Little Traditions

These pictures were taken on a recent brunch date. In the last few months brunch has become a bit of a tradition with Reubs and I. Whenever we get a weekday off together, brunch is on the agenda!

Isn’t it funny how traditions evolve? The best ones just sort of just happen on their own. You go out for a nice brunch once or twice and then before you know it, a day off just doesn’t feel right without it. Reuben and I have been together for almost eight years now, and in that time we’ve created lots of little traditions together. Our current rituals include starting our days off with homemade lattes with cute pictures drawn on top, going to the makets each Sunday and listening to the The Weepies when we drive to my Mum’s house. While many small traditions like these come and go, fading as we enter a new chapter of our lives, other traditions last forever. Like having a picnic with our friends on Easter Sunday or watching The Santa Clause on Chistmas Eve (two traditions we’ve kept for years now). I so love these little rituals and I can’t quite imagine life without them. As our lives progress our traditions offer a reminder of all that has already been. They are a thread of constance and nostalgia throughout a lifetime of change. I think that’s lovely.

I’d love to hear about some of your traditions. Big or small. Won’t you please tell me about them?

Tags: , , , ,

Katie is a coffee-drinking, granny square-making, op-shopping daydreamer. Katie likes vintage dresses, Pictionary, doilies and colourful tights. Katie's raspberry baked cheesecake will rock your socks off.

39 Responses to “Little Traditions”

1. Lou September 10, 2012 at 6:42 pm #

My boyfriend and I always get lunch together whenever we are both working in the city. It’s not something that happens often, but a ritual of sorts non the less.
    We both recently realised that rituals like this were our most favourite time to spend together. It’s nice after four years that it’s the simple things that are the most important!

Lou x

Katie September 11, 2012 at 9:57 am #

Our little rituals are our favourite times together too! Lunch is good one. When Reuben and I first met I was working part time at a doughnut shop while at studying at uni and he used to come and meet me on my lunch breaks and we’d get sushi together. To this day I can’t eat sushi without thinking of those times :)

2. Lyndall September 10, 2012 at 7:10 pm #

All those brunch dishes look so yummy! We have a tradition of going out for breakfast/brunch whenever we can, and we love finding new places to try. I grew up in a family that rarely went out to eat (I think my dad just loved my mum’s cooking more than anything else, hehe) so I feel really fancy going out to breakfast or dinner!

Katie September 11, 2012 at 10:01 am #

We never went out to eat when I was a kid either. Because we lived on a farm everything was just too far away. We occasionally went out for Chinese and it was the biggest, most exciting treat ever! x

3. Sarah Joy September 10, 2012 at 7:35 pm #

Oh, I love the Old Green Bean!

My husband and I enjoy going out for brunch as well…it’s a cruisey, calm start to the weekend. Having said that, I really value the time we spend together over a cup of tea after work on weekdays, once we both get home. It’s best way to share your day!

Katie September 11, 2012 at 10:02 am #

YES to the Old Green Bean!! Their coffees and nachos are the best in the universe! :)

4. Hopskipandjump September 10, 2012 at 8:16 pm #

the white cardigan with the flowers! Ah I love it, and the dress too!

Katie September 11, 2012 at 10:07 am #

Thank you! I got it on sale on Asos about a year ago and it’s one of my absolute favourites! x

5. Jane @ Shady Baker September 10, 2012 at 8:57 pm #

So much colour, love and fun in your photos Katie! My son (3) and I have a coffee/hot chocolate and share a plate of raisin toast at our favourite cafe most Fridays. It is a lovely little moment to share in our busy schedule and something that will be more difficult to do once he starts school. Family traditions are great. xx

Katie September 11, 2012 at 10:05 am #

That is so cute Jane! And your son is so lucky! I would have LOVED to have a tradition like that with my mama when I was little (or now really) ;)

6. katie September 10, 2012 at 11:16 pm #

I found this wonderful little bagel shop and every Saturday morning, I’ll get up early and sneak down there before the crowds settle in. It feels so special to get in there before everyone else is even awake. :)

Katie September 11, 2012 at 10:09 am #

Gosh, that sounds good Katie! I wish I was better at getting up early. I love the peace and quiet of the morning but I’m so NOT a morning person… I need to work on that.

7. Milynn September 10, 2012 at 11:20 pm #

I love this post, Katie. you both are such an inspiration! I love your traditions (and those cute drawings on the lattes that I wish I could do!).

My boyfriend and I are in a long distance relationship so it’s hard for us to have an ongoing tradition. But when we do get together on the weekends when we can, we always do Sunday brunch too! We also send each other video text messages late at night for something sweet to wake up to in the morning.

Katie September 11, 2012 at 10:15 am #

Oh, thank you very much Milynn! You are so nice! And I realy admire you for making a long distance relationship work. I think I’d find it very, very hard. I LOVE that you send each other video text messages! So cute. (And hurrah for modern technology!) x

8. Haylz September 10, 2012 at 11:31 pm #

Holy crap those nachos look delicious.

Katie September 11, 2012 at 10:16 am #

I hate to rub it in but, THEY WERE ;)

9. AmyS September 11, 2012 at 12:41 am #

We have lots of silly random ones – I make treats on the first day of school so there is a great snack waiting for when the kids get home to tell me about all the their new friends and adventures. We go Christmas light looking on Christmas Eve in our pjs and when we get home, my husband reads “The Night Before Christmas” to everyone while we have cocoa. This past year, we started a new tradition for Thanksgiving – we cook our big meal on the Wednesday before and then on Thanksgiving day, we go to Walt Disney World and enjoy our day together.

