Anzac Biscuits

I love oats. Katie was shaking her head at me just this morning because I declared that porridge was one of my very favourite foods. It might sound strange (or boring) but it’s true! Naturally, as an oat lover, I’m slightly obsessed with Anzac bisuits.

There have been lots of Anzac biccies in the shops lately, all ready for Anzac Day on Wednesday, and seeing them got really me inspired to try making my own for the first time.

I don’t cook much and I never bake. Katie’s really good at it (although she’d say the opposite) but I find it really stressfull and have had limited success with many recipes in the past. Anzac biscuits were a great little project for me because they’re really quick, simple and difficult to mess up. They are also delicious. I used this recipe and they turned out perfectly. They’ve almost got me feeling confident enough to try baking more! Almost.

Have you baked anything yummy lately?

Reuben :)

Tags: , , ,

Reuben

About Reuben

Reuben is a crochet man and has a knitting machine for a brain. He likes dinosaurs, The Beatles and alpacas (among many other things). Reuben isn't afraid of dancing in public.

24 Responses to “Anzac Biscuits”

1. Tania April 22, 2012 at 12:46 am #

I made some of these today too and I used the same recipe, how’s that for coincidence? They are very nice biscuits, far better than any shop bought ones! I didn’t make giant ones though, only because you get more biscuits if they are smaller :)

Katie April 22, 2012 at 1:20 am #

Tania, that is a super weirdy coincidence! You and Reuben are biscuit twins!

2. Die Wanderhexe April 22, 2012 at 12:59 am #

MMmmh looks yummy. Just discovered the Anzac Biscuits and having everything at home, I think I’m going to give them a try! Thx Reuben

3. Jane @ Shady Baker April 22, 2012 at 7:23 am #

You rock the baking Reuben, yum!

4. Stitchybritt April 22, 2012 at 7:41 am #

Well done Reuben. I hardly ever bake biscuits but I feel like giving it a whirl now.

5. robbie. April 22, 2012 at 8:53 am #

they’re like giant cookies! i never bake, because i’m awful at it. maybe i should give these a go?

• Reuben
      Reuben April 22, 2012 at 12:21 pm #

Yes! I’m awful an baker too, so if I can make these ANYONE can! :)

6. Lyndall April 22, 2012 at 10:00 am #

Anzac biscuits are the best thing to make! They’re so easy and hardly need any ingredients. A bonus is they’re also easy to make as a vegan recipe with only a few substitutions (the one I use, I just trade Nuttalex for butter). And home made ones are so much softer than ones from the supermarket :9

• robbie. April 23, 2012 at 10:47 am #

a vegan version? sign me up!

7. Athina April 22, 2012 at 12:12 pm #

Yum!

8. Becky April 22, 2012 at 4:20 pm #

These sound super yummy. You know what my favorite thing is? The language differences. Love language.

9. Rachele April 22, 2012 at 5:37 pm #

Great job! They look yummy!

10. Kat April 22, 2012 at 8:29 pm #

I love Anzac biscuits. I make them every year for Anzac day.

11. Rebecca April 22, 2012 at 9:33 pm #

home made anzac biscuits are the best. store bought ones are ussually rubbish. if they arent still bit soft then immediately they are no good!!!! when i was 10 or 11 my granny made anzac biscuits and i wrote out the recipe..i still have aht scarp of paper somewhere in my ugly ugl;y scrawl. :D

also – i agree porridge is one of the best foods. its so easy and yummy and comforting!

12. AmyS April 22, 2012 at 10:16 pm #

I made a TARDIS cake for my daughter’s 7th birthday this past week. It was yummy, although shocking blue icing was an adventure.

Katie April 23, 2012 at 10:06 am #

Oh, how very creative! I bet your daughter LOVED it! My mum used to make me cupcakes with bright coloured icing when I was a kid and I always thought it was just the best thing ever. Bright blue and green were my favourites! :)

13. Lillian April 22, 2012 at 11:12 pm #

ah, i just read AmyS’ comment and can’t stop laughing – what an AWSOME idea!! maybe i can make an anzac day tardis cake :) i used up a whole heap of spotty bananas and made banana bread last week – i love banana cake, it’s almost impossible to get wrong :)

your biccies look yummo, well done!

Katie April 23, 2012 at 10:01 am #

Oh yes, we’ve got some spotty bananas that need to be turned into cake too. Will have to do that this afternoon I think! Banana cake and banana bread is the BEST!

14. Teresa April 23, 2012 at 10:08 am #

I love ANZAC biscuits! Especially the big chewie ones. :)
    I really should bake some for Wednesday too. Thanks for the reminder!

15. Maxabella April 23, 2012 at 11:29 am #

I’ll be making these babies for Wednesday, but I confess I’ve ‘got my own’ recipe. As long as I don’t burn the golden syrup (my specialty), they are impossible to stop at one. Chewy, crunchy, melty, all at the same time.

x

16. Banana Meet-Cute April 26, 2012 at 10:17 am #

Snap! I just made some Anzac Biscuits yesterday, and then ate 5 of them in a row. So good!

17. kirsten April 26, 2012 at 11:08 am #

I agree! I love porridge so much I have to have it every day. If I don’t, it feels like there’s something wrong with the day from the very beginning. And they’re so filling! My poor kids now have to eat it every day too (actually they like it because I make it with milk and cinnamon so it’s very creamy). I’m not much of a baker but I’ll give these a go one day.

18. Jordy April 30, 2012 at 10:06 pm #

I’m going to have to try making these! I’m obsessessed with oats as well, as I just eat them dry every morning, so these cookies look GREAT!

19. cristiane June 15, 2012 at 10:12 am #

i´ll try the cookies!!!! love your blog!!
    i´m a brazilian blogger. do you know RIO +20, I think you would like.