Fruit Blossoms and Spring Cleaning

Spring has sprung and it feels so good! Little by little, the days are getting longer and warmer, little seedlings are pushing their way through the earth and we are creeping out of hibernation. The trees are absolutely bursting with gorgeous spring blossoms now. It makes me so happy! I like the cold and the quieter months of winter, but this year I don’t think I could have taken another moment of it. I was so ready for fresh flowers and sunshine! And it’s extra special experiencing this gorgeous season in Victoria. Though we were here for spring last year, we were so caught up with the busyness of moving and settling in we didn’t have much of a chance to take it all in. This year we are soaking up every moment. The seasons here are so much more distinct than they ever were in New South Wales or Queensland. It’s just beautiful.

In honour of the new season and fresh beginnings, we’ve been busy spring cleaning and decluttering. We had been searching for a new place to rent but we’ve not had much luck and we’ve decided, at least for a little while, to stay put. It seems now is just not the right time to move. So rather than lamenting our little shack’s (many) flaws, we are pouring our energy into making the most of this higgledy piggledy space. We’ve bought some new shelving for our second bedroom/craft room and we are finally getting it organised. We’ve thrown out lots of junk and donated some things we no longer need or love. We’ll probably take a couple of boxes of stuff we want to keep, but don’t really use, over to store in my mum’s shed too. Our house is so tiny and lacking in storage, we have to be really careful about what we keep. As well as cleaning up, I’ve ordered a couple of little things to freshen the place up. I think a new rug here and a bright quilt there can make a world of difference, don’t you?

Oh, this dear old house. It’s not much, but it’s home!

I hope everything is sunshiney in your world right now. Don’t forget to stop and savour the season. These spring blossoms (or autumn leaves as it may be for you) don’t last long.

Tags: , ,

29 Responses to “Fruit Blossoms and Spring Cleaning”

1. Lou September 12, 2012 at 7:06 pm #

I understand how frustrating lack of storage is! Our new house has – ready for it – ONE cupboard haha! And that is it. It has been a nightmare to say the least.

But spring certainly does make everything worthwhile ;)

Lou x

Katie September 13, 2012 at 5:26 pm #

Our house has NO cupboards (excluding the tiny, old kitchen cabinets!) so I feel your pain Lou! I don’t care to admit how often I catch myself daydreaming about built in waldrobes and linen closets… Haha! :)

2. Hopskipandjump September 12, 2012 at 7:52 pm #

Beautiful photos as always, I love Victoria in the springtime

3. Penny Peberdy September 12, 2012 at 9:46 pm #

So lovely to see signs of Spring when we are just edging into winter here…

4. Sharon @ Funken Wagnel September 12, 2012 at 10:35 pm #

I adore this time of year. All the beautiful blossoms. We also did a tree change two and a half years ago, but we’ve just moved to a different country town! So we’re unpacking still, cleaning, and like you, trying to get rid of stuff! Which is weird because we did that right before we left as well.

Katie September 13, 2012 at 5:30 pm #

I always find we throw stuff out right before we move but then find more to chuck out once we are unpacking too. Why is that?! I can’t believe how much stuff Reubs and I have managed to accumulate in just one year. When we moved here last year we only brought with us what would fit on the back of a ute and a tiny trailer, yet we now have a house full of stuff! :)

5. Heidi September 12, 2012 at 10:59 pm #

I don’t think I could have taken much more of winter either, as much as I loved it! Spring brings with it a fresh bout of inspiration I find, something which I really needed more than ever these last few weeks.

Here’s to many lovely spring adventures ahead! xo.

Katie September 13, 2012 at 5:31 pm #

Oh I desperately needed that Springy motivation too Heidi! And I think it’s working! I have plans for lots of exciting things in the coming months ;)

6. Milynn September 12, 2012 at 11:09 pm #

So pretty! I feel like I do spring cleaning every weekend! It seems like I clean up every weekend just so I can make a mess again. But having things organized and cleaned out is always a good feeling isn’t it?

7. Fenn September 13, 2012 at 5:34 am #

Your photos are beautiful! :) It’s just about to turn to Autumn here and I really can’t wait. Get all the clothes that are squished in the attic down, de-fluff the patterned thick jumpers and dust down my brown boots! EXCITED :)

Spring seems so long ago, I bet it’s gorgeous in Victoria!

