The Story of a Cat and his Pot

This is my mum’s cat, Ginge. (Ginge is short for Ginger. Terribly original, isn’t it?)

Ginge adopted my mum. Yes, you did read that right! Back when mum lived on a farm, he just turned up at the house one day. When he first appeared he was awfully timid. He’d creep into the laundy for food when he thought no one was looking, but as soon as he caught sight of anyone he’d run away as far as his little legs could carry him. This went on for months and months and we all assumed he was a wild, untamable thing. But then… He started running away less. Eventually he let mum pat him. Then he began spending more time inside. It took a long while but slowly he became more comfortable with other people too. Mum took him to the vet. He got more confident, even around strangers. Little by little we all gained his trust.

These days Ginge is the smoochiest, friendliest cat you ever could meet. He sleeps on the bed with mum, cuddles up to the dogs and spends a good portion of each day sitting in the flower pot you see above. That’s Ginge’s special pot. It did originally have a plant in it, but he soon claimed it as his own and squished the plant flat. The pot is perfectly cat-sized and positioned in the sunshine.

We believe Ginge is very old and think perhaps he was dumped in one of the farm sheds by someone who no longer wanted him. He was so terribly afraid of people when he first showed up, it’s likely someone was very unkind to him at some point. Happily, that’s all behind him now. Dear old Ginge will spend the rest of his days with my mum, snoozing contentedly in the sunshine by the back door. Just a cat and his pot.

Tags: , ,

Katie is a coffee-drinking, granny square-making, op-shopping daydreamer. Katie likes vintage dresses, Pictionary, doilies and colourful tights. Katie's raspberry baked cheesecake will rock your socks off.

24 Responses to “The Story of a Cat and his Pot”

1. Pam Sohan November 4, 2012 at 4:36 am #

What a cutie ! So far we have 4 cats that have adopted us. 1 girl cat and 3 boys ! The boys were all terribly shy when they first showed up. but now they are very loving cats. They love it when we are all outside on the back porch or out in the yard.

Katie November 4, 2012 at 9:44 am #

Wow, four! And what a kind hearted person you must be for taking them all in. Good on you, lovely Pam! xx

2. Caitlin November 4, 2012 at 5:08 am #

I love stories like this, and love when animals “choose” the human. I bet Ginge’s life improved dramatically upon finding your mother :)

3. sian November 4, 2012 at 5:33 am #

i love ginge and his pot!x

4. Dulce November 4, 2012 at 5:47 am #

oh sweet baby, i love him, he reminds me a lot to my dear Lauro, he used to love lay down and take his sun showers :)
    Glad that Ginge has a happy house now

5. Lesley November 4, 2012 at 6:03 am #

Aww that’s such a sweet story. He’s very lucky that he was left where he was and able to find your mom. I don’t know why people are so mean to pets. :(

Katie November 4, 2012 at 9:42 am #

I don’t know either Lesley. People treating animals badly is somthing I will never understand xx

6. Felicia November 4, 2012 at 6:05 am #

Aww how cute! He might have just been a feral cat in general, a cat born in the wild. Feral cats are afraid of humans and human contact in general. At our new home we used to have feral cats around here, not so much anymore.

Our kitten Shadow adopted us, he was a feral kitten that came to our window one night and kept showing up on our doorstep, since he was so little he was able to take our human contact, and he loves us, we love him. :) He sleeps inside at night and spends the entire day exploring our huge yard, runs up trees too, his favorite.

That is very cool your mom adopted him :) It is so nice to see animals happy!

Katie November 4, 2012 at 9:41 am #

Our Sebby was a feral kitten who adopted us too! I will have to share that story on the blog one day – it’s a good one! But we don’t think Ginge was a feral simply because he was so old when he found mum, it would be pretty unusual for a feral that age to be tamed. Whatever his story, we’re glad he found us! :)

7. Kasey November 4, 2012 at 6:43 am #

Awww adorable kitty <3

8. Chloe November 4, 2012 at 8:47 am #

Such a cute story! My cat has sat on and squashed many of my mum’s plants in the garden too haha!
    I don’t understand how people can ever be unkind to animals ;c

à la foliee

9. Sarah @ gladys in the garden November 4, 2012 at 9:58 am #

A lovely story with a happy ending.
    I expect that if we gave one of our cats, Charlie, a pot he’d do a Ginger as well. He already has chosen one part of the garden, right where I am trying to grow a rainbow chard. Amazingly this seedling is still surviving. He is such a Charlie.

10. Julie November 4, 2012 at 2:21 pm #

How have Sebby and Poppy settled in at your Mum’s place? On a sad note, remember when you posted about your childhood dog and I told you about my beautiful girl? We said goodbye to her in the small hours of this morning. She suffered a stroke, and at the age of 16, there wasn’t much hope for recovery or quality of life.
    I hope the move has gone well

Katie November 5, 2012 at 11:46 am #

Sebby and Poppy have settled in wonderfully! They have stayed here many times in the past so were already familiar with mum’s house and her pets, which has made it a fairly easy adjustment for them… But Julie, I am so, so sorry to hear about your Minnie! How terribly sad. Thinking of you and sending much love your way today xx

11. Evon November 4, 2012 at 2:52 pm #

OMG this cracks me up! My cat looooves sitting in the flower pots. Even the empty ones inside the house. He likes to sit inside those and watch everyone. He thinks he’s a ninja or something, lol

12. Nadine November 5, 2012 at 4:21 am #

What an adorable cat. Haha, and I just love the look on Ginge’s face – cats have the same look all over the world. :) Just a few minutes ago my cat Ruby sat on my couch (which is in Germany, btw) next to the heater and was wearing exactly the same look. I love cats to pieces. :)

Thanks for sharing the cute story!
    xoxo.

13. Sarah @ Chantille Fleur November 5, 2012 at 7:56 am #

What a dear little fellow! Thanks for sharing this story with us Katie :D
    Ginge really does look cute in his pot! xoxo

14. Miss Piggy November 5, 2012 at 9:12 am #

He’s gorgeous! Such a special thing to be adopted by a cat…I’m glad he has a loving home now.

15. Becky November 5, 2012 at 3:08 pm #

Aw! That post got me right here. (Thumps heart.) Seriously though, I am such a huge cat lover and this post made me feel joyously mushy inside.

16. katie November 6, 2012 at 1:01 am #

This is beyond adorable! Thanks for sharing with us. :)

17. Bastete1992 November 6, 2012 at 2:15 am #

Wow, so beautiful story, really amazing! Really touching! I would love to make illustration or comic for it, if I could have more time:)

18. heidi November 6, 2012 at 2:04 pm #

Ginger sounds awesome! And the pics in the flower pot are fantastic!

19. Maria @ Cheeky Pink Tulip November 6, 2012 at 10:35 pm #

What a sweet kitty cat he is! I don’t understand how people can be so cruel to sweet, helpless animals. I’ve always been a lifelong dog lover but we recently adopted a sweet little kitty cat (she too was abandoned by her owners and was found up in a tree being barked at by dogs) and I’ve never been more in love with an animal. She brings so much joy to our lives and I can’t remember what life was like before she arrived!

Maria xx

20. Lornna Olson November 10, 2012 at 7:13 am #

What a dear sweet story. You warm my heart Katie. This story reminds me of my mom
    -she loved cats and owned many but she still always had room for one or two more from the neighbourhood- they would just flock to her house.