Valentines DIY: Love Birds Diorama

It’s almost Valentines Day! That means it’s time for candy hearts, holding hands, secret love letters and lovely dovey craft projects. Yes! To celebrate the snuggliest of all holidays, I made a little love birds diorama. This project would make a cute gift for a beloved, a sweet holiday decoration sitting on a pretty shelf, or a nice centre piece for a Valentines feast.

To make your own love birds diorama you’ll need…

Materials

• Large Glass Jar (The mouth of the jar needs to be large enough for you to easily fit your hand in.)
  • 2 Feathered Birds (Vintage birds are available from Etsy and new birds are available from craft stores.)
  • Stick
  • Fabric Scraps (I chose red and blue scraps to match the colours of my birds. You’ll need a few tiny pieces for the miniature garland and one bigger piece to cover your jar lid.)
  • Embroidery Thread
  • Iron-on Adhesive
  • Faux Grass (This is used in scale modelling and is available from hobby shops.)
  • Rubber Band
  • Ribbon

Tools

• Scissors
  • Needle
  • Hot Glue Gun
  • Fine Sandpaper
  • Small Plate
  • Pencil

Instructions

1. Find a nice stick and snap it so that it’s the right size to comfortably sit across the width of your jar. Give it a gentle rub with the sand paper to clean it up and smooth any rough edges.
2. Use your glue gun to stick your birds into position on the stick.
3. Follow the directions of your iron-on adhesive to fuse your tiny fabric scraps so that they are back to back. This will prevent your miniature garland from fraying and make the garland double sided, so your diorama will look cute from every angle.
4. Cut small triangles out of the fused fabrics.
5. Use your needle and embroidery thread to thread the triangles together. Just sew one long stitch along the top edge of each triangle.
6. Tie the ends of your miniature garland to the ends of the bird perch and trim away any excess thread.
7. Put a blob of glue on one end of the bird perch and as quickly as you can, stick it to the inside of your jar. You might like to practice the motion of manoeuvring your perch in and out of the jar without glue first, as this can be a little awkward. It also helps to make a mark on the jar where you intend to glue the perch, so you know where you are aiming.
8. Pour some faux grass onto the floor of your jar and screw the lid on.
9. Use your small plate and pencil to trace a circle on your larger piece of fabric and cut the fabric circle out.
10. Secure the fabric circle over the jar lid using the rubber band, then cover the rubber band with ribbon and tie ribbon in a pretty bow.

Wishing you all lots of Valentines treats and a little time with those you love most!

Please note: Though you are very welcome to make this project for personal use, I ask that you please do not reproduce these dioramas for sale.

Tags: , , , ,

90 Responses to “Valentines DIY: Love Birds Diorama”

1. Meredith February 7, 2012 at 10:50 am #

Well this is the cutest thing ever!! I want one for decoration all year long! :-)

2. Amanda February 7, 2012 at 11:13 am #

Love this so much! I have my weekend project :D

3. Raynor February 7, 2012 at 11:54 am #

This is the cutest thing I ever saw ever! I love it so much!

4. Pocky February 7, 2012 at 12:03 pm #

That is just too cute for words! I may have to put a geeky spin on it so I can make one for Mr. Wonderful.

Katie February 9, 2012 at 9:24 am #

Oh, yay! If you do make one please share some pics with us! I’d love to see your geeky spin on things! :)

5. Jessica February 7, 2012 at 12:47 pm #

That is SO adorable!

Jessica | Vixenelle

6. Lauren McLittles February 7, 2012 at 12:47 pm #

This is such a sweet little scene & so much more heart felt & creative that a bunch of red roses xx

7. Bianca February 7, 2012 at 1:16 pm #

Well that is just so cute! I’m sure it would look good all year round too =)

8. Lisa February 7, 2012 at 3:14 pm #

Oh my gosh – this is just too sweet! I love it and will simply have to make one of my own! ^_^

9. Jenni February 7, 2012 at 5:38 pm #

How cute! I love it when I come across a DIY that’s so very original! I saw so many Christmas dioramas that all looked the same, but this is so different and lovely

Katie February 9, 2012 at 9:26 am #

Aw, thank you Jenni! It is really HARD coming up with things that haven’t already been a bazillion times, so I’m really glad you think this little project is original! <3

10. sian February 7, 2012 at 6:14 pm #

so so sweet!

11. Laura February 7, 2012 at 6:49 pm #

Katie, usually I am not a fan of Valentine´s projects, but yours is sooooo sweet and funny, and witty! Very cool work! :-)

Katie February 9, 2012 at 9:26 am #

Oh, thank you Laura! That is so nice! <3

12. Melanie February 7, 2012 at 10:17 pm #

This is so adorable! :)
    I actually would love to do this for a friend of mine who is going to have a baby.

so sweet!