As for your small ‘shack’, a house can be a wonderful home even if it’s teeny tiny. I think i’d rather have a smaller house because everything feels so much cosier and quaint. I’d definitely like to have a good snoop around your’s, I imagine its full of intriguing and personal trinkets :)

Fenn x

Katie September 13, 2012 at 5:36 pm #

Yes, I actually like small spaces too! It’s more the fact this house is run down (and lacking in storage) that is the problem… But even those things are pretty minor complaints in the scheme of things! We are ok :)

8. Louise September 13, 2012 at 7:20 am #

Think of your house and charming, quaint, and character-filled. No house is perfect. Life is never perfect.
    Why not learn to make some simple patchwork quilts. Cut squares. Sew them together. Make a sandwich of the new bit, an old blanket, and a sheet. Sew them together. Add a trim around the edges. Keep it simple. Cosy. Cottage-ish. Filled with love and personal effort. There are many clips on YouTube to teach everything.

Katie September 13, 2012 at 5:39 pm #

Yes, I would love to start making some simple quilts! That’s actually been on my to do list for quite some time (along with a million other things!) I’ll get there eventually :)

9. Robbie September 13, 2012 at 9:45 am #

It’s just turning into sock season here! I couldn’t be happier:)

Katie September 13, 2012 at 5:39 pm #

Enjoy it Robbie! Autumn is magical x

10. Ellie September 13, 2012 at 9:46 am #

Even though I love autumn, and it’s almost here, I’m a tad envious that you’re getting into spring. Enjoy the blossoms!

11. Lyndall September 13, 2012 at 10:12 am #

I love this time of year! Seeing all the blossoms makes me very happy.

Good luck with your spring cleaning! We are yet to live in a house that has cupboards so we’ve learned to be very creative with storage solutions. Mostly with lots of Ikea shelves, hehe!

Katie September 13, 2012 at 5:44 pm #

Shelves are so good! We are aquiring quite a collection ourselves. I wanted to get Expedit shelves from Ikea but that would require a trip to Melburne, so I was super happy to find similar ones (for $100 cheaper!) at Office Works last week! We bought two, with plans to get a third in the near future :)

12. Teresa September 13, 2012 at 12:46 pm #

Beautiful photos! I love this time of year too. So perfect for opening up the windows, letting the sun shine in and getting some much needed decluttering and cleaning done.

13. Sarah @ Chantille Fleur September 13, 2012 at 1:48 pm #

Oh my, those flowers are so pretty! As you mentioned, the change in seasons isn’t so obvious here in Queensland (especially up north here! Although we are lucky – up here on the tableland we actually get a winter, where as when we were on the coast you didn’t really need a jacket all year round!).
    The first month of Spring I always find so enjoyable, feeling the warmth of the sun on you skin for the first time in months! I love winter, but by the end I am tired of being wrapped in layers and having such short days.
    Enjoy you de-cluttering. They say a change is as good as a holiday!
    xo

14. John September 13, 2012 at 1:53 pm #

I so needed that dose of spring turning up in my inbox today. Thanks, Katie, for reminding me of the world beyond the fluorescent lighting and computer terminal.

Katie September 13, 2012 at 5:45 pm #

Oh, my pleasure John! Thank YOU for stopping by to leave such a lovely comment!:)

15. Jane @ Shady Baker September 13, 2012 at 8:40 pm #

Love a spring clean Katie! Great photos and thoughts as always :)

16. Anna-Rosa September 14, 2012 at 1:27 am #

Great photos! It is very refreshing to see these photos right now, cause I live in Greece and fall is coming round here!! You made me smile and thank you for that! Have a nice day!!

17. donna goat September 14, 2012 at 12:47 pm #

i took some photos like this a couple of years ago at the beginning of spring, and your beautiful photos remind me so much of them! i love it when things start to blossom!!! :D

xo

18. Heidi September 14, 2012 at 2:47 pm #

Your pics are beautiful Katie and have put a spring in my step. A spring clean is always good for the soul and you really just feel so much better for doing it huh? Thank you for sharing your lovely photos and hopefully the spring sunshine will make your little home shine much brighter now.

Heidi x

p.s. I am dreaming of new kitchen cupboards too, ours are really old too. Our kitchen looks like a wreck as all the cupboard doors are all breaking off from their hinges because they are so old. The positive is that is makes things super easy to get to! :)

19. Beth September 15, 2012 at 6:13 pm #

wow these pictures are beautiful <3
    i just found your blog via goat and wolf, and it's lovely!
    have a nice day!

20. Amanda @ Little Lady Living September 21, 2012 at 3:22 am #

It is so weird to think that you are getting ready for Spring while I am getting ready for Fall! These pictures are GORGEOUS and I am excited to see our opposite seasons unfold :)

21. Michelle Clement September 25, 2012 at 4:32 am #

Oooh…gorgeous pictures of those blooms! This post is making me wish it was spring – the rainy winter season is threatening us here, today, so my little bit of sunshine is living vicariously through your pictures! he he. :)