both take about 15 minutes to make and both are absolutely scrumptious.

What’s been happening in your kitchen lately?

Tags: , , , , ,

22 Responses to “In Our Kitchen”

1. domestickate December 16, 2012 at 3:46 am #

The roasted pumpkin with salad sounds delicious! I need to keep that in mind as my CSA keeps giving me tough, gnarly winter squash and I don’t really know what to do with it.

In my kitchen (other than the gnarly squash), I’ve been concocting laundry detergent! Not very tasty, but I hope to save some money and feel like a pioneer!

Katie December 16, 2012 at 11:40 am #

Yes, give the salad a go! It is so good! And I love that you are making laundry detergent. I have been meaning to give that a go for the longest time! I think I’ll have to make detergent-making a news years resolution :)

2. Penny Peberdy December 16, 2012 at 3:58 am #

I think it’s using fresh apricots. They rarely have any taste I find. Best to use the partly-dried ones if you can find them.

Anyway, looking at your gorgeous food has made me hungry, so must go and cook dinner!

Penny
    x

Katie December 16, 2012 at 11:41 am #

Yes, I do think dried apricots would have been better! Maybe a little extra honey too, just for good measure ;)

3. Gina December 16, 2012 at 6:33 am #

Hello, Katie and Reuben!

Since It’s winter here in the northeast of the USA, I’ve been making hot soups. Using the leftover turkey bones from Thanksgiving to cook up stock. Adding veggies and beans. Also making black beans and rice plus roasted root vegetables like squash, potatoes, yams and even some onions and whole heads of garlic. Very comforting food on a cold night. Baking banana/apple cake, too. I vary the recipes slightly so nothing gets boring. Love all the food photos you print! Looking forward to more installments of your adventures. :>

Gina

Katie December 16, 2012 at 11:43 am #

There is NOTHING better that a lovely hearty soup when the weather is cold. And banana cake is always delicious! Sounds wonderful Gina :)

4. Holli Anne December 16, 2012 at 3:54 pm #

Oh my, all of this looks fabulous, especially the cheesecake and that last dish with the corn. I need that one!

I’ve been doing lots of holiday cooking lately-candy for presents. And I did try my hand at a peppermint cheesecake, which I did like but not as much as I like plain and fruity cheesecake, so that raspberry looks AMAZING!

5. Natasha December 16, 2012 at 8:30 pm #

I’ve been trying to create some quick and easy meals, because I usually spend a lot of time cooking. I love it, but I think I should be spending more time working.

6. Meg December 16, 2012 at 9:18 pm #

Katie, that French toast looks awesome! Do you have a special recipe? I’ve never made it before, but your photo is making want to eat it for breakfast every day too!!

Katie December 17, 2012 at 10:32 am #

Hi Meg! I just make french toast the same way my mum always did, which is extremely unfancy! For two pieces of french toast I just whisk together one egg and a dash of milk (you can also add a little sugar and vanilla but since I always have it with maple syrup, I don’t find the sugar and vanilla necessary). Then I dunk the bread in the egg/milk mixture and gently pan fry it in a little butter. That’s it! Oh and I highly recommend using bread that hasn’t been pre-sliced. I think really thick slices work much better for french toast so when we buy bread we always buy it unsliced, then cut it into big chunky slices ourselves :)

• Meg December 17, 2012 at 9:36 pm #

Thank you so much . . . will be buying a loaf of unsliced bread tomorrow!! And as for what we’re cooking (your original question), tonight I made a leak, cauliflower and cheese roll (think giant sausage roll) baked until golden and served with a little salad . . . and last Friday, my little boy (3) and I made lemon slice together . . . and tonight we ate the last pieces! Delicious!

Katie December 17, 2012 at 10:42 pm #

My pleasure! Your leek cauliflower and cheese roll sounds delicious and lemon slice is one of my favourites! Yum.

7. Marcelle December 17, 2012 at 12:08 am #

Nothing much, i’m afraid :-(
    I did however made some good soup: pinda bravoe. I’s a peanut-soup from Suriname. Everybody loves it!

8. Sofia December 17, 2012 at 3:40 pm #

The food looks crazy tasty, I am hungry now! My favorite these days is butternut squash soup, which is perfect for the season.

9. Sarah @ Chantille Fleur December 17, 2012 at 3:54 pm #

Oooh ~ lots of yummy things happening in your house!
    Lately we’ve been enjoying homemade pizza and lots of delicious local mangoes and lychees, and we’ve been eating tons of salad.

xx

Katie December 17, 2012 at 10:44 pm #

Oh mangoes and lychees are my two very favourite fruits! Yum, yum, YUM!! x

10. robbie December 18, 2012 at 5:12 am #

OH NO! I’M STARVINGGGGGGGG.

11. Jessica L December 18, 2012 at 2:23 pm #

Ooooh! All this looks and sounds so good! And they are beautiful photos of course! Your kitchen makes me feel “right at home”.=) -Jessica L

12. Banana Meet-Cute December 19, 2012 at 3:15 pm #

I love seeing what other people are eating. I’ve currently been enjoying all the avocados and mangos that are in season, but now I have a hankering for some french toast, delish!

13. inkberryblue December 19, 2012 at 11:05 pm #

Katie,
    All these dishes look delicious…especially the cheat’s veggie nachos. Could you share the recipe please? (By the way, your quick tomato, basil and goat’s cheese pasta has become a staple at my place. I love having yummy~yet~easy recipes ~ sooooo much nicer than fast food when I’m too tired to cook.)

14. greedy nan December 21, 2012 at 3:02 am #

That nacho dish looked yummy. In fact, I suddenly feel hungry – veggie soup in fridge is calling methinks…

15. Kelly January 13, 2013 at 10:25 pm #

i LIVE for french toast, i will have to get your recipe off you, because my attempts at home have always been really disappointing!