Recent Thrifty Finds

It’s been a while since we last shared some of our thrifty finds, so today I thought I’d give you a peek some our favourite discoveries from recent weeks.

I’ve been searching everywhere we go for vintage mugs as I’m slowly trying to replace our cheap, unattractive mugs (aquired as secret santa presents and the like) with cute vintage ones. The little green mug on the far left is my favourite – the print on it reminds me of one of Orla Kiely’s lovely designs.

Reuben bought me a second vintage sifter! I found my first one at the local flea markets, then saw this one in the same spot just a couple of months later. I was going to resist buying it but I turned my back for all of 5 seconds and Reubs had bought for me. I know, he’s a keeper!

Isn’t this little sewing basket just the cutest? It was $2. I have a nice big sewing basket that was a gift from a lovely lady I work with, but I think having a second smaller basket will be handy for travelling with. I quite often like to take crafty things with me when we visit my mum and it’ll be good to have a little basket to take, rather than just chucking stuff in a calico tote bag like I do now.

As I’ve mentioned many times, I love vintage canisters and love yellow. Knowing this, one of our friends spotted this lovely set at the markets and pointed them out to me. Obviously they had to come home with us!

Much like when I found my beloved deer cross stitch, I actually squealed out loud when I stumbled across this Daisy cookie jar in an op-shop. I adore that mustardy colour, I’m obsessed with all things floral and I’m crazy about cute storage jars and canisters, so this pretty little thing is a trifecta for me! It now sits in among my salt and pepper shakers and other precious things, and whenever I walk by it I feel a little bit happier just knowing that it’s mine.

A vintage knitting pattern file with cats on it for 50c? Sold!

Reuben is the book guy. Whenever we visit an op-shop I head straight for the racks of floral linens and doilies and Reuben makes a beeline for the book section. Because he’s such a good egg, he always keeps an eye out for books he thinks I’ll like too. This cute pair of sewing and knitting books are some of the latest to join our overcrowded bookshelves.

Have you found anything marvellous lately? I’d love to hear all about your discoveries!

Tags: , , , ,

Katie is a coffee-drinking, granny square-making, op-shopping daydreamer. Katie likes vintage dresses, Pictionary, doilies and colourful tights. Katie's raspberry baked cheesecake will rock your socks off.

46 Responses to “Recent Thrifty Finds”

1. noknittedknickers September 7, 2012 at 6:46 pm #

Oh my! Great haul. Love the green mug too. And why don’t they make cookie jars like that anymore?

Katie September 7, 2012 at 11:02 pm #

They don’t make anything like they used to! ;) Oh, I love mid-century style.

• MamaNispero September 8, 2012 at 4:36 am #

Me toooooooo!!!!

Thats so lovely and inspired!!!

Love From Valencia – Spain

2. Sarah @ gladys in the garden September 7, 2012 at 7:02 pm #

The green mug is also my favourite. I’d so love to find a vintage sewing basket like that. Fantastic finds. :)

Katie September 7, 2012 at 11:12 pm #

I’ve coveted a few lovely old sewing baskets in vintage shops and at antique fairs, but this is the first one I’ve ever found at an op-shop. And it was so cheap! I am very chuffed with it.

3. Allana September 7, 2012 at 7:14 pm #

Great finds – love that moment when you see something you just have to have and feel like you are the luckiest person alive (for a few minutes hehe)
    i have a few mugs with your name on them that are sitting in a box to be donated… wanna send me your addy and I’ll get them to you? :)

Katie September 7, 2012 at 11:14 pm #

Oh yes, that is truly the BEST, most exciting feeling! And thank you so much Allana, I will email you! x

• allana September 12, 2012 at 8:46 pm #

Just popped by to see if you had responded and you have :) just in case you cant access my email: a_beamishparker(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)au :)

4. deerdonna September 7, 2012 at 7:17 pm #

oooh we have the matching plate to that flower pot!

see….

Katie September 7, 2012 at 11:14 pm #

Oh Donna, I am so jealous! I want that plate! :)

5. Kimberly September 7, 2012 at 7:53 pm #

Amazing finds! I love the mug idea – may have to borrow that. We’re slowly replacing our potentially bpa-filled drinking cups with glass mason jars of all sizes.

