Goodbye Dear Schnoog

First out of focus photo, taken by me as an 11 year old in 1998. Second two shots of me and Schnoog in 2008. Last four photos of old lady Schnoog in 2011 and 2012.

Yesterday was a sad day. A day that we hoped would never come but eventually had to. Yesterday was the day we said goodbye. At the grand old age of 16, my family’s dear little dog Honey (affectionately known as Schnoog) passed away.

I wondered whether or not to write this post. I wasn’t sure this was something I should share here as none of you (or at least very few of you) knew Schnoog, so her passing bares little significance to you. It’s also not a very cheery subject and we do try to keep things positive in this space, but this little dog was such an important part of my life, it felt wrong to say nothing. This blog follows our journey, so it seems only right for me share this part of our story. It also felt important for me to honour her here in some small way.

Honey became a part of our family when I was 9 years old. We adopted her just a short time after my parents separated, at the beginning of a new chapter for our family. In the 16 years that we shared with Schnoog, we all grew and changed and our lives evolved, many times over. Through some extremely difficult times (particularly during my teen years) Schnoog was one of the few constants in my life. When I left home I looked forward to seeing her as much as looked forward to catching up with my mum and brother. She was fiercely loyal, adorably affectionate and unhealthily obsessed with anything sweet. She was also fond of rummaging through the rubbish for tasty scraps (we lovingly dubbed her “the bin rat”) and she felt the cold terribly. In the cooler months you rarely saw Schnoog without one of her little jackets on (my mum sewed all her rugs and some were four layers thick!) She was such a sweet and funny little character. We will all miss her so much.

I know not everyone is an “animal person” so some people might struggle to understand the grief of losing a fur baby, but in our animal-loving world, dogs and cats (and all other pets) are family. We love them to pieces. It’s still quite hard for me to comprehend that she is gone, but I am so grateful to have had so many years with Honey. She is a part of so many treasured memories.

Rest in peace dear Schnoogie. You will always hold a very special place in my heart.

Today we are holding Daisy, Poppy and Sebby extra close. I hope you are having a nice week and getting plenty of time with those you love most. Don’t forget to give your furry little ones a squeeze.

Tags: ,

Katie is a coffee-drinking, granny square-making, op-shopping daydreamer. Katie likes vintage dresses, Pictionary, doilies and colourful tights. Katie's raspberry baked cheesecake will rock your socks off.

52 Responses to “Goodbye Dear Schnoog”

1. Claire June 21, 2012 at 6:58 pm #

Oh no, sorry to hear this Katie!

• dj ritchie July 16, 2012 at 11:13 pm #

Dogs are my world and I loved your story about Schnoog. I cried, as I usually do when I read anything about dogs, sad or not! Loving a dog or dogs is absolutely the best thing EVER, according to me…Your little Honey baby is wagging her tail from up yonder. Hold on to your memories of a most precious gift God gave you many years ago I am sorry for your loss.

2. Melanie June 21, 2012 at 7:41 pm #

My parents got our family dog penny when I was a wee one of one and a half. She died when I was 16 and abroad. I’ve never forgiven myself for not being near her on her last days. I totally know how you feel and it is so terrible. I still miss penny so so much.

I’m sorry to hear this and it is always so sad to loose a loved one.
    Sending lots of love

Katie June 22, 2012 at 10:27 am #

Every time we’ve visited my mum in the last couple of years I’ve been very careful to set aside special time just for giving Honey cuddles and I’ve been sure to give her an extra squeeze when we leave, just in case. But I’m still sad I didn’t get one last goodbye cuddle. I’m sure both my Schnoog and your Penny knew how much they were loved x

3. amy June 21, 2012 at 7:54 pm #

oh, i’m getting teary reading this! love to you and your family, losing a pet is just as hard as losing anybody. thinking of you guys

amy xx

4. Julie June 21, 2012 at 8:07 pm #

as much as I love animals in general; if you asked me if I was a cat or dog person, I would say that I am a cat person. Then there’s Minnie. When my niece called me almost 16 years ago very excitedly to say ‘Jessie’s had puppies!’I knew without thinking that one of them would be ours. The girls and I went straight to her house to look at the new arrivals. We picked out a little girl with a spot on top of her head. We visited her regularly until we could bring her home. I carried her in my arms all the way from Beth’s place to mine (15 minute walk). We have been blessed to have her in our lives all these years. She has the most beautiful, loving personality that I have ever encountered in an animal. Even now, arthritic and almost completely deaf, her eyes still shine with that special glow that only a loved pet can show you.
    Next time you see Erin, ask her about Min. I can relate to your sadness Katie. It is hard to imagine life without her, but I know that it’s inevitable that one day, I’ll look out the back door and will no longer see this beautiful little girl sitting there.
    hugs.

