The Big Zucchini

I grew a couple of zucchini plants over summer and we have had quite a few to eat lately. Most of the zucchinis have been picked and eaten while they were fairly small, when they are at their tastiest, but there is a limit to how many zucchinis two people can eat! One of the little green guys wasn’t picked and was instead left to grow and grow. As you can see he got to be quite a size!

I know it probably sounds weird but I’m really quite attached to this zucchini. I’m such a rookie when it comes to gardening and I’ve had a few disappointments, so it feels really good when something goes right! Rohan from Whole Larder Love recently wrote that it’s the holding of home grown produce that gives the most joy, and I totally agree.

Because this zucchini is so big, it would probably be rather tough and tasetless to eat, so instead of becoming dinner this one is destined to be part of a zucchini and chocolate cake (or three!) I can’t pretend I won’t be a little sad when we cut it up, but I’m really proud to be nourishing our little family with food grown with my own two hands.

Am I strange for becoming a bit sentimentally attached to our homegrown veggies? Has anyone else out there had any little achievements they are really proud of lately?

Reuben :)

Tags: , , , ,

Reuben

About Reuben

Reuben is a green thumb with a knitting machine for a brain. He likes dinosaurs, The Beatles and homebrew (among many other things).

25 Responses to “The Big Zucchini”

1. eliza March 28, 2012 at 12:12 am #

are you kidding?! that zuccini is *fantastic*! look at it! i can’t grow anything at all, and the only thing i’ve managed not to kill is a spider plant. i’m hoping to change that over time. (so keep talking about gardening, i’m hoping to pick up some skillz from across the world).

you should be proud, though. providing for your family, encouraging sustainability, knowing exactly where your food comes from. so many great things in one package.

• Reuben
      Reuben March 28, 2012 at 4:14 pm #

I don’t know if I should be proud, I have a very free range approach to gardening. Katie and I are just lucky enough to live in a part of the world where things grow pretty easily. It is good to know exactly where your food comes from and what goes into it though, it’s part of being responsible for ourselves and taking control of our lives

2. katie March 28, 2012 at 12:28 am #

When I grew my first tomato plant, I refused to pick any of the tomatoes…I loved seeing the bush filling with the fruits of my labor! How could I be expected to remove them?? :)

• Reuben
      Reuben March 28, 2012 at 4:07 pm #

I did the same until they started getting eaten by bugs. I decided it wasn’t worth it :(

3. melissa March 28, 2012 at 1:24 am #

We had some gigantic zuchs one year just that size. We got so tired of eating them, that we let 2 grow to see how big it would get. Our mistake is that we let them sit there over winter outside, and come spring time, one of our dogs decided to start eating one.

4. Philippa March 28, 2012 at 4:21 am #

Courgette chocolate cake is delicious – we made some last year with our summer glut and it went very quickly! It’s not weird at all – I still get pretty excited when I manage to grow something! I don’t think it ever stops being satisfying and rewarding; knowing that you created something incredible from just a tiny little seed.

Philippa

5. Frankie March 28, 2012 at 4:39 am #

Love that zucchini. I took a photo of myself with a big homegrown zucchini last year, only I was kissing it. Yeah. Didn’t realize how innappropriate it would look until I saw it on my computer. Makes for a good laugh though. Eventually it became zucchini bread which was yummy. Glad you had such success with your zucchini plants this year :)

6. Danielle March 28, 2012 at 4:50 am #

Well done you!!! So loving how you are cradling that masterpiece of a zucchini like a wee baby. That cake will be amazing… there is something really special about providing food grown by your own hand.

7. Melanie March 28, 2012 at 8:51 am #

Holy moly, that thing is massive! I love the ‘baby’ photos, you two must be so proud. xx

8. Jane @ Shady Baker March 28, 2012 at 10:20 am #

The zucchini is a thing of beauty and so versatile! Home grown produce is pure joy…I agree :)

9. Jordy March 28, 2012 at 10:52 am #

Your horticultural skills ARE wildly impressive. The attachment is completely justified. I had an fixation on a chicken egg that was a little wider than usual…I called it ‘Smuffy’.

10. Lyndall March 28, 2012 at 11:05 am #

Mm, giant zucchini! They are really good if you slice them up and fry them in a little butter (well, we use Nuttalex) with some mushrooms and black pepper :9

We only have a courtyard so it limits our veggie growing abilities, but I’m proud of my potplant herb garden and the passionfruit vine that randomly sprouted on our side of the fence from our neighbours yard! I’m hoping to train it onto some trellis and hopefully get some fruit.

