The Little Blue Record Player

If you’ve been watching our blog closely, you may have noticed that in some of our latest posts I have been rummaging through old records a lot. After much searching, a couple of weeks ago we bought a little old record player from a local vintage shop! Everything worked except there was no stylus (or needle for our American friends) and we had to order one in.

Even though we weren’t able to play records right away, I immediately began ransacking op-shops, markets and antique shops searching for vinyls. I’ve quickly built up a little collection and have been waiting (rather impatiently) for the new stylus to arrive. After two whole weeks of barely controllable excitement, yesterday the record store called me to tell me the good news! And when I finally picked up the new stylus this afternoon, I rushed straight home to put on an old record.

The first record we played was The Monkees Greatest Hits. We picked it up for a couple of dollars on our recent trip to Daylesford and I think it was a good album to welcome our little record player into our family. The Monkees are fun and their songs are so catchy and uplifting. What could be better?

Music isn’t something we talk about much on House of Humble, but it’s something that is very important in my day to day life. Recently, when my iPod died of old age, I realised that I really can’t go long without it. I even resorted to borrowing an old iPod from a friend until I could sort out something more permanent. I’ve become quite dependant, but I get so much enjoyment from listening to music that I really don’t mind. Though I’d like to have an awesome record player cabinet, this little one is perfect for now, while we are living in this tiny house.

Does music play a big role in your life? What have you been listening to lately?

Reuben

Tags: , , , , , ,

Reuben

About Reuben

Reuben is a green thumb with a knitting machine for a brain. He likes dinosaurs, The Beatles and homebrew (among many other things).

20 Responses to “The Little Blue Record Player”

1. Penelope June 5, 2012 at 10:32 pm #

It’s a true gem Reuben, I do love these vintage ones and remember a friend having one in her room when i growing up in the 1970’s and being very envious of it! My husband collects vinyl and we have what feels like thousands of records in our home! I’m loving listening to the fleet foxes and camera obscura.

• Reuben
      Reuben June 6, 2012 at 6:55 pm #

Oh, I am very jealous of your thousands of records – we have such a long way to go! But we have to start somewhere, right? :)

2. Sarah June 5, 2012 at 11:03 pm #

So glad you found your record player at last – I am also willing to bet you like this one more because you had to search for it rather than just buying it from any old shop. I have vinyl records but no player at the moment – one day I will.

I haven’t been listening to much music recently. I have been listening to a lot of TED talks on creativity. They are awesome btw.

Sarah

• Reuben
      Reuben June 6, 2012 at 6:58 pm #

That is so true Sarah! The fact that we waited so long before buying one, makes finally having a record player so much more special and exciting. There’s a lot to be said for delayed gratification! :)

3. cb June 6, 2012 at 1:35 am #

being able play vinyl is the greatest thing ever! we are always listening to our record player and we have a pretty sizable collection. the sound is like no other. we even had a piece of furniture made for our collection! now our living room is the ultimate record listening lounge! so glad you finally got a record player, i know you guys have been on the hunt for one for a while!
    xo,
    cb

4. Jenna June 6, 2012 at 2:48 am #

The little blue guy is perfect =} I had a suitcase phonograph for a few years and wanted to ball my eyes out when the band broke. But rather than buy a band I splurged on a whole ne record player. Nothing sounds better than the crackle and pop of an old record!

5. Lindsay @ Trial By Sapphire June 6, 2012 at 2:53 am #

Years ago, my sister and I bought our parents a record player for Christmas, and I have such great memories about how we immediately pulled out their vinyls and danced around. My parents were laughing and dancing cheek-to-cheek listening to all of their oldies favorites, Monkees included! For the last month, I’ve been wanting one too. Patience, right? :-)

Enjoy the old-but-new record player!

Katie June 6, 2012 at 6:48 pm #

Lindsay, that is such a beautiful story! What a wonderful memory! Thank you for sharing <3

6. Sol June 6, 2012 at 8:16 am #

How cool is that record player!! I have many vinyls (as a Madonna collector) but I´ve never have the chance to listen to them because I don’t have a record player. I hope i can buy one some day.
    Love your blog and photos :)
    Hugs from Argentina

7. Lyndall June 6, 2012 at 11:06 am #

That is the cutest little record player! I love listening to records, it’s such an active experience somehow, since you need to change sides and albums, rather than just putting on a huge mp3 playlist that goes for hours. We have a nice little collection which is half inherited from my parents and half ‘borrowed’ from my brother in law.

Lately I’ve been listening to a lot of ‘quiet music’, just random background music type songs that I actually put on my iPod with the intention of listening to while I was in labour. I didn’t end up using it so now it’s nice to have quiet things to play while I put the baby to sleep :)

• Reuben
      Reuben June 6, 2012 at 7:03 pm #

You are right, it IS a more active experience! And I’m envious of your inherited collection. Katie’s parents apparently had a great record collection but sadly they were left in the shed and were all ruined. What a shame!

8. Lilea June 6, 2012 at 12:04 pm #

Yay Monkees! What a great record to start with!

• JessB June 6, 2012 at 12:46 pm #

That’s what I was going to say! Great choice Reuben and Katie, I adore the Monkees, and often have fan girl moments with my Mum and Aunt re: Davy Jones.

9. Jennifer June 6, 2012 at 2:18 pm #

Wow! Definitely worth the wait! It’s a beauty, haha. I’ve been listening to Lisa Mitchell’s new ep Spiritus lately :)

Katie June 6, 2012 at 6:51 pm #

Oh I LOVE Lisa Mitchell! Haven’t got Spiritus yet though – will have to get on that ASAP! :)

10. robbie. June 6, 2012 at 2:46 pm #

i lost my ipod for about a month! i could have died. luckily i found it in a friends glove box. phew! dodged the bullet!

something about the summer always makes me want to drag out the golden oldies! the monkees are great, and this week i’ve been catching up with a lil’ herb alpert. dave calls it fiesta music which is totes appropes, i guess.

• Reuben
      Reuben June 6, 2012 at 7:07 pm #

Seriously Robbie, I felt like I had lost a limb without my ipod! So glad I am not the only one so ipod-dependant :)

11. Kelly June 6, 2012 at 7:14 pm #

you found one! congrats on the new baby! :) May it bring many happy hours of music.

12. John June 7, 2012 at 8:58 am #

What a funky little machine it is. I reckon most of us fondly remember our first vinyl album.
    I was 12 when I spent my hard-earned pocket money on Ol 55’s Take It Greasy. Such a corny album, but I loved it. I travelled overseas for a year when I was in my 20s and left all my albums (more than 800 by then) with my sister. Her house was burgled and I lost the lot, including a complete set of the Beatles, Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan. That was a good exercise in letting go…

13. Michelle Clement June 15, 2012 at 10:08 am #

Yay, records!! :) I’m jealous. I crazy want a record player, but I know my collection would grow quick, so I’ve been holding out for a bit…lol. As for music – some of my recent faves are: The Civil Wars, Benjamin Francis Leftwich, Noah Gundersen, Down Like Silver (‘Wolves’!), Ben Howard, and City & Colour (an old fave that’s always on my list). Happy music-ing!