Summer Fades

(Pictures from my mum’s garden. Those itty bitty strawberries are the yummiest things you will ever taste!)

To be very honest, I’m not really a summer girl. I don’t like being hot, I’m happiest wearing cardigans and tights, and I prefer the beach when it’s cool and quiet so you can take a long, peaceful walk alongside the crashing waves (without frying!) I spend most of summer hibernating inside and looking forward to autumn, but the last few days I’ve felt a very gentle shift in the weather, and it has reminded me that summer won’t be here for long. The days are a now a fraction shorter and the evenings ever-so-slightly cooler, the peaches and nectarines have all finished on the fruit trees and there have been a few nights this week where we haven’t needed to switch the fan on.

Before we know it the mornings will be frosty, the days will be short and dark, the nights will be bitter cold, and wrapped up in a cocoon of crochet blankets and cups of tea, I’ll be craving just a little warmth and sunshine. So rather than count down the days until the end of the season, I’m going to do my best to soak up and enjoy the end half of this summer, with walks in the sunshine, strawberries fresh out of the garden and bowls of melty icecream. After all, nothing lasts forever. Summer fades. Autumn will be here soon enough.

Tags: , , , ,

Katie is a coffee-drinking, granny square-making, op-shopping daydreamer. Katie likes vintage dresses, Pictionary, doilies and colourful tights. Katie's raspberry baked cheesecake will rock your socks off.

18 Responses to “Summer Fades”

1. Frau DingDong February 10, 2012 at 11:53 am #

this is so strange to read about summer!
    Because here (europe) it IS frosty, dark and bitter cold ;)

2. Ally February 10, 2012 at 2:38 pm #

It’s so weird to hear another Australian talking about Summer! In Sydney we did not get Summer. We just got 6 months of Spring. Lots of rain, lots of mugginess, not much sun. I am so sad, I love Summer.

3. Jenna February 10, 2012 at 3:20 pm #

Being a summer gal myself, I’ve gotten lucky seeing as the Midwest USA has been having the warmest winter in ages! I’ve been sporting my colorful tights and skirts all the way into February when normally I should be wearing layers of socks! It sounds like a beautiful time of year in Bendigo right now though =}

4. Miss Minty February 10, 2012 at 3:49 pm #

You can have the chilly stuff back. ;) It’s getting to be close to spring here (east coast of the US).

Happy weekend!

5. trishie February 10, 2012 at 5:44 pm #

Wow! what lovely photos. I just want to take a bite of those beautiful strawberries.

6. Mel February 10, 2012 at 9:44 pm #

I hatehatehate summer usually. It seriously gets me down badly when it is sunny and hot, so this summer has been pretty kind to me.
    Bring on more rain and cold – happy weather! :)

Katie February 11, 2012 at 8:52 am #

Hehe, I’m so glad I’m not the only one! Most people think it’s really weird that I don’t much like summer and I LOVE the rain! :)

7. Kitty February 10, 2012 at 11:25 pm #

Ive been so sour about weird Melbourne summer (this is my first summer in Melbourne) that Ive forgotten to enjoy the warm weather before the whole place turns into a snow globe.
    Thank you for helping me see the sunlight.
    Glass half full.
    Kitty

Katie February 11, 2012 at 8:50 am #

We’re new to Victoria and finding the weather here super strange too… At least summer is shorter and less humid than in QLD (where we are originally from). I am grateful for that! :)

8. Louise @ Elsie May and Bertha February 11, 2012 at 6:31 am #

You’re like me, I don’t like it when it’s too hot. I just like gentle warm breeze and soft sunlight, being able to go out without a coat but needing a cardi.

Katie February 11, 2012 at 8:47 am #

Yes, that’s exactly it! I don’t much like when it’s so cold you need a big coats and scarf, just when it’s cool enough to wear a cardigan and the sunshine is gentle and lovely! I wish we could have autumn weather all year round! :)

9. Liz February 11, 2012 at 10:28 am #

Wow what a strange feeling, that someone else is having summer while I am experiencing winter! So you call it summertime, too? Very interesting. Sometimes in the US its easy to forget that things are different elsewhere. :)

Great photos!

10. Stitchybritt February 11, 2012 at 3:00 pm #

You’ve described it so well… I too am a winterphile, and it’s great to hear others get that fustrated, down feeling when the weather is hot. I too spend my summers hiding indoors waiting to be able to put on my tights and boots and venture out into the beautiful crisp air of autumn. But you’re right Katie, we should try to appreciate all the seasons as they all come and go as they’re supposed to, and I do appreciate the garden growing that happens in summer.

I must say though, I’ve been so glad that Sydney has ‘skipped’ summer this year. Only half a month to go and I’m praying it rains that whole time.

11. Marnie February 13, 2012 at 1:30 am #

These pictures are breathtaking and I love this blog. I’m in Florida and two days ago I was on the beach sweating and today there is a high of 55 degrees. Cold for us. Enjoy the beautiful weather!

12. Mike February 13, 2012 at 5:19 am #

Love the photos…especially the tomatoes. I am a tomato ‘freak’. Cannot get enough of them.

And…cannot wait until we start gardening again. We had a ton of fun last year…hope we can have even more fun (and more produce) this year.

: – )

13. Sam February 13, 2012 at 12:56 pm #

It’s so lovely to hear about other people who don’t love summer!

I love sunny days with a frosty breeze – perfect for sitting in the grass rugged up with a cup of tea and a book. I love crunchy autumn leaves. I love being able to cook delicious things without overheating having to stand in front of the stove or oven. I love soup!

(We are getting married this autumn, and it will be that much more wonderful because i can wear a cardigan, and feel alive with the cool air nipping our ankles as we say our vows)

Your photos are beautiful, and show the best bits of summer, but bring on autumn i say!

14. robbie. February 16, 2012 at 4:05 am #

yeah. i just can’t handle the heat. i love to wear as many layers as possible. i love fresh bread and fireplaces. summer is not for me, either :-)

15. Krysten February 18, 2012 at 2:45 am #

And here I can’t wait for summer because in the US (especially here in Wisconsin) it’s freezing!

But then once summer gets here I’ll be aching for fall!