Vintage Caravan Dreams

Image Credit

Image Credit

Image Credit

I’m going to let you in on a little secret. I’m kind of obsessed with vintage caravans. I have copies of Vintage Caravan Magazine and an entire Pinterest board dedicated to them. When we drive past an old caravan parked on the side of the road I always strain my neck looking for a “for sale” sign in the window, and I spend a ridiculous amount of time daydreaming about cozy little vans filled with homemade quilts and vintage knickknacks. Last year when one of my favourite bloggers, Kate, and her family travelled around Australia in their vintage caravan, I was so jealous I started spending hours at a time searching for vans online (even though we have absolutely no space to keep one!)

I’m sure one day we will have a little caravan of our own. Though, what we’ll do with it I’m not yet sure. Often I think it would be great to have one for holidaying and travelling Australia in. Sometimes I imagine setting up a little carvan shop. Other times I think I’d just like a vintage van that could sit at the bottom of the garden and be used us a tiny study/studio space… I think the smallness and coziness of caravans make them a bit like cubby houses, but for grownups. How lovely!

What do you think about vintage caravans? Do you have any secret obsessions? What do you daydream about?

Tags: , ,

40 Responses to “Vintage Caravan Dreams”

1. sian February 26, 2012 at 10:37 pm #

oh those pictures are so lovely. i want a caravan too and loved reading about kate’s travels in hers…

2. Raynor February 26, 2012 at 11:17 pm #

This made me so happy! I think there’s just something about vintage caravans that appeals to everyone in some way. ^_^

Katie February 28, 2012 at 10:39 pm #

I think you are right! Have you ever met a person who said “Oh, I just hate vintage caravans”? I sure haven’t! x

3. melissa February 27, 2012 at 12:29 am #

Oh goodness-caravans are lovely! I’ve also done searches to find one for sale as well. No luck. I imagine myself touring America with one. (I’m Canadian).

4. Julie February 27, 2012 at 1:36 am #

I would love to have a caravan (or VW bus or Airstream) to remodel and have as a backyard workspace. I daydream of having the little space all to myself with the windows open, relaxing breeze flowing through, oldies music playing…

I thought you might like this blog I found about a caravan mobile boutique:

Katie February 28, 2012 at 10:34 pm #

Your daydream sounds a LOT like some of mine! Hehe… Oh and I love Kaelah’s blog! :)

5. Lilea February 27, 2012 at 2:06 am #

Yes! I long for one in the backyard as a special little space. I might use it as a studio or perhaps an enhancement to outdoor entertaining. Or, maybe just a place to take a summer nap!

(As nice as it would be to travel in it, I find the idea of driving it around and maneuvering it scary! I’d be just as happy to stay put in one place.)

6. Shary February 27, 2012 at 2:48 am #

I really want one too. Eeeek!

7. Jane @ Shady Baker February 27, 2012 at 7:43 am #

I share your obsession Katie & I am constantly ‘stalking’ old vans when I am driving around town :)

8. Melanie February 27, 2012 at 8:30 am #

Haha, that last one is amazing! I wish I saw cute caravans like that getting around – but I don’t. I daydream about Art, craft projects and how much I want to live in a real-life Mad Men world. xx

9. Dani Adelman February 27, 2012 at 9:13 am #

Oh my! This post made me so so happy. I’ve thought about setting up shop in one of those. Sadly, Minneapolis isn’t nearly warm enough most of the year. It’s a lovely idea though. Thanks for sharing these splendid images. :)

10. Jennifer February 27, 2012 at 9:53 am #

I’m a caravan lover too! We had plans to buy one and do one up to drive around Australia in but the doing up part would be the big wallet stealer. You’re lucky you live in Victoria, whenever I look online for nice, proper, vintage caravans most are in Victoria (next Queensland, then finally New South Wales!Ugh!)
    I’ve got my eye on this one that ends tonight on ebay: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/260961940297?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 I’m worried in the last 10 minutes I’ll be begging my Mum for a loan!Haha.

11. Jamie February 27, 2012 at 9:53 am #

I am so in love with these! I’ve almost got my husband talked into one :) I actually blogged about it last week, check it out if you like: http://scissorsandsteam.blogspot.com/2012/02/i-heart-campers.html

Katie February 28, 2012 at 10:41 pm #

Love it! I adore that Pic of Elizabeth’s Brave – I can’t believe I forgot to include it in my post!

12. Debie February 27, 2012 at 11:42 am #

I would love to own one and travel with my own family and take pictures of kids and dreamy stuff. I love caravans! Haha :p

13. Allie O'Bannon February 27, 2012 at 5:23 pm #

These are darling! The mister & I were just watching a show about vintage caravans the other day & it really solidified my desire to own one!