Thanks!

Katie February 9, 2012 at 9:28 am #

That’s a great idea! And wouldn’t it be cute if you could get a smaller bird, to make it a mama and baby bird sitting on a perch!? Now THAT would be adorable! :)

13. Fran February 7, 2012 at 11:57 pm #

I’m not really a fan of valentines day – but I absolutely adore this! It’s so cute – and a winner all year round! Thanks for sharing the tutorial!

14. Kim February 8, 2012 at 1:20 am #

So cute. Nice work.

15. Eartha Kitsch February 8, 2012 at 4:22 am #

That is ridiculously cute!

16. happy zombie February 8, 2012 at 7:29 am #

Saw your Love Birds Diorama on Pinterest – crazy in love with it!

17. Nancy February 8, 2012 at 8:27 am #

So adorable!! Love all the detailed touches

18. Suzie February 8, 2012 at 8:59 am #

Oh my gosh, this is so sweeet!

19. emma February 8, 2012 at 12:35 pm #

incredibly cute!

20. Kristy February 8, 2012 at 2:58 pm #

D.a.r.l.i.n.g.

21. robbie. February 8, 2012 at 4:46 pm #

omg, katie! too effing cute! <3

22. Kelly February 8, 2012 at 5:10 pm #

freaking ADORABLE.

23. Christie February 8, 2012 at 7:02 pm #

This is just the most gorgeous wee thing! :)

24. Pysselbolaget February 8, 2012 at 10:29 pm #

Simply lovely!

25. jo February 9, 2012 at 2:53 am #

Your little birdies are so adorable – I love this idea and will definitely be making my own version.
    Thanks for the inspiration.

Katie February 9, 2012 at 9:29 am #

My pleasure Jo! If you do make your own, I would LOVE to see some pics! :)

26. faithrduke February 9, 2012 at 4:55 am #

Gosh this is the sweetest thing I have ever seen! Forget about saving my jars for matzo ball soup! This is goin to be my NEW obsession!

27. Heather - Dollar Store Crafts February 9, 2012 at 9:06 am #

Super cute! I linked at the Dollar Store Crafts FB page: https://www.facebook.com/dollarstorecrafts

Katie February 9, 2012 at 9:20 am #

Oh, yay! Thanks so much for sharing Heather! <3

28. Katie
    Katie February 9, 2012 at 9:30 am #

Thank you so much for all your lovely comments everyone! I’m so glad you guys like this project! <3

29. Latoya February 9, 2012 at 10:13 am #

Aaawww! How cute!

30. Danielle February 9, 2012 at 11:18 am #

Very cute but I always wonder about stuff like this… Where the heck would you put it? I could be seen as the crazy lady with the collection of birds or butterflies in mason jars! LOL

31. Sarah Forhan February 9, 2012 at 11:45 am #

Oh my goodness so cute! I shared your link with our Bowdabra Facebook Fans and added your craft to our Bowdabra “Rocks Our Socks Off” Pinterest Board. ADORABLE!!

32. Lyndall February 9, 2012 at 2:13 pm #

This is so adorable! I love the bunting detail.

33. Rebecca February 9, 2012 at 11:06 pm #

that is sooo cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

34. Cecilia February 10, 2012 at 6:58 am #

I love this idea. I am going to make one for my daughter. Thank you so much for sharing!

35. Sarah February 10, 2012 at 10:01 am #

Just happened upon your blog and encountered the post about knitting and crocheting and masculine vs. feminine pursuits. I’m writing a dissertation on the intersection of domesticity and feminism (in the neo-Victorian novel) and was really excited to see some real-life breakdown between domesticity and typical feminine association. Bravo to you. And, would you teach me to knit???

36. Gen February 10, 2012 at 10:45 am #

That is so beautiful! So much colour and so lovey dovey. How creative!

37. Leah February 10, 2012 at 2:27 pm #

Just pinned this on pinterest and it spread like crazy within just a minute!

It is so cute, I can’t wait to make one like it!! Thanks for sharing!

38. JessM February 11, 2012 at 1:14 am #

Sweet idea for a lamp in a nursery….take a clear bottom lamp base, some don’t have a bottom so you can make a wood base or cover a piece of cardboard with the hobby grass and seal it at the end…Cover a lampshade in a complimentary fabric….again sweet idea, nice to have fresh inspirations.

