Crochet Batman Softies

You may have noticed I’ve been a bit absent from the blog lately. I’ve been doing a little knitting (trying to finish the pattern for the Whale Shark iPhone cover which has been a long process) but mostly I have just been working a lot and haven’t had anything awesome to talk about… Until now!

Over the last week or two I’ve been crocheting up a storm. It was one of our best friend’s birthdays recently and this weekend he hosted a Batman costume party. For his present I made three little amigurumi softies of his favourite characters from the Dark Knight films.

I used a couple of LucyRavenscar’s amigurumi Star Wars characters for basic body patterns and added the Batman, Joker and Bane details myself. Each one took about a day to make and I’m pretty happy with the results.

I really enjoyed making these little guys and it was so good to get back to crochet again, after knitting for such a long time. Once my twisted claw of a hand returns to normal I might have a go at some other amigurumi projects.

What do you think? And what have you been working on lately? I love hearing about people’s crafty adventures!

Reuben :)

P.S. Those are Katie’s hands in the pictures, not mine! She took these photos for me while I was at work.

Tags: , ,

Reuben

About Reuben

Reuben is a green thumb with a knitting machine for a brain. He likes dinosaurs, The Beatles and homebrew (among many other things).

27 Responses to “Crochet Batman Softies”

1. Luke September 30, 2012 at 9:25 pm #

These are fantastic! They would sell lots, if you’re twisted claw was up to the challenge! Haha

• Reuben
      Reuben October 1, 2012 at 3:11 pm #

I couldn’t sell them. The hard work was done by LucyRavenscar with her patterns, I just decorated them. But thanks for the encouragement!

2. Hopskipandjump September 30, 2012 at 10:55 pm #

Oh my goodness, these are incredible!!!! Love the Bane x

3. Sara October 1, 2012 at 3:55 am #

Reuben they are awesome! Loving The Joker. Thanks for sharing.

4. Shary October 1, 2012 at 4:15 am #

Those are so super cute!

5. Leigh October 1, 2012 at 5:18 am #

Oh my gosh those are the cutest things ever! What a fun/creative/personal/cool gift! Your friend is one lucky guy!

6. Ravs October 1, 2012 at 8:16 am #

You are very talented Reuben! What a great personalised present. Bet your friend was thrilled!

7. Teresa October 1, 2012 at 10:28 am #

Awesome and adorable!

8. robbie October 1, 2012 at 11:02 am #

haha! they’re so good :-)

9. Bree @ Twinkle in the Eye October 1, 2012 at 12:29 pm #

Just found your blog through Veggie Mama. Love, love, love! Oh and the Joker is awesome :-)

• Reuben
      Reuben October 1, 2012 at 3:12 pm #

The Joker was my favourite too! He also took the longest because of his hair. Welcome to our blog! I’m glad you like it :D

10. Sarah Joy October 1, 2012 at 1:26 pm #

These are amazing. I bet your friend was blown away by the gifts.

11. Meredith October 1, 2012 at 1:39 pm #

Ok this is seriously amazing!!

12. AmyS October 2, 2012 at 12:43 am #

Oh my bob, I need to figure out how to make the Joker one as well because my eldest would flip for him… I dare say he would travel in her bag around university… lol. Wonderful presents you’ve made – I’m sure your friend adores them as much as we do!

13. Milynn October 2, 2012 at 2:17 am #

I love these, what a thoughtful gift! You are so talented! Once upon a time, I knew how to crochet and was able to make a blanket :) Now I completely forgot how to do it. You’re inspiring me to get back into it!

14. jenny October 2, 2012 at 12:15 pm #

i love these! i stumbled onto your blog through craftgawker. i wish i could crochet but for the life of me i can’t :) beautiful work, and as a few other people said the joker is by far my favorite! i do occasional craft swaps and while i noticed that you would not sell them (someone elses pattern) would you be willing to trade? crafted goods for the like? either way love the subject matter and the attention to detail

• Reuben
      Reuben October 3, 2012 at 6:23 pm #

Craft swaps are a great idea and I would love to take part in one, but unfortunately I just don’t have time at the moment. I already have so many projects queued up! I hope you understand :)

• jenny October 4, 2012 at 1:42 am #

hi
        of course i understand, i shall just have to try and learn again to do it myself
        once again love the work

15. Sarah @ Chantille Fleur October 2, 2012 at 6:08 pm #

These are so cute! You’ve done such a good job :D
    I’ve been doing lots of knitting lately, trying to get reading for the end of the year Xmas Craft Fair that is held locally. I don’t often have many things on my sister’s stall, but this year I happen to feel like knitting at the right time of year lol!
    I’ve been making mini baby bunnies, hand-sized ponies for little girls, soft bamboo washcloths, and my latest project is a gorgeous rabbit – a pattern from Mary Jane’s TEAROOM. I recently discovered her blog and I am just in love with her patterns. :)
    Enjoy the week,
    Sarah

• Reuben
      Reuben October 3, 2012 at 6:25 pm #

Your projects sound great Sarah! I will have to go check out Mary Jane’s Tearoom – I love discovering inspiring new crafts people and designers. Thanks for the tip! :)

16. Ricky October 3, 2012 at 1:51 pm #

I love them all! Coolest knitting ever well done!

17. bridget October 3, 2012 at 4:54 pm #

those are extremely neat! i haven’t done anything actually crafty lately…just editing through a nice big stack of photos. : )

18. Emma October 4, 2012 at 12:25 pm #

These are great Reuben, my man watches me crochet and often says it looks calming.

19. Melissa October 6, 2012 at 2:04 pm #

Fantastic Reuben! I’m so in love with them. What a great idea to do for someone. Thanks so much for sharing and I absolutely love you guys blog. Wonderful

20. Amanda @ Little Lady Living October 13, 2012 at 9:44 am #

Wow!! I love these so much! Great job :)

21. Dakri Jordan October 22, 2012 at 1:15 pm #

OMG i love them a lot!!! Wish i had them myself. You are a phenomenal artist!!! This is sooooo amasing words cannot describe!!! This would be a great gift (if you were selling) for my upcomming birthday. You did such a great job :]

22. Tracie Lopez July 23, 2014 at 8:59 am #

Love the Joker. How did you get the face done? And is the body similar to one particular design from lucyRavenscar? I want to try and attempt it for my husband. I’m not good at creating without a pattern. Thanks