Katie June 22, 2012 at 10:29 am #

Oh Julie, I hope you get plenty more happy days with Minnie before that time comes x

5. sian June 21, 2012 at 8:35 pm #

oh i’m so so sorry. pets ARE a part of the family and am so sorry for your loss.x

6. librarygirl June 21, 2012 at 8:39 pm #

So sorry. We love out kitty so much, pets are family to us x

7. Caitlin June 21, 2012 at 9:00 pm #

Oh Katie, I am so sorry. You are absolutely right, our pets are a part of our family and losing them is incredibly difficult. It sounds like Honey had a lovely, happy life and you brought her as much joy as she brought you. I hope you are doing ok xx

8. PetitPixel June 21, 2012 at 9:01 pm #

oh my…so sorry to hear that Katie. it’s an impossibly hard thing to go through at the best of times, but when they’re a childhood pet that’s been with you during some tough stuff it always takes it to a new level…i know how that feels, mine was called Louie… :( xox

Katie June 22, 2012 at 10:34 am #

Yes, I do think losing childhood pets is particularly hard. We lost our childhood cat (who was 18!) a couple of years ago and that was awfully hard too. It’s kind of like losing one of the last remaining links to your childhood… So sorry about Louie x

9. Zoe June 21, 2012 at 9:07 pm #

Oh I’m sorry Katie. I have a little family dog who looks like Schnoog, except she’s black and white, called Molly. She’s 13 now, so I understand how special Schnoog would be to you. I’m glad she had such a lovely long life though. xoxo

Katie June 22, 2012 at 10:34 am #

Thanks Zoe. I hope you get lots more time with little Molly! x

10. Sarah June 21, 2012 at 10:28 pm #

I am so sorry to read about you loosing dear Schnoog. I can empathise with how you must be feeling at the moment. I am a huge animal fan and I really believe our fur-friends play a much larger part of our lives than one would think. These critters give so much unconditional love. I truly don’t understand how people cannot relate to these moments.
    Take care. x

11. Jen Alien-Spouse June 21, 2012 at 11:15 pm #

Just think how happy you made her for 16 years – There is nothing better than giving an animal a safe and loving home, and anyone can see from the photos how much Schnoog was loved and loved in return.

12. Anski June 21, 2012 at 11:16 pm #

I’m so sorry to hear this. Losing a pet, especially someone who you have known since childhood can be hard, they are like family.

13. Cristen June 21, 2012 at 11:32 pm #

I’m so sorry to hear about your loss. You were blessed to have her for so many years and she came into your lives at such a major transition. Schnoog was more than just a dog to you, she was family.

14. ana June 21, 2012 at 11:36 pm #

oh, i’m so sorry. they really do become a part of your family. what lovely photos and memories.

15. Shelley June 21, 2012 at 11:37 pm #

Our pets are beloved family members, especially when you grew up with her. I am sorry for your loss. I know Schnoog is waiting for you in heaven.

16. larissa June 21, 2012 at 11:38 pm #

Oh sweetie, my heart goes out to you and your family. I lost my cat last year and it probably was one of the hardest moments to go through. The pain will last for awhile but things will be come clear and you can smile remembering all the time you had together.

Thinking about you tons and tons in the coming days

xoxo larissa

Katie June 22, 2012 at 10:41 am #

Thank you so much Larissa! Very sorry to hear about your Kitty too x

17. Virginie June 22, 2012 at 12:32 am #

I’m so sorry for your loss Katie! My thoughts are with you and your family. Our pets become such a dear part of our little universe, they can be our friends, our companions, and it’s always horribly hard to have to say good bye. I guess we have to be grateful for all the good memories we have…

Virginie xo

18. celest June 22, 2012 at 1:44 am #

I’m so sorry for your loss. I had my Kitty for 18 years and losing her was like losing part of myself; which they become, don’t they. I still think I see her whenever there’s a small piece of black clothing tossed on a bed or couch. They do somehow stay with us forever even when they’re gone.

