And it was all Yellow

We’ve had a few great op-shop/flea market/antique store adventures lately, so I thought today I’d share some of my favourite recent finds. Now that it is nearly winter it’s usually quite dark by the time we get home from work, so unfortunately I haven’t had many opportunities to take pictures. This afternoon I had to ask Reubs to model the things for me outside, in the last of the light!

This cushion is one half of a matching pair. I found them tucked in a corner of an op-shop in Castlemaine and just about had a little heart attack. There is almost nothing I love more than 70′s print fabrics. Especially if they feature yellow! These cushions match our yellow couches perfectly.

This sifter was found at our local Sunday markets and the mushroom measuring cup is from the Mill Markets in Daylesford. I love them because they are both ridiculously cute and extrememly useful! I foresee these two helping me make many, many batches of cupcakes in the future.

I have a serious thing for vintage wallpaper but had never been lucky enough to find any in an op-shop, until I stumbled across this lovely pile of yellow floral offcuts in Castlemaine. I not sure what I’ll use them for yet, but I’m thinking they’d be great for sprucing up old furniture like this.

This 70′s curtain was kind of a splurge. It came from an antique/gift store and was more expensive than I would normally pay for a vintage curtain, so initially when I found it, I didn’t take it home. I fell so in love with the print though, I didn’t have the strength to leave it twice. When I visited the shop a couple of weeks later and it was still there, I snatched it up. I plan to sew it into something special.

This cute vintage costmetics case and towel are both as brand new and cost $1.50 for the two. Yes!

I love this sweet birdie hanger. It’s insanely cute and will be handy for storing little odds and ends. I think I might use it to keep ribbons.

Are you noticing a colour theme here? It’s reached the point now where ladies in op-shops say “Wow! Someone really likes autumnal colours!” whenever they serve me. And if I am out with friends, every mustardy yellow item we pass is pointed out to me. I like it!

Have you found any lovely things lately? Do you have a colour theme like I do?

Tags: , , , , ,

37 Responses to “And it was all Yellow”

1. PetitPixel May 31, 2012 at 8:48 pm #

Love the tie in with Coldplay :) Yellow is one of my favourite colours at the moment…heavily influenced by all the autum leaves I’d say!

Katie June 1, 2012 at 10:57 am #

Yellow is my favourite always so all the yellow in the trees makes me VERY happy! Autumm is just so beautiful.

2. Sophie Isobel May 31, 2012 at 9:09 pm #

Oh WOW! Such beautiful finds! I just love all the patterns and that measuring cup is all kinds of adorable. I was just writing the other day about all my finds matching, I love when it happens!
    Hope you guys are having a lovely night.
    Sophie xx

PS. Now I have Coldplay in my head :)

Katie June 1, 2012 at 11:03 am #

The really awesome thing about the measuring cup is that on the inside it has weight measurements marked for all kinds of ingredients, like flour and cocoa, so it wll be super handy for old recipes with the ingredients listed by weight and not in metric. The fact it’s incredibly cute is a bonus! :)

3. Sarah May 31, 2012 at 9:51 pm #

You clearly have the best op shops in the world down under!!

I think it’s nice to have a signature colour as then even if patterns are different you have an overarching theme to pull it all together.

My colour is occasionally yellow but mostly greens and purples.

Sarah

Katie June 1, 2012 at 11:08 am #

Honestly, the op-shops here aren’t always great. I’ve been really, really lucky lately but sometimes I go for months at a time where the only things I see in op-shops are t-shirts from K-Mart and kids Dora the Explorer pjs. It takes many , many visits and lots of sifting through junk to uncover these little gems! So don’t feel disheartened! :)

4. Frankie May 31, 2012 at 11:23 pm #

You always find such awesome things! I am definitely a yellow girl as well, except now I’m starting to be very attracted to peachy pinks… which don’t exactly mesh well with mustard yellow. I guess that could be a bad thing!

5. Penelope June 1, 2012 at 12:51 am #

Thanks for sharing all your beautiful finds Katie. I too love mustard yellow rather than bright yellow and the70′s was just so groovy with all these colours and patterns. I tend to go for blues and greens but mustard is becoming my next best colour xox

6. Penelope June 1, 2012 at 12:53 am #

ps. Loved your guest post of One Sheepish Girl by the way, plan to make a doily heat pack come the Autumn xox

Katie June 1, 2012 at 11:10 am #

Thank you so much Penelope! I adore Meredith’s blog so was really, really chuffed to guest post over there :)

7. Monsterscircus June 1, 2012 at 1:03 am #

What a nice treasure hunt and with lovely finds! Some people are quite good at that, and apparently you are one opåd those. Have a lovely day!

8. Sway June 1, 2012 at 1:04 am #

Oh wow! What beautiful finds!!! The wallpaper and the hanger are just unbelievable!! Well done to you guys!!!
    Luvluv,
    Sway xx

9. Amanda A June 1, 2012 at 1:28 am #

I LOVE everything, especially that cosmetics case and towel for under $2! That’s amazing! :) Love to see others’ thrifty finds! :)

10. kelly christine June 1, 2012 at 1:52 am #

love that curtain print! great finds, friends! xoxo

11. Jenna June 1, 2012 at 5:25 am #

Ah I love each and every one of these items! You are well justified to have an obsession with yellow. Though I may be bias because it happens to be my favorite color as well! I always ooh and aah whenever I come across mustard yellow yarn and think of all the beautiful things that can be made from it.

