A Whale Shark iPhone Cosy

Lately I’ve been knitting a cosy to keep my phone safe from bumps and falls (well, landings really). A couple of years back I knitted a cosy for my iPod in the shape of a monster, but my iPhone is a slightly different shape, so I decided to make a new one.

Because I really like knitting things in the shape of animals, I thought I’d have a go at making a whale shark to keep my phone inside its belly. Whale sharks are big, gentle sea creatures that we get in Australian waters. They are classified as vulnerable by the IUCN and they just so happen to be the perfect shape for an iPhone case!

I’m almost finished knitting this little guy. He only needs a tail before I’ll be able to carry him around with my phone snug inside. Better yet, I’ve been taking notes and I’m working on a pattern so that you can knit one for yourself, if you like. I’ll keep you posted!

What do you think? Have you been making anything lately? I’d love to hear about what you’ve been working on.

Reuben

Tags: , , ,

Reuben

About Reuben

Reuben is a green thumb with a knitting machine for a brain. He likes dinosaurs, The Beatles and homebrew (among many other things).

35 Responses to “A Whale Shark iPhone Cosy”

1. Fee July 14, 2012 at 10:30 pm #

I’m really loooking forward to the finished case. Looks really great so far :)!

2. Jess July 14, 2012 at 10:32 pm #

It looks fab! Kudos for doing it yourself too.

3. Cath Elizabeth July 14, 2012 at 10:47 pm #

What a brilliant, quirky idea for a case! Whale sharkes are rad, can’t wait to see the finished product!

• Reuben
      Reuben July 16, 2012 at 3:15 pm #

Thank you. I think whale sharks are pretty cool too! :)

4. Mike July 14, 2012 at 11:06 pm #

Looks cute … Well done …. Original

5. Monsterscircus July 14, 2012 at 11:07 pm #

How cool is that! Can’t wait to see the result! My moms friends live i Australia has told mé about the Big whale sharks, Amazing creatures :-) have a happy weekend!

6. Ida July 14, 2012 at 11:38 pm #

I just finished a sweater, and now i am working on a summer top. Been planning to make a cosy for my phone, so I cant wait to see your finished one! :)

Katie July 17, 2012 at 10:47 am #

Gosh, I wish I had the skills and patience to knit clothes for myself. I get so jealous when I hear about people knitting their own lovely cardigans and things. I really must work on my knitting! :)

7. Meghan July 15, 2012 at 1:14 am #

We totally know what whalesharks are! Rueben you are a master! Love this thing!

guppyandwhaleshark.blogspot.com

Meg

Katie July 17, 2012 at 10:45 am #

Hehe! Of COURSE you do Meghan! ;)

8. Jen July 15, 2012 at 1:33 am #

This is wonderful! Whale sharks are one of my favorite animals. Can’t wait for the pattern! -Jen

9. Mary July 15, 2012 at 3:42 am #

That looks awesome!

10. Shelley July 15, 2012 at 7:11 am #

This is going to look fab! can’t wait to see it finished.

The photos in this post are really beautiful too :)

• Reuben
      Reuben July 16, 2012 at 3:17 pm #

Thanks! :) I can’t take the credit for the photos though, that was all Katie.

11. Heidi July 15, 2012 at 9:08 am #

So cool, cannot wait to see him when he’s finished :)

12. Carla July 15, 2012 at 10:44 am #

Yes….I’d be interested in your pattern. I notice you are doing it on 4 needles. That’s an intersting challenge. I figure if I can do socks on 4 needles I should manage this OK. Looking forward to it.

• Reuben
      Reuben July 16, 2012 at 3:27 pm #

I’m glad you’d like to see the pattern! I’m excited to finally finish writing one. The pattern won’t be using DPNs though. The thought of knitting in the round seems to scare lots of people and I want the pattern to be pretty accessible to everybody. I like to knit everything all in one piece because sewing up projects isn’t my favourite thing to do. With the fins and everything I had up to 9 DPNs going at the same time! That’s definitely not something I’d want to force people into. If you really want I reckon I could throw in some tips on using DPNs to make this project. :)

13. Becky July 15, 2012 at 2:55 pm #

This post gave me a smile and left me delighted.

14. Sanaa July 16, 2012 at 3:15 am #

That sounds lovely! I recently have been learning how to knit, and if you post a pattern I might attempt to make it myself :) I’ve been an avid crochet-er for the past year, and I absolutely adore it, but being a person who loves all things crafty how could I not learn to knit!? And currently I just finished crocheting a little amineko cat, and I love him. So cute! Also working on a shawl for my grandmother and a lap blanket for myself…. so many things!

Katie July 17, 2012 at 10:55 am #

Sounds like you have been very busy Sanaa! I dabble in knitting and crochet but am not particularly great at either – probably because I have such a short attention span and never finish long term projects. I am always thinking of the next thing I can do instead of what I’m working on at the time! I really need to change that…

15. Ravs July 16, 2012 at 6:48 pm #

That looks really great! I can design sewing patterns – but have never attempted designing a knitting pattern (I can follow them though ;) ). I do love Whale Sharks, would be great to see one ‘in the flesh’.

16. Barbara July 16, 2012 at 7:03 pm #

Supercute!

17. Becc July 16, 2012 at 8:18 pm #

what a lovely way to personalise a phone! super inspiring,Reuben!x!

18. Chantille Fleur July 16, 2012 at 8:18 pm #

This looks really lovely! Knitting on 4 needles…..I don’t know how you DPN users do it lol!

Sarah

• Reuben
      Reuben July 16, 2012 at 9:55 pm #

It’s really easy once you get used to it. It’s just like regular knitting but you don’t get to the end of the row, you just keep going!

19. Jilly July 17, 2012 at 4:46 am #

Aw this is awesome!!! I’m so impressed. I’d love my boyfriend to be a knitter!

20. Samantha Reynolds July 18, 2012 at 6:44 pm #

I want one!! :)

21. Kristine July 31, 2012 at 7:27 am #

Wow, awesome!
    I’ve mostly just knitted scarfs and beanies myself, but this shows how many cool stuff one can knit if you set your mind to it! And it would be awesome if you make a pattern, I would definitely use it right away :P

22. Elise August 3, 2012 at 4:14 am #

Is your whale shark pattern available? I can’t seem to find it. It’s adorable!

Elise

• Reuben
      Reuben August 3, 2012 at 9:24 am #

Hi Elise! The pattern is not quite finished yet, but I promise to blog it as soon as it’s done! :)

23. Katie August 11, 2012 at 11:11 am #

Hope the pattern is done soon! Looks wonderful, and my best friend is OBSESSED with whale sharks (aka great future present)! Great job!

24. Lexington November 9, 2012 at 7:21 pm #

Reuben that’s some fine work. Any chance you could send me the pattern or better yet would you consider making one for me for $50

25. Scott December 10, 2012 at 9:29 am #

That’s amazing! Can you please put up the pattern?

1. Lately… | House of Humble - July 20, 2013

[...] has finally written up the pattern for the Whale Shark iphone cosy he was working on last winter. (It’ll be on Ravelry [...]

2. Reuben’s Whale Shark iPhone Cover | House of Humble - August 1, 2013

[...] of you might remember that at about this time last year I was working on a knitted cover for my iPhone, in the shape of a whale shark? At first the project came together really quickly and I began [...]