Katie September 7, 2012 at 11:26 pm #

Replacing your plastic cups with glass is a great idea. And you can use your mason jars for storage too, which makes them multipurpose as well as BPA free and pretty! :)

6. Jessica September 7, 2012 at 8:02 pm #

I want that sifter! Reminds me of the one my nanna used to have x

Katie September 7, 2012 at 11:29 pm #

See, that’s what I love about old things! They have nostalgia and memories attached to them, which make them so much more special than anything new <3

7. Helen September 7, 2012 at 8:34 pm #

That sifter! My mum had one just like it

Katie September 7, 2012 at 11:30 pm #

Your mum obviously had fantastic taste Helen! ;)

8. Joanna September 7, 2012 at 8:48 pm #

I am loving the knitting pattern folder! The cats are awesome!

Katie September 7, 2012 at 11:27 pm #

Aren’t they just?! So cute! :)

9. Kelsey Elizabeth September 7, 2012 at 9:55 pm #

I a really neat vintage atlas and coffee table book filled with nasa photographs from the sixties, the book section won me over!

Katie September 7, 2012 at 11:21 pm #

They both sound beautiful Kelsey! I have a thing for old Atlases. When I was little I had an atlas and one of my favourite games was for my dad to say a place name and for me to look it up and find it as quickly as possible. (I may have been a little bit of a nerd.) ;)

10. katie September 8, 2012 at 12:18 am #

Everything looks so cozy and lovely! It’s fun to see vintage items being given new life by someone who loves them. I especially like your coffee mug collection!

11. Felicia September 8, 2012 at 1:12 am #

Oh wow Katie! I love everything you found, so great! Especially the mugs, sifter, basket and canisters! :) I haven’t been thrifting in awhile. You’ve inspired me to go this weekend!

12. Anne September 8, 2012 at 2:17 am #

I have the exact Daisy cookie jar! Daisies are my weakness, I found it at a garage sale here in San Francisco and paid $12 US which is insanely expensive but there was NO WAY I could resist. I have a bunch of daisies tattooed on my arm. :)

Katie September 8, 2012 at 10:09 pm #

Oh, we’re cookie jar twins! I think I paid about $10 for it so not a whole lot cheaper than you got yours. And I love Daisies too! So much so our dog is named Daisy :)

13. The Joyful Thrifter September 8, 2012 at 2:34 am #

I always enjoy your thrifty finds. Thank you for sharing! The mugs must be my favorite of your finds though. I have been informed by Mr Joyful Thrifter that I probably should hold off on buying more mugs since our cabinets are bulging with them, but they are hard for me to resist.

Smiles,
    The Joyful Thrifter

14. Shirley September 8, 2012 at 4:03 am #

I love your beautiful finds, especially that sifter, it is gorgeous!! The charity shops here in Ireland have beautiful clothes and books, but less bric a brac and linen and these are usually very expensive, not often I get a bargain. But when I do, I’m in heaven and cannot wait to get home and unwrap and wash or dust off my treasures and often wonder who loved them before and how they ended up in charity shops or flea markets; I love the memories they in turn give me.

15. Jane @ Shady Baker September 8, 2012 at 7:47 am #

So many cool things Katie…I especially love the sifter and the daisy cookie jar. Great work! Love your photos as always, happy weekend x

16. Cherry September 8, 2012 at 8:54 am #

I love your beautiful finds (and your lovely blog) Are there many good secondhand shops and markets in bendigo? I have been meaning to make a little trip there some time soon.
    Thanks for all the lovely inspiration!

Katie September 8, 2012 at 10:01 pm #

There are lots of op-shops in Bendigo! And there is a flea market on every Sunday morning at the Showgrounds. Sometimes there is just lots of junk there but other times it’s great – just depends on the day! There are plenty of lovely places you can go for lunch in Bendigo too. It’s a great spot for a day trip! :)

17. Teresa September 8, 2012 at 9:29 am #

Great finds! That little green cup is very Orla like and I love the little sewing basket too. They’re so hard to find in decent condition.

18. Louise September 8, 2012 at 9:35 am #

Great finds. What a cheerful set of treasures you have.
    Now about that sewing basket … The catch is missing a part.
    First there is the loop. Good.
    Then there is the bit that hooks down over the loop. Good.
    Then, alas and alack, there should be another bit to pass through the loop to prevent the closed hook from sliding off. It should be attached beside the loop to the body of the basket.This bit is missing. That is most probably the reason someone discarded this basket.
    Aaaagh. All is not lost. Get a stick or dowel or thingo and attach it to become the new locking device. Or you could find a bit of cane and bend it to make a new locking pin. If you look at some old picnic baskets or creels you will get a better idea.
    Fixing this will not be hard.