39. Sarah Forhan February 11, 2012 at 4:30 am #

We loved your craft so much we featured it on our Bowdabra Blog Feature Friday post! :-) http://wp.me/p1xtT7-1Qt

Katie February 11, 2012 at 8:47 am #

Aw, thank you so much Sarah! <3

40. katie February 16, 2012 at 12:48 am #

LOVE this idea–so incredibly cute!

41. Melanie February 24, 2012 at 4:57 pm #

Hi Katie and Reuben, I cannot believe that I didn’t know about your delightful blog before now. Your bird diorama is seriously the cutest thing I’ve ever seen and I can’t wait to make one! xx

42. Dorothy February 26, 2012 at 9:32 am #

This is about THE cutest thing I’ve ever seen! I shared it on my tumblr craft blog –craftdiscoveries dot tumblr dot com– along with a link back to your blog. Thank you for allowing this option, it’s very much appreciated. I believe this post will be reblogged again and again it’s just so adorable. I’m a new subscriber and enjoying browsing your blog very much, you guys are awesome!

43. Petalbelles February 26, 2012 at 10:19 pm #

Absolutely lovely!

44. Marie April 13, 2012 at 5:28 am #

I saw your lovebirds on Pinterest and had to stop by and tell you how sweet they are! Thanks for sharing the how-to!

45. Libbie April 15, 2012 at 7:01 am #

I just linked over since I copied you idea! I was walking through the dolar store & saw some cute birds & moss right next to each other right after I saw your adorable birds on pinterest :) Thanks for sharing your idea! Now my mom has a sweet set of birds on her orch for the summer :)

46. Lesley June 25, 2012 at 10:39 pm #

This is sooooo cute! I wanna make one to sit at my desk!

Lesley

47. Nan July 1, 2012 at 12:27 am #

I love this, because I love birds! Have you tried suspending the perch from the top of the jar on fishing line? It would swing, then. I may try doing that by punching holes in the lid. This would also be an adorable wedding centerpiece if made with love birds. Adorable.

48. Heather September 10, 2012 at 12:05 pm #

This is truly adorable! If I may ask, what size jar did you use? And the size of the birds? Thank you!!

49. Mirna September 27, 2012 at 1:59 am #

did you put any type of adhesive for the grass? or will it move around? Id like to make this for my mother in law for christmas :) but id have to wrap it.. im afraid the grass might move around?

Katie September 27, 2012 at 7:31 pm #

Hi Mirna! No I didn’t use an adhesive for the grass so if you tipped it, it would move.

50. Laura October 10, 2012 at 1:07 am #

Hi Katie

I found your love bird diorama when browsing for inspiration for a bridal shower gift and fell in love with it. I would really like to do my own take on it but just wondered about the measurements of the birds. I am based in Northern Ireland and am finding it difficult to source them here so will have to get them online. Your help would be appreciated! Thanks!

51. stephanie January 20, 2013 at 3:33 am #

Hi, Katie!! Love this idea!! Where did you find the birds?

Katie January 20, 2013 at 10:55 am #

I just bought them at my local craft store :)

• Julie Ward January 27, 2013 at 2:53 am #

do you know about how big the birds are from beak to tip of tail? I LOVE this and am making one for my little girls “garden” bedroom!

52. Lori January 21, 2013 at 2:50 pm #

Loving this idea! Your execution is excellent! I’m going to make this for our Valentine’s dinner! I do a dinner every year for my hubby and 4 girls and I always do something special! Last year I did fairies in a jar, this year will be your love birds! Thank you!

53. Linda @ Mason Jar Crafts Love January 31, 2014 at 6:35 am #

This is just so darling! I’ll be sharing tomorrow on my Mason Jar Crafts Love blog — I think my readers will love it! oh, and I follow your rules. One pic and a clear link back!

:) Linda

54. Rachel March 14, 2014 at 4:00 pm #

I am an admirer of love birds and Mason Jars. This really fits the bill, nice job!

55. Stacy July 31, 2014 at 9:12 pm #

I love this idea,it has a 1950’s feel about it, must be the polka-dots & bow. I’ve featured it on my latest post on my party inspiration blog http://www.stylemyparty.co.uk/blog/girl-party-treats-favours/ they would be great party favours for a girls birthday party. hope you enjoy reading the post!

1. Bowdabra Feature Friday: Week 3 | Bowdabra Blog - February 11, 2012

[...] Love Birds in a Jar – House of Humbles shows how to make a love birds diorama in a glass jar.  So creative and adorable! [...]

2. Today | mysunnysideuplife - February 14, 2012

[...] can’t wait to make this with the girls today, it is super cute and pretty easy, plus they are obsessed with [...]

