A Happy Diversion

One of my favourite things about roadtrips is the potential for unexpected discoveries and unplanned adventures. I love having the freedom to stop and explore where ever our whims (or a wrong turn!) might carry us. We made a last minute diversion on the way home from Belligen. We were planning to stop at Sydney but about an hour from our destination we decided we just couldn’t face the city. After a couple of weeks solid visiting people, this pair of introverts was seriously tired and cranky! So instead of going to Sydney as we originally planned, we turned off towards the Blue Mountains. We spent a night in an old motel just out of the mountains, picked up fresh croissants and coffee for breakfast, then drove home through the rolling countryside the next day. Though we’re really disappointed we didn’t get to see our Sydney people, I’m glad we followed our hearts and headed for the hills. We were so frazzled, we wouldn’t have been much fun to spent time with (and it gives us an excuse for another roadtrip up to Sydney soon!) Plus, on the way home we stumbled across the charming little town of Carcoar. Carcoar is the third oldest settlement west of the the Blue Mountains and is seeped in history. We had a peachy time poking about in the antique stores and wandering about all the beautiful old buldings. Oh, how I love quaint little historical towns!

Have you ever stumbled across a little gem like Carcoar? I’d love to hear about your roadtripping adventures!

Tags: , ,

11 Responses to “A Happy Diversion”

1. Chestnut Mocha November 28, 2012 at 9:52 am #

summer… roadtrips… so perfect! we are trying to plan a big roadtrip for the next summer, too!

Katie November 29, 2012 at 12:05 am #

Summer roadtrips are the BEST! I would quite like to make them an annual tradition! :)

2. Sarah @ Chantille Fleur November 28, 2012 at 10:51 am #

What a beautiful little town! I love reading/seeing your travelling adventures!

Sarah xox

Katie November 29, 2012 at 12:05 am #

Oh, thank you Sarah! I’ve really loved sharing them! x

3. robbie November 28, 2012 at 2:21 pm #

what a magical little town!

Katie November 29, 2012 at 12:07 am #

It was so cute, I just wanted to pop in my pocket and bring it home with me! Hehe ;)

4. wishful nals November 29, 2012 at 4:47 am #

oh, i couldn’t agree more! the unplanned adventures always yield the best results. when i was in costa rica this summer, we rented a car (which seemed easy enough) but 8 hours on an unknown path, we’d seen most of the country! we got so lost but met so many kind strangers in the midst of it and saw some of the most beautiful vistas that would have remained unseen otherwise. i love your beautiful photos – looks like a wonderful stop!

Katie November 30, 2012 at 10:18 am #

Wow, that sounds like an incredible adventure! I really can’t wait to travel overseas…

5. Trish November 30, 2012 at 7:06 am #

I adore uncharted road trips!!! I’ve always wanted to stumble upon a ghost town….. someday. :)
    Looks like a grand time!
    Trish

6. Ruby November 30, 2012 at 1:08 pm #

I’ve stumbled upon Carcoar itself! Seriously considered buying a property that looked down that very creek bed. A lovely town.

7. Kelly January 13, 2013 at 10:29 pm #

its a shame you decided to detour from sydney! its not all bad here you know. :)