Road Trip Thrifty Finds

While we were away we took every opportunity we had to pop into as many op-shops as possible (of course!) Unfortunately we did a lot of driving in the evenings and on weekends when op-shops were closed, so we passed many we were unable to visit, but we did get to stop at a few and we found a nice collection of treasures. My very favourite find is the little vintage quilt pictured above. I found it in an op-shop in Dorrigo for $3 and could hardly believe my luck! The camera doesn’t really do the prettiness of the vintage fabrics in it justice. It is truly lovely. I am also very chuffed with the set of vintage canisters, the teapot, the vintage sheets, the serving platters and the old craft books we found. Very chuffed indeed!

Have you found any thrifty treasures lately? I so enjoy hearing about people’s finds!

Tags: , , , , , ,

27 Responses to “Road Trip Thrifty Finds”

1. Allana November 30, 2012 at 6:16 pm #

fab-u-lous finds! Love the sweet quilt, those retro fabrics are perfection!

2. Sarah @ gladys in the garden November 30, 2012 at 7:06 pm #

Ooooh I love those sheets and cannisters. Great finds. I am positive my mother-in-law has a platter like that. Sounds like you had a wonderful trip.
    PS Thank you for your kind words re my dad x

3. Sarah @ Chantille Fleur November 30, 2012 at 8:16 pm #

That little quilt is so sweet, and for only $3! What a lucky find!
    My recent vintage purchase was a 1930’s typewriter in perfect working condition. All it needs is new ink ribbons, which are on their way in the post. I’ve wanted a typewriter for so long, so when I saw one advertised locally I knew I had to go look at it. It is perfect, and only cost me $50, which is a bargain! Plus I had to pay no postage. I feel very lucky!

Sarah xo

Katie December 1, 2012 at 10:09 am #

Oh, I LOVE old typewriters! What a score! I have a lovely turquoise one from the 60s. It’s one of my very favourite things :)

4. Meg November 30, 2012 at 9:50 pm #

Hi Katie, what excellent thrifty purchases you have made – love that quilt!! My family KK this year has to be second-hand or handmade, and so I checked out a couple of op shops today and scored some excellent items, including a 600mm pruning saw for $4, a copy of Betty Edwards New drawing on the right side of the brain for $2.50 and a brand-spanking copy of Your place or mine (by George C and Gary M) for $1! I love that we’re not adding to the bulk of ‘stuff’ that already exists.

Katie December 1, 2012 at 10:11 am #

I love that your family is doing a secondhand/handmade secret santa! What a fantastic idea. Great finds too! x

5. Amanda A December 1, 2012 at 1:15 am #

Katie! That quilt is amazing! Nice job, mama. I love, love, love it! (And, of course, the rest of your finds, too.)

6. domestickate December 1, 2012 at 4:25 am #

I just wanted to say that I happened upon your site while searching for “men who knit.” I love reading fellow simple-living blogs, and I look forward to reading more about your life. I love the photos!

Katie December 1, 2012 at 10:12 am #

Thank you ever so much Kate! We are so happy to have you here! xx

7. Felicia December 1, 2012 at 4:53 am #

That quilt is BEAUTIFUL!! great find! Love all the other finds as well, I love thrifting!

8. lisa December 1, 2012 at 7:35 am #

Wow- that quilt is amazing and so cheap too! Thrifting something like that is high on my list! I recently blogged about one of my favorite scores- a hanging egg chair for the patio. So in love with it :) These are all great finds!

Katie December 1, 2012 at 10:12 am #

I LOVE those hanging egg chairs! Oh, I’m jealous… ;)

9. Teresa December 1, 2012 at 8:57 am #

Fantastic finds! Road trips always seems to bring the best thrift finds. :)

I adore the little Johnson teapot and the carrot platter is amazing!

10. Rita@thissortaoldlife December 1, 2012 at 9:17 am #

If the camera isn’t doing the quilt justice, it must be an amazing piece–because it looks wonderful on my screen! And I love that tray with the rooster. I recently found some wonderful (well, to me, anyway) thrift store art. You can see it here: http://www.thissortaoldlife.com/2012/11/25/a-cornucopia-of-thrift-store-art/

Katie December 1, 2012 at 10:22 am #

Oh my goodness, what a treasure trove! Thank you for sharing Rita :)

11. rhonda jean December 1, 2012 at 9:53 am #

Katie, I’m old enough to remember all these things the first time around. They’ll all fit nicely into your new home. My favourite op shop find was a 1922 US first edition of James Joyce’s Ulysses – my favourite book. I still have it.

12. Christina December 1, 2012 at 2:43 pm #

Perfect souvenirs from your journey! I have a few large old crochet blankets that are probably among my favourite ever op-shop finds. :)

13. Marie-Josée December 2, 2012 at 12:11 pm #

I have been going to thrift stores regularly for about two years now, and at some point I was going 2 to 3 times a week… a little too much! Two of my recent purchases are “old” books (1993, 1949). The main reason why I bought them is because of their beautiful “covers” (is it the right word?), either made of textile or just magnificently designed/painted. I might never read the story, and the pictures and content might be old, but I love them, and they surely look good in my apartment. I think I might write about those finds too in a next post! Thanks for the idea!

14. Marie-Josée December 2, 2012 at 12:12 pm #

Oh, and I love the quilt too! It would be great to know about its history!

15. This Meg December 3, 2012 at 11:59 am #

Oh what wonderful finds! I especially love the tea pot and the serving plate with the rooster on it.

We’re doing a similar road trip over Christmas — I hope you’ve left some awesome vintage finds for me!

16. Marcelle December 4, 2012 at 2:17 am #

I just recently stumbled upon your blog and I love it!
    We like a lot of the same things, so I’ll be following you from now on..

My recent op-shop-finds: A crochet plaid in white for just 5 euro’s (SO lucky!) done in a lovely star-pattern, 2 good quality 70’s coffeemugs with lovely colors for 0,50 cents a piece, an old wooden music box that plays Santa Maria (and in the box I found a set of very old and beautiful tarotcards..surprise!) an embroidered bird for just 0,10 cents and an oval black photoframe (0,50 cents).
    A day of treasures :-)

17. Kate December 4, 2012 at 9:26 pm #

I have that same patchwork and applique book! It was my Nanna’s. That quilt is gorgeous!

18. Heather December 5, 2012 at 12:18 am #

lovely treasures! the quilt looks like a happy quilt. Love the cannisters and of course lovely sheets. I haven’t been out hunting for a while, always on the look out for lovely material! Heather x

19. Lucinda December 5, 2012 at 2:22 pm #

Very cute!

20. Bekuh December 7, 2012 at 1:50 am #

Such pretty objects. That quilt is really amazing, and I can’t believe how inexpensive it was!! You have a knack for uncovering treasures.

21. Kelly January 13, 2013 at 10:28 pm #

wow! that quilt! amazing.

22. Louessence February 13, 2013 at 4:16 pm #

You have a nack at great finds!!! They are fantastic :)
    Today I found a vintage flour sifter for 50 cents. It has bright yellow and orange flowers splashed over a cream background with no rust – the modern ones I’ve bought turn rusty in a matter of months and look so boring all silver and sterile lol. Can’t wait to use it! Love your blog :)