Katie June 1, 2012 at 11:16 am #

Hurrah! Team yellow unite! And I 100% share your love of mustard yarn. One day, when I’m much, much better at knitting, I’d really like to knit a mustard cardigan with vintage glass buttons. That’s one of my silly little dreams :)

12. Kat June 1, 2012 at 7:09 am #

I do love yellow! I never get a chance to op shop because all the ones on the Gold Coast are closed on weekends. I can’t wait till I am on maternity leave so I can hit up the op shops.

13. Portgirl June 1, 2012 at 8:17 am #

I am a blue and green girl myself but love love love the way you have used yellow. That song brings back an extra spesh memory as well :) Not vintage but I did manage to find a gorgeous cream Ralph Lauren cardigan with the most divine toggles that are soft leather and bone look.

Also have scored a Skippy plate ($1).. split cane sun lounge ($10) split cane armchair (painted white – $20).. Best “make me smile” find though was a Souvenir spoon from my high school. My home town is over 1000km away so to have one donated and then found by me – it was meant to be : ) I had missed our school centenary reunion the weekend before and was feeling a bit sorry for myself about it so the 50c spoon really cheered me up. I am going to look into getting some of my spoons made into a charm bracelet of sorts..

Katie June 1, 2012 at 11:12 am #

Wow, they are great finds! And I LOVE the idea of turning old spoons into a charm bracelet! So clever!

14. eliza June 1, 2012 at 8:30 am #

i have an odd habit of buying complimentary things. the colors scheme will change, but i’ll go out on a bit of a spree and come home and realize that everything i bought was white, blue or green, or some combination of the three. or that i managed to buy multiple powder blue and bright red objects.

15. Teresa June 1, 2012 at 10:39 am #

These are all such lovely and CUTE finds! I love 60s and 70s prints and I especially love those cushions and that wallpaper! So great. :)

16. Becky June 1, 2012 at 12:18 pm #

Great finds! Such cute stuff – love the patterns. :) I love me some purple and green with yellow and orange thrown in for good measure. I like brights that match neutrals a lot. Good stuff.

17. Lucinda June 1, 2012 at 3:04 pm #

Love the idea of using the wallpaper to spruce up furniture, that pic was so cute! I got some great offcuts of vintage wallpaper a while back and used them for inside drawers, rather than outside, and also made some pencil cups out of old tins, and the tiny scrap bits I cut into squares, sewed to cardboard and made heaps of little gift cards. Enjoy! L

18. cass June 1, 2012 at 7:55 pm #

Gorgeous finds, and what a great idea is that bird hanger thingy? I think I need one too, I wonder if I could find a pattern or tutorial somewhere for one? But I must say I was a little distracted by that way cool blue cardi, it looks so scrummy and warm!

19. Zoe June 1, 2012 at 8:16 pm #

Lovely! My Mum has a sifter just like that, and I’ve told her that it will be mine one day, I love it! She’s had it since she married Dad 38 years ago!

20. Lyndall June 3, 2012 at 10:06 am #

I love all of these! I found a big bag of vintage wallpaper offcuts at the Radio Adelaide jumble sale a few years ago. I’ve used some of it in little frames and put them on our bedroom wall.

That big piece of fabric is so pretty! I think it would make a nice maxi-skirt :)

21. Robbie June 3, 2012 at 3:32 pm #

All of your finds are so great! We really have the same taste in things! I really love 70s vintage ❤

22. JessB June 4, 2012 at 2:29 pm #

Wow, those things look super cool Katie! I especially love the sifter and measuring cup.

I am all about the red at my place. I have a red handbag, red glasses, red earrings, rings and lipstick, and red utensils in the kitchen. I want to get some red bed linen and table cloth/napkins.

23. Larissa June 6, 2012 at 7:28 am #

I want to come thrifting with you! These are so perfect! My new search is going to be vintage wallpaper! Jeez, that’s amazing!

24. Kelly June 6, 2012 at 7:15 pm #

lol I’m known as the yellow girl around town too. People are constantly pointing out good yellow things to me! funny how a colour can creep its way into your life and take over! xx

25. Michelle June 7, 2012 at 10:57 pm #

That hanger bag is a clothes peg bag! How awesome is that print on it. And it’s reminded me I really need to make one since my plasticky one died at the beginning of the year.

26. Dee June 8, 2012 at 10:37 pm #

You two are so cute and I adore all these treasures you found. I heard the Grace Kelly exhibition in Bendigo was brilliant – I wish I’d known earlier – I would have driven the 3+ hours to have a peek. Lovely blog, Dee x

27. Kristen June 10, 2012 at 2:20 pm #

I am definitely in the same yellow mood. It’s nearly summer here, and I keep scolding myself for loving those autumn colours all through the spring!

28. Caz June 12, 2012 at 8:11 pm #

I love the measuring cup and sieve- my mum actually has a similar matching pair from the 70s. I too love using all the different measurements inside, they are so fun!

29. Michelle Clement June 13, 2012 at 11:01 am #

Ohmygoodness…..love all of your finds! :) What luck!! That lil birdie hanger has stolen my heart…

30. Emily September 7, 2013 at 11:42 pm #

I am absolutely dying over all of your posts. I am so glad I stumbled across your blog it is the cutest! I live in Sydney and you just don’t find these kinds of things, very rarely anyway! But I do try haha

1. Recent Thrifty Finds | House of Humble - September 7, 2012

[...] bought me a second vintage sifter! I found my first one at the local flea markets, then saw this one in the same spot just a couple of months later. I was [...]