Katie September 8, 2012 at 10:06 pm #

Yes, I realised part of the latch was missing but I’m not really worried. Aside from the latch it is an absolutely perfect condition and I doubt I’ll ever really need to do it up anyway! :)

19. Sarah @ Chantille Fleur September 8, 2012 at 11:07 am #

Lots of lovely little things you have there! I love the sewing basket, it is so cute! And that sifter if just adorable – I want it! lol. How nice of Reuben to have bought it for you :)
    Sarah xo

20. chantilly September 9, 2012 at 4:42 am #

those are some of the prettiest mugs i’ve ever seen :) i love the basket as well! x

21. Sarah Joy September 9, 2012 at 2:36 pm #

Those mugs are just gorgeous. I am slowly building up a collection of vintage tea cups, and my purchases so far resemble some of those mugs.

22. Neen September 9, 2012 at 5:39 pm #

I LUUUUURVE a good op shop find. My most recent find was an old bottle for $1 that I had seen in a lovely little coffee place recently and I had a ‘must find’ moment. There she was waiting for me at ‘the salvos’. Unfortunately in this mornings spring clean I filled her with a little boiling water and ……..yep cracked the glass….. :( She is still on display with the crack at the back and NO-ONE touch this instructions.
    Your mug collection reminds me of having a cuppa break at tennis on Saturdays in the tiny country towns of NE Victoria, with of course ham and pickle sandwiches, plus yummy sponge cake…..aaaah the memories xx Neen

Katie September 13, 2012 at 5:20 pm #

Oh, that is such a shame Neen! I am quite obsessed with old bottles so I really feel your pain. I’m sure it’s still beautiful though!

23. Hopskipandjump September 9, 2012 at 8:19 pm #

Fantastic finds! I adore vintage shopping too, love the smell of old objects and wondering about the people that used to own it. My mugs are very similar to yours too

24. Fenn September 10, 2012 at 3:15 am #

Hi Katie and Reuben!

I’ve been lingering on your blog for rather a long time now and i’ve finally plucked up the courage to comment. I have a confession to make; I’ve been a blogger for about 2 years, but I lost the enthusiasm. Your blog has refreshed and reinvigorated the desire I have to blog and celebrate the things I love – mainly because I realised we are very very similar people and I can see the passion you have through your blog. (What im trying to say is THANK YOU for inspiring me to start a new blog) As an actual thank you, I’ve posted your button on the side of my blog too.

Your thrifty finds are GORGEOUS, especially love the green and blue cups! I too a a Secondhand Siren ;)

Fenn x

Katie September 10, 2012 at 10:43 am #

Oh, you are so nice Fenn! Thank you very, very much. And we are THRILLED to hear we’ve inspired you to start a new blog! Popping over to visit you there now :)

25. kat September 11, 2012 at 1:33 pm #

absolutely love these!!

Would love to have a run down of all the op shops you frequent in bendigo – have you done this already? If not your bendigo trail would be delightful! x

Katie September 13, 2012 at 5:18 pm #

No, we haven’t done that but it’s a great idea! We’ve been thinking of writing some posts about our favourite spots around Bendigo so we’ll definitely keep an op-shop trail in mind! :)

26. Cara-Mia September 12, 2012 at 8:52 am #

Great finds! I’m a sucker for vintage mugs. :)

27. ginanorma September 13, 2012 at 2:50 am #

hi katie! I have that same daisy sugar canister, i love it, isn’t the sweetest?!

i have found myself not stopping by popular blogs lately, mainly because i know
    you are too busy to connect with everyone–but then i find myself humbled, and
    remember that that is not love. love does not keep score, or think about what it wants
    in return. so here i am, admiring and appreciating your precious space here. i just love it.

xo

Katie September 13, 2012 at 5:16 pm #

Hi Gina! Thanks so much for stopping by! We try really, really hard to respond to the comments left here, reply to all emails/tweets/facebook messages and stop by the blogs of the lovely people who visit here as much as possible, but I am the first to admit we don’t always succeed! Sadly there just aren’t enough hours in the day. Please know we do SO appreciate each and every person who reads our blog. Not a days goes by when we don’t feel grateful! x

28. Miss Piggy September 14, 2012 at 10:53 am #

That cookie jar is ADORABLE! I love finding stuff like this too at op shops – but we’ve litereally run out of room in our flat to put them all in. And those coffee cups – I remember them from my childhood – oh the 70s, the memories!