In our Kitchen

\

Lately, in our kitchen, we’ve been taking more time to plan our meals and cook from scratch.

We’ve been feasting on Broccoli and Basil Mac and Cheese, Pumkin and Feta Muffins and Broccoli Cheddar Soup from our favourite food blog.

We’ve been munching on fresh figs and plums from some local markets.

We’ve been planning to make this cake with the leftover plums. (First seen here.)

We’ve been eating lots of our favourite easy peasy pasta, as well as our favourite quick lentil dish on nights when we are tired.

We’ve been a little better at finishing up our leftovers.

We’re still a long, long way off achieving all the foodie plans and goals we talked about in this post, but we are trying to be better. Baby steps.

What’s been happening in your kitchen lately?

PS This post was inspired by this one.

Tags: , , , , ,

Katie is a coffee-drinking, granny square-making, op-shopping daydreamer. Katie likes vintage dresses, Pictionary, doilies and colourful tights. Katie's raspberry baked cheesecake will rock your socks off.

19 Responses to “In our Kitchen”

1. Julie February 14, 2012 at 7:34 pm #

I’m coming to Bendigo next month. I may invite my self for dinner!!

2. Jane @ Shady Baker February 14, 2012 at 7:51 pm #

Hello there…I have just found you guys and love your blog :) All the delights in your kitchen look delicious!

In my kitchen this arvo….home made vanilla bean icecream! My hubby & I are going to test it out later this evening with some of the very first figs we have picked from our tree, roasted with a little honey :)

Katie February 15, 2012 at 10:07 am #

Oh my goodness, that sounds AMAZING! Yummo.

3. Melanie February 14, 2012 at 9:27 pm #

I love soups…and I’m highly addicted to cheddar. So that soup sounds soooo good! the cake looks like such a treat too. I can’t wait for it to be plum season here again. I just love plums. Thanks for sharing the food blog. I’m always on the search for new ones :)

I’m totally dreading my kitchen these days, my flat mate has been working a lot and not doing anything around the house. After two weeks of cleaning up after her I got sick of it…..so except for tee and coffee I have been escaping to my boyfriends kitchen ^^
    waaaay to much dirty dishes in my house.It’s a shame that such a wonderful thing like cooking has to involve such a terrible thing as dirty dishes. I just hate doing dishes ^^

Katie February 15, 2012 at 10:07 am #

I love soups too! That Broccoli and Cheddar soup is SO good. Highly recommend it! That’s no good about your flatmate – I really hope things get better soon! And I totally agree about doing the dishes. The dishes are definitely my least favourite chore too!

4. Pocky February 15, 2012 at 4:39 am #

We’ve been dealing with too many other chaotic events to enjoy some time in the kitchen, but I hope all that is coming to an end soon. Not sure I can take many more emergencies (& our bank account can’t either). Thanks for linking to your favorite recipe site. I’m trying to get better about our grocery spending & what we buy with that money, so I’ve been searching for some great recipes to add to my collection for menu planning.

Can’t wait to see more of your kitchen adventures! They are so inspiring & look wonderfully tasty!

Katie February 15, 2012 at 10:08 am #

Hope things are better soon Pocky! xo

5. Bean February 15, 2012 at 5:08 am #

Hey…I love reading your blog! All this looks and sounds very delicious….I’m quite interested in the pumpkin and feta muffins and may have to give these a whirl. Looking forward to reading more….

6. Ivory February 15, 2012 at 8:56 am #

Yum! I love broccoli and will have to try your broccoli mac and cheese! I’ve been making lots of pavlovas with summer fruits. Devine :)

Ivory xx

Katie February 15, 2012 at 10:08 am #

Oh, I LOVE pavlova! It’s the perfect summer treat! :)

7. Vivi K February 15, 2012 at 12:18 pm #

These photos are so beautiful!
    I love food posts! :)

8. lesjolisjours February 16, 2012 at 1:30 am #

hi Katie and Reuben I discovered your blog last week and I really love it ! It inspires me a post on my baby blog few days ago. We live in France, in a little house in Tours. We cook a lot with my lover and we adore simple and good things. Last week-end we cooked a “pot au feu”. Do you know what it is ? We like crafty things and vintage things. We have lot of common points..! Except we have a nice doc named Endy who doesn’t like very much cats..!
    My blog is about nice things I find on the web..
    Sorry, my english is no very good, I try to progress…
    See you later ! Sylvine

9. Bekuh February 16, 2012 at 7:54 am #

My husband and I have been doing a lot more cooking at home lately too! I’m accrediting it to a new book I received at Christmas, the Everlasting Meal. We basically use every part of everything until there’s no nutrients left to give. I highly recommend it.

10. MoMo February 18, 2012 at 7:14 am #

Your kitchen sounds/looks yummy!

11. Leah February 19, 2012 at 8:57 am #

yum everything looks delicious! Lately i’ve been really into stir fry and spinach noodles :)

12. B February 19, 2012 at 8:46 pm #

Hmmm, let us see. our garden is taking off – especially the lettuce! So lots of salad with rocket which is also going crazy in the garden. We teamed it with haloumi, of course! We turned out influx of basil into basil chicken mmmmm!

I’m so ready to make this pumpkin and fetta muffin you are talking about, yum yum yum! And I haven’t tried it yet!

bxx

13. Lesley Jean February 20, 2012 at 5:53 am #

Before I ran off for vacation I felt good about cooking more from scratch and making healthy choices. Going away has a way of ruining the best laid plans. :) A pastry here, pasta there. Pretzels and chocolate and tirimisu and wine! All lovely but bad for my waistline. While I was away my husband and children ate horribly, too! I vowed to get us back on the right track and spent this morning (after selling my kidney for the moola) at Whole Foods stocking up. I am planning a whole healthy week of eating! I commend you guys. Looks like you are on the right track! :)

14. inkberryblue March 5, 2012 at 6:33 pm #

Thank you so much for linking to your easy peasy pasta recipe. It is absolutely delicious and fabulously simple to make. I cooked it for guests last night and they loved it too. I
    t’s also a great way of using up an abundance of home grown basil. =>
    Love your blog!

Katie March 5, 2012 at 8:47 pm #

Oh, that is so good to hear! We eat that pasta all the time and abosolutely love it to bits! It is the easiest thing in the world :)