3. Lovebirds in | Jfndesign - February 18, 2012

[...] Valentines DIY: Love Birds Diorama | House of Humble [...]

4. TiLT it Already!: Things I Love Thursday « magpielibrarian - March 8, 2012

[...] I’d love to find a way to modify this project for kids. Any ideas? Too. Much. [...]

5. Project Pinterest Spring Fling Features - March 27, 2012

[...] Lindsey via House of Humble [...]

6. Cassie’s Spring Paper Mini Bunting featuring Styrofoam and Canvas Corp - March 31, 2012

[...] pieces sat like this for almost a week!  I decided to peruse Pinterest (naturally) and came across this pin from my “she’s crafty” [...]

7. { making me smile…} | CHN Fashion.com - April 14, 2012

[...] this impossibly charming “love birds diorama”craft from House of Humble.   It’s meant to be a Valentine craft, but I think it’s a wonderful way to welcome Spring too.       Could it be any sweeter?!  Check out the how-to right over here. [...]

8. Foto Friday: Birds | Kay Boutique - Little Girls Clothing Boutique : Girls Clothing and Accessories Wholesale - January 18, 2013

[...] Love birds diorama [...]

9. Be My DIY Valentine « So Sweet Collective - January 30, 2013

[...] Tutorial on Love Birds Diorama by House of Humble [...]

10. 24 DIY Love Birds Wedding Theme Ideas | Confetti Daydreams - February 21, 2013

[...] 6. (Below Left) Check out this darling love birds art that is perfect for framing. “Let’s Flock Together Forever!” is a romantic typography print that can be created in various colour choices to suit your wedding. {DIY Tip} Purchase these prints from The Dreamy Giraffe or create your own using your personal computer. Print your sign in  a colour of your choice and add cute bird  graphics to your sign that can be found online. 7. (Below Right) With love in the air, why not create this sweet DIY Love Birds Diorama to use as a centrepiece or pretty decor for your dessert table. Get the DIY here.  [...]

11. Pinterest Picks 3/8/13 – Jars | Sixty Payments - March 9, 2013

[...] Now its BIAJ! [...]

12. My Creative Journey (and Thoughts on the Fear of Failure) | House of Humble - April 16, 2013

[...] Love birds diorama, made by me 2012. [...]

13. Love birds • ZoKleurig - October 9, 2013

[…] Kijk voor de complete werkbeschrijving op: House of Humble […]

14. 20 mom & daughter DIY ideas - October 13, 2013

[…] 18 / mason jar bird house […]

15. 37 Easy Valentine Decoration Ideas - January 10, 2014

[…] Love Birds Diorama source @ houseofhumble […]

16. Top 10+ Easy Valentine's Day Craft Ideas to #Diy — Dear Creatives - January 17, 2014

[…] Diy Valentines Day Diorama  […]

17. 25 VALENTINE’S DAY CRAFTS AND DIY IDEAS | Two Pink Canaries - January 18, 2014

[…] Love Birds Diorama […]

18. On Taking the Leap | House of Humble - January 28, 2014

[…] second exciting thing was the love birds diorama I blogged about back in 2012 was featured in a magazine! And there’s a cute story behind […]

19. Love Birds in a Jar | Mason Jar Crafts Love - January 31, 2014

[…] find out how to make your very own love birds diorama, visit House of Humble.  Just click here […]

20. 96 Valentine DIY projects, printables and baking | Rilane - We Aspire to Inspire - February 6, 2014

[…] LifeSaver Valentines | 2.DIY Hair Clip Valentines Printable 3.Heart Shaped Crayon Valentines | 4.Valentines DIY: Love Birds Diorama 5.Guys, Valentines Day is Thursday. Like this week | 6.Last minute valentine’s diy […]

21. Jars for Valentine Gifts and Decor | People Excited About Co~Existence - February 7, 2014

[…] 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 […]

22. Mason Jar Valentine Ideas | Mason Jar Crafts Love - February 8, 2014

[…] 5. Love Birds in a Jar from House of Humble […]

23. Valentine Craft Ideas With Mason Jars | Mason Jar Crafts Love - February 14, 2014

[…] 9. Love Birds in a Jar from House of Humble […]

24. Foto Friday: Birds : Kay Boutique - Little Girls Clothing Boutique & Accessories Wholesale - April 5, 2014

[…] Love birds diorama […]

25. Bowdabra Feature Friday: Week 3 | Bowdabra Blog - July 22, 2014

[…] Love Birds in a Jar – House of Humbles shows how to make a love birds diorama in a glass jar.   So creative and adorable! […]