Katie September 11, 2012 at 10:18 am #

They are all lovely traditions Amy! I used to love going to look at all the Christmas lights with my dad – one of my very favourite memories :)

10. MoMo September 11, 2012 at 1:12 am #

My boyfriend and I are very similar with the brunch theme over the weekends. On Saturdays though we tend to always go the the same Mexican restaurant. It’s basically become of “Cheers” spot on Saturday afternoons and if we don’t go something during the week feels “off.

Katie September 11, 2012 at 10:20 am #

Brunch followed by saturday afternoon Mexican food sounds pretty good to me! :)

11. Meredith September 11, 2012 at 1:13 am #

Brunch is such a lovely tradition! I love seeing your cute latte designs on Instagram. :)

One of my favorite traditions is baking sugar cookies and on Christmas Eve. We also open one gift one the night before Christmas and it is always pajamas. Traditions like that always give me a feeling of comfort. I hope they last forever. :)

Katie September 11, 2012 at 10:23 am #

Oh I love new pajamas! Wearing new PJs for the first time is one of my favourite things in the world! (I know, that’s probably really weird, but it’s true!) Your Christmas Eves sound wonderful <3

12. Kayla September 11, 2012 at 2:17 am #

Oh man, those nachos look *incredible.* Pardon me while I wipe the drool off my keyboard… just so I can google “best nachos San Francisco.”

Katie September 11, 2012 at 10:25 am #

They are seriously the best nachos I have ever had. I could very happily eat them every single day of my life! :)

13. eliza September 11, 2012 at 4:43 am #

around halloween every year, we have a movie night, invite friends over, and we have a double feature: some oldie (creature from the black lagoon, nosferatu, etc), and hocus pocus!

Katie September 11, 2012 at 10:30 am #

Oh, that sounds like so much fun! I love Hocus Pocus! It is the one and only movie I ever saw at a Drive-In Cinema, before they all closed down. I wish there more Drive-Ins left!

14. Rita@thissortaoldlife September 11, 2012 at 7:06 am #

Hi Katie–I know you and Reuben are in a very different stage of life from me (so fun for me to visit an earlier time vicariously), but a tradition that I just celebrated (imperfectly) is taking a picture of my kids on the first day of school. Had a great reminder that traditions shift and evolve as circumstances do, just as you wrote.

Katie September 11, 2012 at 10:32 am #

Oh Rita, I remember the old first day of school photos! They are a great tradition and one one that, if Reuben and I ever have children, I will proudly carry on ;) Thanks so much for sharing! x

15. Teresa September 11, 2012 at 8:13 am #

There is something lovely and heartwarming about traditions. One of my favourite family ones is wearing the daggy paper crowns you get in bonbons on Xmas day. :)

You too always have such tasty looking brunches! And I adore your cardi Katie. So cute!

Katie September 11, 2012 at 10:33 am #

You HAVE to wear the paper hats! It simply isn’t Christmas without the paper hats! ;)

16. Sarah @ Chantille Fleur September 11, 2012 at 9:37 am #

That brunch looks so yummy! I love traditions, and think it is always so nice if they last effortlessly.
    Sarah <3

PS Love your cardigan, it's so pretty!

Katie September 11, 2012 at 10:34 am #

Thank you Sarah! x

17. donna goat September 11, 2012 at 12:14 pm #

we definitely have a market tradition, and a thai food tradition… hehe

we also like to buy sushi on a saturday for lunch!

:D

p.s. here is our new blog… deer donna is gone… welcome goat + wolf… we are both blogging now! :D

18. Jennifer September 11, 2012 at 12:31 pm #

The only tradition I’ve held onto over the years is watching The Nightmare Before Christmas on Christmas eve. Which this year will be even more exciting when we deck out our Christmas tree with Nightmare Before Christmas ornaments and watch it with our little girl who can comprehend it a bit more now as she will be 4 days shy of 2 years old at that point :)

x Jennifer.

19. Suzanne September 11, 2012 at 6:04 pm #

I’m trying to think of my traditions, if I have any, and there are only two that I can come up with:

Small bottle of Hopes Portello on the drive home from visiting the family
    And It’s A Wonderful Life on Christmas Eve.

Isn’t it funny how movie watching is a tradition for so many people at Christmas time :)

20. Kristen September 12, 2012 at 2:11 am #

I love traditions! Most of my traditions revolve around Christmas and going back home. We always have fondue (chocolate and cheese) on Christmas eve. It wouldnt be the same without a late evening sitting around the dining room table, dipping fruit and breads!

21. ginanorma September 13, 2012 at 2:46 am #

I adore that tradition and what a precious spot you were at:)

and I need that sweater you are wearing!!! I rarely see ones like that
    around:-)

22. Stitchybritt September 15, 2012 at 8:43 am #

I love traditions too. Does having cheese and crackers on a Sunday afternoon count? : )

On Christmas Day we listen to my Grandpa’s recordings (he was a Country & Western star, now deceased).

When it’s the end of tomato season I buy in bulk and make passata.

I always make stock with the bones of a roast chicken.

When I lived in Melbourne, I always went out for a parmigiana the night before travelling everwhere else (because they don’t make decent parmas anywhere else*, and I needed to get my fix).

*I haven’t actually had a parma in every part of the world, I’m sure they make a good one in Italy

23. Laura September 20, 2012 at 9:30 am #

The boyfriend & I have a roast for dinner every Sunday night. It started when we bought a toaster oven large enough to fit a roast in (our proper oven is broken, & we’re not replacing it until we re-do the kitchen). Now Sundays aren’t complete without a delicious smelling kitchen all afternoon, then meat & veggies while we watch a movie.