14. Michelle Clement February 27, 2012 at 5:33 pm #

Eeek! They’re so lovely! I crane my neck at every orange VW van that passes…lol. Mister husband and I want one in a few years…we’re big campers, but if we ever have a kid/dog, it would be much more feasable to camp in a cute van than our current mode of transportation – the motorcycle… :) lol. One day! I’d love to get a fixer-upper and spend time making granny seat covers and giving it some love…

15. Kate February 27, 2012 at 9:16 pm #

Yep, I daydream about getting back on that big wide open road.
    Such a bum that my biggest wants to go to school this year.
    And a big thankyou for including our gilr in your post.
    Hope your week is the happiest. xx

Katie February 28, 2012 at 10:31 pm #

It’s a pleasure Kate! Wishing happy things for you too! x

16. Danielle February 28, 2012 at 3:29 am #

Wonderful images… very dreamy. And yes I have a small but mighty fascination with vintage caravans… really wanted to somehow squeeze one into our backyard to serve as a change house & relax zone for us & the kids during the warm months. I think that would be perfect!

17. Katie February 28, 2012 at 9:22 am #

I am with you on this one! I have owned my own mini vintage camper for two years now and love it. LOVE IT. In just two years the memories we have made on our little trips have been sweet. I did mine in a kitschy 1950’s theme, and I think it is one of the coziest places in the world. Thanks for sharing this great post and pics.

You can see some of my adventures and pics at my blog!

Katie February 28, 2012 at 10:30 pm #

Oh, you lucky thing! Your van is lovely :)

• Katie February 29, 2012 at 12:47 pm #

Thank you :) we think so too. I sometimes peek out of the window and see it in the driveway and catch myself smiling!

18. Lyndall February 28, 2012 at 10:37 am #

I’m so in love with vintage caravans too! I think it would be nice to have one in the backyard as a little reading room.

Katie February 28, 2012 at 10:29 pm #

A reading room!? What an amazing idea!!

19. Becky February 28, 2012 at 3:56 pm #

Great images! I am secretly obsessed with old bikes. I daydream about riding around town on a restored vintage bike with a wooden basket. Travel!

Katie February 28, 2012 at 10:28 pm #

Oh yes, old bikes! I would LOVE a pretty bicycle with a basket on the front!

20. Elle February 29, 2012 at 5:00 pm #

I travelled with dad and my younger brother for a few months up the coast of NSW in a caravan, it wasn’t quite as small as the ones pictured but just as cosy! It is everything you guys are describing, the freedom and joy that comes with waking up to the sight of the waves crashing on the shore is amazing….quite peaceful. I miss that feeling and will rejoice when hubby and I set off on our own journey!

Thankyou for reminding me of that beautiful feeling that comes with travelling in a portable little dream home away from home!

xxellexx

21. Sarah March 1, 2012 at 1:17 pm #

I love your blog so much! You guys are too cute together.

I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award today! I posted about it on my blog today as well.

Take care!

22. Jenny March 6, 2012 at 12:27 am #

I want a caravan sooooo bad. I am reliably told by my boyfriend that I am unrealistic and where on earth would we put a caravan. Good point. But I still dream about the day we own one. I have a Pinterest board dedicated to them too. Te he xx

23. Rohan March 28, 2012 at 10:01 am #

he he they’re my old blundstone boots in the second pic.

24. mien June 6, 2012 at 6:56 pm #

This is my little caravan ;-)

25. Deirdre June 18, 2012 at 6:09 am #

hiya, what a great website and fab photos im lucky to have just bought 89 caravan which my dad has agreed to fix up for me :D have gotten brill ideas for the inside from these pics tnx

26. Caravan verzekering May 7, 2013 at 5:38 am #

Stunning pictures. I reallly love that tiny green caravan! Makes me want to redesign mine. :)

27. Farmer May 14, 2013 at 10:50 pm #

I have a vintage Vacation van, iam in the middle of restoring i will tow it behind my vintage car, i have replaced nearly one side of the van so far, it was rotted out pretty bad, you never know what’s under the paint until you take it off.

28. Sharyn P June 3, 2013 at 4:24 pm #

I read the first sentence and thought OMG that’s me! I also dream of a vintage caravan, subscribe to vintage caravan magazine and have a pinterest board dedicated to vintage vans! Just have to convince the ‘other half’ that it is a good idea! Nice to know I’m not alone.

29. Ethan September 5, 2013 at 9:13 pm #

I have my own vintage caravan and I’m 13

30. Kris December 9, 2013 at 3:53 pm #

I’m lucky enough to have one of my own & I LOVE it so much for both work & play!

check out my FB site http://www.facebook.com/thebestlittlevintagevaninvegas

xx

1. i heart dinner parties~ « mondaybirds - March 14, 2012

[...] a roadtrip gathering [...]

2. Vantastic (a Giveaway!) | House of Humble - August 7, 2013

[…] “retro caravan holidays in the modern world” I got really, really excited! I’m a little bit obsessed with vintage caravans and have often daydreamed about finding an old van, doing it up and going on a big adventure. In […]