Orange and Red

These pictures were taken over the weekend, while we were visiting Katie’s mum for Mother’s Day. As you can see the leaves are well and truly changing colour now and the grey autumny skies have rolled in!

This is our first autumn in Victoria and it’s quite different to the autumns we are used to. I spent most of my life (before moving to Sydney) living in Queensland, where it’s very warm all year round. In Queensland I never really noticed the seasons changing. There aren’t many deciduous trees that lose their leaves and the temperatures just gently ease into the winter months (and even in winter it’s not very cold!) Down here though, Autumn really happens! In the last week or so the temperatures here haven’t really ventured above the mid teens, so it’s been pretty crisp! It’s also been quite windy and the sky has been grey. But while everybody else is grumbling because they miss the warm summer sunshine, I’m enjoying our chilly, windy, drizzly days. This weather is still a novelty for me (at least this year it is) and as an added bonus, it’s given me the chance to finally wear the cardigan I crocheted last winter!

Most of all, I’m loving the changes autumn is bringing to the way everything looks. Now, the trees are skeletal figures stretching up towards the sky, while their discarded red and yellow leaves dance around in circles and flutter down the streets. There are no leaves left on Katie’s mum’s fruit trees, when just a few visits ago there were peaches begging to be eaten. Everything is covered in warming colours. The sun sits a lot lower in the sky and the light is soft. It is all just so beautiful.

I’m starting to wonder what winter is going to be like. People keep warning me that it’s going to get much colder. And though I’m sure it will, I honestly can’t wait!

What’s the weather like in your part of the world right now?

Reuben

PS Aren’t Daisy (giving a high five) and Mollie (watching ants) the cutest?!

Tags: , ,

Reuben

About Reuben

Reuben is a green thumb with a knitting machine for a brain. He likes dinosaurs, The Beatles and homebrew (among many other things).

24 Responses to “Orange and Red”

1. Beck May 14, 2012 at 10:48 pm #

Such beautifully captured photos! We are experiencing the same colour changes here in NSW at the moment too. We’ve also had quite the cold snap over the last few days!!
    xo Beck

2. Raynor May 14, 2012 at 10:52 pm #

Reuben! The pictures are beautiful (as always)!

I’ve also moved to Victoria from Queensland. As a ginger with a freckle tan, I just could not cope with one more Brisbane summer or the Queensland sun. People always say things like “this weather must be a shock for you”, and then they look shocked when I say “Are you kidding!? That’s what I moved here for!”. ^_~

• Reuben
      Reuben May 15, 2012 at 6:40 pm #

Thank you! Though, Katie took most of these pics so I can’t take all the credit ;)

We both much prefer the weather down here too. Months of fierce heat and humidity just isn’t fun! But most people we come across can’t understand it either.

3. Ida May 14, 2012 at 11:22 pm #

the weather here in the western part of Norway today is very windy, we’ve been having a storm, with rain and lots of wind. My neighboor has his sheeps out today,and I’ve been watching the little lambs, (baby wool!) fearing they’ll get caught by the wind. The temperature is rather normal for spring here, its around +10 Celcius.

• Mila May 15, 2012 at 1:04 am #

In the Urals, Russia the forecast will be 0 tomorrow morning, at the weekends +20, the weather is a great surprise for us;))))

• Reuben
      Reuben May 15, 2012 at 6:53 pm #

Oh I LOVE lambs! I’m so jealous you have sheep next door, We see lots of them when we drive out to visit Katie’s mum and they are just so cute! I dream of the day when we have a little land and can keep a few sheep. I’d love to shear them and spin their wool to make my own yarn :)

4. Sarah May 15, 2012 at 12:02 am #

It seems funny to hear you talk about Autumn when we’re heading into spring and summer here in the UK (although the weather keeps on letting us down really – too much rain!)

I do love the changing of the seasons and I really missed it when I lived in the Middle East – year round sunshine sounds good but the lack of change is kind of sad.

Sarah

5. Kezia May 15, 2012 at 1:19 am #

I love your photos! I live in the Dandenongs and would not live any where else because Autumn and winter are beautiful here. The cold crisp weather makes you feel alive.

6. Leila May 15, 2012 at 2:24 am #

Hi Katie and Reuben

I live in Nova Scotia and we are just heading into warm weather. It has been a beautiful spring here. It is 16C today and sunny. Love reading about your adventures.