Katie June 22, 2012 at 10:39 am #

They do, don’t they? We went to see my mum right after Honey passed away, and I kept looking at the patch of carpet she most liked to nap on and thinking how very strange it was that she wasn’t there! I think that little spot in the living room will always been Schnoog’s place. So sorry to hear about your sweet cat x

19. Angel June 22, 2012 at 2:17 am #

Im sorry to hear this. Looks like she lived a good full life though. It’s so sad that our fur-babies don’t stay with us for that long. I am not looking forward to the day I have to say good bye to cappy.

20. shirley bjork June 22, 2012 at 3:18 am #

Dear Katie and Reuben
    I am sorry to hear of your ” family” loss and do entirely agree on how our pets become such integral parts of our families. My parents purchased a lhasa apso puppy we named ginger 15 years ago. She literally “grew up” with my children and there was rarely a picture where all the kids (human and doggie) were not together in it. . We lost our precious ginger june 10th and grief is not relegated only to those that walk on two legs. I can see from the beautiful and loving pictures you were a very happy and loved family.
    All our thoughts and prayers are to you to help you through this changing in your life.
    Best regards
    shirley B. and family

Katie June 22, 2012 at 10:40 am #

Thank you Shirley. I’m so sorry for you loss of Ginger x

21. Ida June 22, 2012 at 4:23 am #

Hugging my 11 year old furry canine man here a little extra too. Sorry for your loss.

22. Sol June 22, 2012 at 4:36 am #

Oh, so sorry to hear this. You wrote that you weren’t sure to share this on your blog, because most of us didn’t know Schnoog, and wouldn’t be significant for us. But I’m sure we all can be related to the feeling. Loosing a pet it’s so sad. I completely understand you. Some people couldn’t understand the feeling, or couldn’t understand that we think about our pets like if it’s another member of our families. That’s what my dog is for me, and the dogs I had when i was a kid. They’re part of my family.
    Sorry for your loss and remember the good times ;)

23. Heidi June 22, 2012 at 7:18 am #

I’m so sorry to hear of your darling little Schnoog. I know it is so hard when you lose one of your fur babies as they are just as much a part of the family. My heart goes out to you and your family. We lost our beautiful cat Misty girl a year and a half ago and it was so heart breaking but we will always cherish how she was a huge part of our lives and how she used to make us laugh. Thank you for sharing your lovely moments of Schnoog, she is sooo cute. Big hugs x

Katie June 22, 2012 at 10:19 am #

Hehe, I think she is THE cutest but we always joked that in the last few years she looked so old and fossilised, only her family could find still her adorable :)

Very sorry to hear about Misty x

24. Shirley June 22, 2012 at 7:31 am #

Animals are an integral part of the family and it’s only natural that we mourn their passing – Katie, this must be such a sad time, so sending you a big hug. In time, you will be able to recall so many happy memories, even if it doesn’t feel like it now.

25. Katie
    Katie June 22, 2012 at 10:03 am #

Thank you so much for your lovely words and kind thoughts everyone! You guys are truly wonderful <3

26. Lyndall June 22, 2012 at 12:39 pm #

Oh, I’m so sorry to hear this sad news. She sounds like such a sweet little dog who was a big part of your family. I can see from the photos that she was very loved and I’m sure she had a happy life. The pictures of her as an ‘old lady’ dog remind me of my childhood dog, who was always a puppy to me even though she lived to be almost 14.

27. Renee June 22, 2012 at 6:54 pm #

Oh Katie, I am so sorry for yours and your family’s loss. Losing such a special and loyal family member is always hard, my thoughts are with little Schnoog!

28. Becky June 23, 2012 at 5:47 am #

I am so sorry for your loss, Katie. I still cry over my kitty, Happy, who went to Heaven in 2008.

Thank you for sharing this with your readers; it cannot have been easy.
    I know you like to keep your blog positive and that’s awesome, but it’s also important to let out the things that hurt sometimes, too.
    My thoughts are with you. It is never easy to lose a family member.

29. diana June 23, 2012 at 2:38 pm #

Oh no, I’m so sorry for your loss. The loss of a furry friend is just as heartbreaking as losing a loved one.

