Antiquing in Castlemaine

We spent all day yesterday out and about in the autumn sunshine, with two of our very favourite friends, searching for treasures. It was pretty much the perfect day.

We started the day with a visit to the local markets (as we do most Sundays) for a rummage through the old junk, before popping into one of our favourite vintage shops nearby. After lunch we decided to drive over to Castlemaine for the afternoon. Reubs and I had only ever really passed through Castlemaine and had been meaning to do a proper visit for such a long time. We were a bit worried everything would be closed on a Sunday afternoon but we found plenty of places open and lots of great antique stores to visit. We even spotted a little yarn bombing! Castlemaine is such a lovely little town. There are still plenty more shops and things we didn’t get a chance to visit yesterday, so we plan to go back and spend a bit more time exploring there very, very soon!

I hope you had a marvellous weekend! What did you get up to?

Tags: , , ,

22 Responses to “Antiquing in Castlemaine”

1. Jane @ Shady Baker May 21, 2012 at 10:27 am #

Looks perfect Katie…I love the warmth and colour in your photos :)

2. Lilea May 21, 2012 at 10:44 am #

Wow! Look at that plate display! I love the bottles, too. Sounds like a wonderful day.

3. Emily :) May 21, 2012 at 12:40 pm #

I spent all day going around to markets and antique stores in Daylesford,Castlemaine and maryborough!!!

Katie May 21, 2012 at 5:39 pm #

Ha! Fancy that! It’s a wonder we didn’t cross paths!

4. Laura May 21, 2012 at 2:09 pm #

Oh my! Look at all those plates. I’m lucky if I find one about every 6 months over here! :( That would be my idea of total bliss

5. Anne Mage May 21, 2012 at 3:23 pm #

I had no idea Castlemaine could be so cute! Its been years since I have been there and vowed never to return, perhaps its time to re-assess.

You have revolutionized the Castlemaine tourism industry, they should forever be in your debt.

Katie May 21, 2012 at 5:42 pm #

Haha! Really Anne? Because it truly IS cute! Lots of nice shops and millions of antiques, and a couple of the cafes looked quite lovely too.

6. Lynda May 21, 2012 at 7:19 pm #

Wow, those towering piles of paperbacks, bet I’d want the one from the bottom! I spent part of my day at a couple of National Trust properties sharing my Almond Slice with ducks – they, like puppies, can do that Big Eyes pleading thing – and wandering around listening to birdsong and sheep.

• Ellana May 23, 2012 at 7:56 pm #

Sounds wonderful!

7. Lauren Randle May 21, 2012 at 7:39 pm #

Next time your in town pop up and see us at ‘the reclaimed room’ I love living in Castlemaine, its a smaller enough town that you know the faces of people you pass in the street – but big enough to explore and always find new things you hadn’t noticed before.

Katie May 21, 2012 at 7:56 pm #

Yes, we definitely will! I did think of your guys yesterday, we just ran out of time! :)

8. Elizabeth May 21, 2012 at 9:01 pm #

God I love antiquing!!!! These are great photos, btw. Makes me want to go out and find some antique stores!!! I esp love the old bottles.

• Ellana May 23, 2012 at 8:00 pm #

likewise…. I am an avid bottle collector <3

Katie May 24, 2012 at 11:09 am #

I’m obsessed with old bottles too! I think Reubs and my friends thinks a bit weird actually (we’ll walk into a shop full of lovely old antiques and the first thing I’m drawn to is the dusty old bottles!) but I think they are just beautiful.

9. Sarah May 22, 2012 at 8:58 am #

Your photos make me wish I hadn’t had to spend the entire weekend at work. We are having wonderful spring-summer weather in Canada, but I would have loved to be out perusing antique shops and markets nonetheless. *sigh* sometime soon : )

10. veggie mama May 22, 2012 at 11:41 am #

Oh goodness, I think I just lost my mind!

11. Hayley May 22, 2012 at 4:22 pm #

Oh wow! I can’t wait to go on an op shopping road trip, and this is not helping my patience!

12. Ellana May 23, 2012 at 7:54 pm #

Went to Reverse Garbage in Sydney today…. saw a stack (multiple stacks actually) just like the one in your photo….happy times! :)

13. Ellana May 23, 2012 at 7:55 pm #

of books that is…

14. Lucinda May 24, 2012 at 2:39 pm #

Looks lovely! I have really only ever passed through Castlemaine too, went to a cafe there last winter which was great but I can’t remember the name of it! Anyway, looks worth a diversion next time!

15. Lesley June 25, 2012 at 10:42 pm #

Great photos. I love rummaging through old book stores!

1. Daylesford | House of Humble - May 28, 2012

[...] the loveliness of our day in Castlemaine last Sunday, today we decided to venture a little further south and explore the gorgeous little [...]