7. Chestnut Mocha May 15, 2012 at 3:01 am #

the colors are fantastic! thanks for sharing! It’s crazy to think it’s fall down there! I hope it doesn’t get to cold for you guys! At least now you can enjoy hot chocolate and more cuddling :-)

• Reuben
      Reuben May 15, 2012 at 6:45 pm #

We don’t mind it getting cold – it’s the perfect excuse for snuggling up with the fur babies and a warm drink inside! What could be better?!

8. ateliervanDoor May 15, 2012 at 6:21 am #

Here in Holland it’s spring but it has been raining a lot, and very windy! But today it was really nice, lots of sun but not too hot. And the wind has blown dry my laundry for the first time this year!
    Love your cardigan!

Katie May 15, 2012 at 6:51 pm #

The smell of laundry dried outside in the wind and sun is one of my favourite things in the world! I think you can actually smell the sunshine on it!

9. Amanda A May 15, 2012 at 6:22 am #

These photos are beautiful, and yes, your pups are so adorable! :) I live in Minneapolis, MN, and it is just now starting to feel like summer here. Flowers blooming, warm temps in the 80s, and blue skies! :)

10. Lindsay @ Trial By Sapphire May 15, 2012 at 6:59 am #

Mid-teens?! WOW! I would say that’s a little more than crisp! However, enjoy the changing seasons and embrace all the beautiful colors around you!

• Reuben
      Reuben May 15, 2012 at 6:47 pm #

That’s degrees Celcius, not Fahrenheit! ;)

11. Kat May 15, 2012 at 7:14 am #

When we went to Canberra a few years ago I was so shocked to see all the trees changing colour. I’ve grown up on the Gold Coast so Autumn just doesn’t exist but in Canberra it was so pretty. I wish we had an Autumn!

12. Lauren Randle May 15, 2012 at 8:42 am #

Well we are in Castlemaine and we moved here almost 12 moths ago from Melbourne. Our first winter last year was a shock to my system – it’s the frosts of a morning that are a little hard to take. I do very much love it though and find that autumn is truly the best season here – the colours are amazing.
    hope you don’t get too cold in Bendigo – remember its the best time to snuggle under a granny squares rug and sip port in front of the fire.

13. eliza May 15, 2012 at 9:35 am #

it’s fab to see a handmade object in use! i got really excited when i recognized your sweater!

the pups are extra sweet! as you guys head towards winter, it’s late spring/early summer here. i’m enjoying my first days where it’s not necessary that i have a jacket or a woolly sweater before leaving the house!

14. Cynthia May 15, 2012 at 12:21 pm #

We’re up to 84 degrees in Spokane, Washington. Lots of sun and lots of flowers blooming. Enjoy your fall and cool weather!

15. Lyndall May 15, 2012 at 2:37 pm #

I love these pictures! The autumn leaves are so pretty.

It’s starting to get really chilly here, especially at night! I’m not sure if I’m ready for winter so I’m happy when we get the occasional sunny day. At least it has been nice weather for my life at the moment- staying inside by the heater, feeding a baby all day :)

16. Karolina May 15, 2012 at 9:16 pm #

In Sweden we’re in the middle of spring, the temperature is rather low at the moment (about +10 degrees Celsius) but we’ve had a couple of rainy days. I so enjoy that all the trees are getting leaves again, it transforms the landscape! For us the spring is’nt just warm weather and growing things, it is also the return of light. In the winter months the sun begins to set as early as 4.30 in the afternoon, but in the summer it can be light almost to 23 pm (especially in the north of Sweden). I like the changes of the seasons though I sometimes think that it would be better if the winter would be a bit shorter…

17. Danielle May 15, 2012 at 9:50 pm #

You have captured the essence of the feeling of fall in this post… love. Fall is my favourite season, always has been… the colours, the coziness, the relaxed feeling, the stick to your rib meals… even the smell of fall is spectacular! We are Canadian so currently in Springtime… been VERY warm (+20-25 Celsius) & we even have enjoyed a couple good thunder storms taking us back into skirts, shorts & sandals.

18. Stitchybritt May 19, 2012 at 4:30 pm #

Hey Reuben, I grew up in Queensland, then lived in Victoria for years (now in Sydney for work reasons). I never ever got tired of the colder months or the grey skies, because it was all part of the wonder of the seasons, which, like you said, just doesn’t happen in Queensland. Enjoy!