30. Betty Zee June 24, 2012 at 7:36 am #

HI, here I am sitting here on a rainy ‘Summer’ London evening and did my usual little ‘looky’ at House of Humble and and have both my kitten girls asleep on their favourite perches and just had to write. Although they are both now nearly 3 they will always be my ‘kittens’. Not having come from a family with animals it was a shock when I accidently took on two little sister kittens when they were only 7weeks old. After being a protector now of them for nearly 3 years I can only imagine how you must feel and wouldn’t be without them…..and want to send my best wishes to you and know that Honey will Always be with you. You’ll always carry your memories of her. That’s how I try to remember both my parents who aren’t around anymore. Sending you big hugs and in old Brit saying ‘keep your chin up’ lovely one!

31. deerdonna June 24, 2012 at 3:56 pm #

oh no, i am so sorry to hear. i am just catching up on your blog and its really sad news :( xox big hugs to you in this sad time.

32. Ellana June 24, 2012 at 5:45 pm #

Nothing we say can comfort the loss of a family member. Just know that we are thinking of you, Reuben and the rest of the family.
    Goodbye Schnoogs :(

Elle

33. Cindi June 24, 2012 at 11:33 pm #

My heart goes out to you. Your little dog looks so much like my little “Twinkle” that I immediately teared up and now can’t hold back the tears as I type my sympathies to you.
    I would say that anyone who doesn’t understand the grief from losing a treasured member of the family is not someone I would care to know. Our dogs and cats are the ones that listen and love, and are SO excited to see us everytime we enter a room.
    What other friend is so loyal? I send my deepest sympathies and hope the happy memories are a comfort to you.

34. Laura June 25, 2012 at 6:16 am #

really sorry :( I totally know how important our pets are – even more so our dogs?! But think of the amazingly lovely life she had, and it was a long one too – just goes to show how much she was loved.
    lots of love
    xx

35. Kerry Neilsen June 25, 2012 at 7:37 pm #

Honey would always follow us down the paddock to inspect the mares and new foals when I visited your Mum near Toowoomba. I was fortunate enough to see Honey again when I visited again in Victoria in January. A very loyal and loving mate, I know how much you will all miss her..!!

36. Jenny June 27, 2012 at 10:23 pm #

Aw :( it’s always so sad to lose a family pet. Our old family dogs have passed away but mum has a black lab now and I will be so sad when the day he leaves us comes. I’ve never even really lived at home while she’s had kenny but you grow so attached anyway. But what a lovely life Honey must have had :) I’m glad you gave lovely fond memories xx

37. Kelly July 5, 2012 at 7:56 pm #

oh katie, thats very sad news! poor little Honey.

38. sarah August 26, 2012 at 6:54 pm #

Its SAD :(

39. Wilson September 11, 2012 at 7:20 am #

So sorry about Schnoog. I lost my 12 year dog Buzzo last year and I know how its feel. Buzzo was like our family member andl oosing someone after being within family for 12 or 16 years really hurts. My sympathies are with you Katie. God Bless

40. Mary James September 25, 2012 at 3:02 pm #

I really feel very sorry for you. I can understand your feelings. But life must go on.
    I too lost my pet dog which was with us for almost 7 years. It took me a very long time to come out of it. But you will always have memories of your dog. My sympathies to you Katie.

41. Elizabeth October 14, 2012 at 5:48 am #

Oh! Poor Katie! I am feeling very sad about you.

42. Jenny B January 29, 2013 at 12:01 pm #

Katie, I just stumbled upon your blog & the first thing I clicked on was the word Dog. I have a Chihuahua that looks exactly like Schnoog! I am so sorry albeit late for your loss of a dear friend. My Sweetpea is getting older and I dread the day when she has to cross the rainbow bridge. It always amazes me how remarkable dogs are. The word “pet” to me does not begin to describe our furry friends. They protect us, cheer us up on a bad day, supply us with enough unconditional love to conqure anything we face and they are happy with some kibble, fresh water, and a warm lap! And that is where Sweetpea is as I type this, in my lap!
    Take care,
    Jenny

43. Liam Garcia January 30, 2013 at 1:40 am #

I am really sorry to hear about your loss. I had lost my pet one year back. I had her with me for the past 5 years. I felt very sad when I lost her. I really couldn’t digest the fact that she was lost. We tried searching her, but in vain.