• Reuben
      Reuben March 28, 2012 at 4:25 pm #

I’ve never had much luck with pots or herbs so I’m a bit envious. Well done on the free passionfruit vine! Over summer I let our pumpkin vines grow over the fence into the neighbour’s yard and they told me they have a couple of pumpkins growing over there. I’m happy because I like the feeling of sharing :)

11. Becky March 28, 2012 at 6:49 pm #

Oh my gosh, I love this post! Love how you hold it like a baby. I once grew a massive onion in my fridge (it somehow just kept growing) the stems got to be over a foot long. How is that possible? Food is great. Good food is super-awesome!

Katie March 28, 2012 at 10:51 pm #

Wow, that is seriously amazing! You should have documented your magical onion for science! :)

12. Melanie March 28, 2012 at 8:39 pm #

I used to be in our garden all the time picking weeds and taking care of the plants. growing up we had everything, from corn to potatoes….tomatoes, beans and even peppers. Now I live in the middle of a big city and there is no way I will be able to afford a little rented garden. I really really miss gardening. It is such an amazing and wonderful thing to watch your plants grow and then to be able to eat the most healthiest food in the world.

Your zucchini looks so great!

I am so sentimental when it comes to plants…it really is a little ridiculous. I have a plant in my room that’s basically been dying since a year now. I proud myself with a rather green thumb but I just don’t know what is wrong with it. Sounds strange, but I think it’s just to old. It’s been living with me sine over ten years. It looks totally wrecked and unhealthy…but I just can not get myself to toss it…I just love it too much. I could almost get teary eyed when thinking about it……..my gosh.

Katie March 28, 2012 at 10:56 pm #

Oh, you sweet girl! I just did a quick google search and apparently plants do die of old age (I had never thought of that before!)

I’m really sorry your plant isn’t well. I know it sounds silly but I truly mean that! I’m sentimental about absolutely everything so I can completely understand you not wanting to part with it. You’ve bonded with that plant for 10 whole years! xo

13. Erin March 30, 2012 at 7:19 am #

Reuben! I’m 99% sure I know you- we had mutual high school friends in Qld. I found your blog because I too am a massive down to earth/Rhonda fan and have been baking, sewing, simplifying and greening in brisbane. What a small world. You and you partner’s blog is seriously lovely!

14. B March 30, 2012 at 11:29 am #

If my zucchini’s didn’t die off (I thought they were meant to be virtually indestructable!??!) I would feel the same about them as you do. But I do LOVE zucchini’s.

Thanks as well for your post where you mentioned brocolli growing at this time of year. I feel dumb for not realising that, but thanks to your post I left my struggling plants and I’m delighted to report we have at least 3 of 6 plants forming brocolli heads quite strongly!
    I have been battling white moths for months now and think when I hold the broccoli in my hands the sense of achievement will have me feeling exactly how you do now!

bxx

bybande

15. Rebecca - we are large people March 30, 2012 at 12:31 pm #

That zucchini is massive! Way to go! I think you’ll get at least three cakes out of it!

16. rhonda jean March 31, 2012 at 5:51 am #

Your garden looks amazing, Reuben! I hope that green baby made a great cake. Keep gardening. It’s something we should all know how to do. Love to you and Katie. xx

17. Shinypigeon April 1, 2012 at 5:20 pm #

Looks fab Rueben! I got some SERIOUSLY large ones from the Mother-in-laws allotment last year and we were having zucchini in cheese toasties just to use it up!
    I sugest cutting him up and freezing a bit, then you have some ready for scrummy spag bol or rattaouille too!

18. kate April 2, 2012 at 10:30 am #

i didn’t grow any zucchinis last year but i did receive one that big from someone. it was surprisingly still yummy and i ended up making about 4 dishes, with leftovers, from them. fun times. http://katerees711.blogspot.com/2011/09/holy-zucchini.html

oh man, i miss summer.

19. robbie. April 2, 2012 at 11:30 am #

hahah! that thing is crazy! i always feel bad to use our herbs until the end of the season. i’m their papa, after all!

1. Our Financial Journey to a Simpler Life | House of Humble - January 24, 2013

[...] wanted secondhand, or not at all. We cooked from scratch more and dabbled with a veggie patch (with limited success). We finally paid off our credit card debt. We quickly realised we didn’t want to leave [...]