Sowing Seeds for Winter

Now that it is getting cooler it is time to start planting our winter veggies! Our little garden has been pretty much left to its own devices ever since I planted our first lot of vegetables in spring, but I’m determined to get more on top of things and grow more of our own food. Our garden isn’t ready for direct planting yet, so today Katie and I planted some seeds in little pots that we made out of toilet rolls.

Even though Katie and I see each other every day, sometimes we get so caught up in the busyness of every day life that we forget to really see each other. Making these little pots and planting seeds was a lovely way to quietly spend half an hour together, without distraction. It was also a nice way for me to show Miss Black Thumb how just fun and easy gardening can be! If you would like to make some of these little pots yourself, there’s a really easy tutorial here. It’s such a simple way to reclaim something that would otherwise just get thrown away.

In a week or so, we should have little seedlings of climbing beans, snow peas, broccoli and cauliflower to admire. Broccoli was always my favourite vegetable while I was growing up, so I can’t wait to eat our own, homegrown version!

Reuben :)

Tags: , , , , , ,

Reuben

About Reuben

Reuben is a green thumb with a knitting machine for a brain. He likes dinosaurs, The Beatles and homebrew (among many other things).

21 Responses to “Sowing Seeds for Winter”

1. Jane @ Shady Baker March 22, 2012 at 9:46 pm #

Love your work Reuben and Katie :)

2. B March 22, 2012 at 10:15 pm #

I didn’t realise brocolli was a winter veg – glad we didn’t pull ours out yet thinking it failed us – there is still hope!

bxx

bybande

• Reuben
      Reuben March 22, 2012 at 11:42 pm #

According to our books, it is traditionally a winter veg as it can survive frost, but you can grow it in warmer months too. We tried growing some in spring but unfortunately it just ran to seed… We’re still learning, so we’ll just have to wait and see how it goes! :)

3. Amanda March 23, 2012 at 1:56 am #

That is such an ingenious idea planting them in toilet paper rolls! My fiance and I are almost done building our little green house (which will end up being finished months before the house we are building, I think our priorities are pretty right on, hehe) and I can hardly wait to start planting yummy veggies.

I’m really loving your blog. I feel we have a similar love of a simpler life, and I can’t wait to read more!

Best,
    Amanda

4. Emily Spada March 23, 2012 at 4:17 am #

I’ve always wanted to have a vegetable garden. One day!

5. Frankie March 23, 2012 at 5:04 am #

It’s so fun for me to see you guys do the opposite of what I’m doing garden wise. I just planted some spring crops both inside and outside. I am trying to grow broccolli for the first time this year. Romanesco broccolli to be exact. (It’s much yummier than traditional broccolli). According to my research it’s a fall/spring crop. I love those toilet paper roll planters, although I was lazy and bought the expandable peat pellets. I will probably make some of those as the season progresses though!

• Carla March 23, 2012 at 12:18 pm #

You could also plant broad beans if you like them. They are so beautiful when picked young.

6. Lillian March 23, 2012 at 11:37 pm #

such a lovely space you guys have here. and thanks for the plant inspiration, i’ve been wondering what to plant now the cooler weather is on its way!

7. Kymmie @ a day in the life of us March 24, 2012 at 10:34 pm #

Oh, I’m loving these toilet roll potplants for the seeds! Great idea!

We have a veggie garden, and do it in a big way. But I think I might just enjoy joining you on your journey too!

Happy Gardening!

xx

8. Mike March 25, 2012 at 2:28 am #

You two continue to amaze me.

I love your blog, your photos. All of it. (Oooh, and you’re using a Woo Theme. That’s awesome as well.)

Have a great weekend!

9. Tiffany @ No Ordinary Homestead March 25, 2012 at 6:35 pm #

I actually have an idea now on how to make a chead but effective seed bags instead of buying it from the supermarket. Thank you so much for sharing and good luck for your plants. Hope to see it growing bigger and bigger. Cute ideas ;)! I actually host a weekly gardening link up every Friday on my blog. I’d love for you to drop by and join in.

10. Jordy March 26, 2012 at 2:38 am #

Really great post! I’ve been thinking about starting a garden for the first time myself, and using paper-towel rolls and such for make-shift seedling pots is a great idea! Thank you so much for writing this up and for including the link! Can’t wait to hear how yours turn out!

11. Tiffany @ No Ordinary Homestead March 26, 2012 at 4:13 am #

That’s a great idea and a great way to use up toilet paper rolls which otherwise tend to be pretty useless once empty. :) Hope your seedlings sprout up a storm! I just got ours into dirt finally as well. I love this time of the year when you wait for the seeds to peak out :)

12. Abbie March 29, 2012 at 12:28 pm #

This is a fabulous idea! I am a beginner gardener, and am just getting ready to plant my first ever rented plot. (I live in a huge suburb outside of Washington D.C. No place to plant right outside my door. Need to drive, even to our garden plot.) I gardened as a kid, but not since. Wish me luck, and good luck with your garden this year!

13. robbie. April 1, 2012 at 11:10 am #

i’ve tried climbing beans so many times! one year, i got about ten beans and had planned on sow them the following year. i accidentally dropped them all down the garbage disposal. i hope yours work much more nicely! good luck!

1. 10 uses for toilet rolls | By Wilma - April 26, 2012

[...] I think I need to try this: starter seed pots from toilet roll. Looks easy enough! Found these at House of Humble. [...]

2. Starting Plants from Seed - Kid Friendly Food Gardening. - picklebums.com - September 10, 2012

[...] the past I have used the toilet paper roll method for planting our seeds which has worked well and is super easy. I’ve also tried various methods of making newspaper [...]

3. Link Love – Happy Friday! [Mexican Edition] | - November 15, 2012

[...] forget that it’s fall elsewhere in the world. This is such a sweet post by the delightful House of Humble. Love this take on vegan Lucky Charms by Fork and Beans. Two inspiring posts by Live It.Love [...]

4. Link Love – Happy Friday! [Mexican Edition] - February 25, 2013

5. Vasi per piante eco friendly / Eco-friendly plant pots | La Piccola Box - la box per eco-bambini - June 9, 2013

[...] Source: http://www.houseofhumble.com/2012/03/sowing-seeds-for-winter/ [...]

6. Recycled Seed Starting Containers | Eco-Mothering - March 7, 2014

[…] Some less unique but wonderfully upcycled ideas for seed starting containers include newspaper, coffee cups, yogurt containers and toilet paper rolls. […]