Ziggy Stardust

Before Christmas, when we drew names out of a hat for the Secret Santa at my work, I was lucky enough to get a good friend of mine. I immediately new exactly what to get her. She’s a massive David Bowie fan so naturally, I had to make her a Ziggy Stardust doll!

I kept the pattern simple because I didn’t have much time to work on it. I usually spend a ridiculous amount of time on each project I do, because I fiddle with details so much, but this one came together quite smoothly.

Ziggy is constructed of felt and measures about 30cm tall. His hair is made of some of the yarn I got for my birthday, and for his eyes I used one blue and one brown button, to match the real David Bowie.

When we unwrapped our gifts, I was surprised to see that my gift had been handmade as well! I received a little wallet made from a page of a Where’s Wally book.

I was pretty impressed. Handmade gifts are just so awesome. There is nothing better than knowing someone has put the time and effort into making you something that is special and one-of-a-kind.

Did you do a Secret Santa this Christmas? What did you give? What did you get? I’d love to hear about it!

Reuben :D

Tags: , , , , ,

Reuben

About Reuben

Reuben is a green thumb with a knitting machine for a brain. He likes dinosaurs, The Beatles and homebrew (among many other things).

19 Responses to “Ziggy Stardust”

1. Megan Leslianne January 6, 2012 at 11:13 pm #

David Bowie actually has two blue eyes. It’s a common misconception that his left eye is brown. He just appears to have two different coloured eyes due to the pupil in his left eye being permanently dilated (giving the illusion of a brown iris). Anything to the contrary is thanks to Photoshop!

• Reuben
      Reuben January 7, 2012 at 1:01 am #

That is true, but it was hard to portray a dilated pupil in button form :)

2. Amanda January 6, 2012 at 11:20 pm #

Wow. Just wow. Am loving the Bowie-tasticness here!

3. Fran January 6, 2012 at 11:57 pm #

Wow Reuben! Ziggy is amazing! Your friend at work must have been over the moon! The where’s wally wallet is incredible too!

4. elycia January 7, 2012 at 12:20 am #

I loooove this so much! David Bowie is so awesome, he came out fantastic!

5. Zoe January 7, 2012 at 1:07 am #

That is so cool! I love Bowie so much!

6. Pocky January 7, 2012 at 2:23 am #

It looks amazing! There’s no way I could throw something together quickly & come out with that.

We don’t do Secret Santa at work, but then again…if we did, I doubt anyone around the Zombie Job would appreciate a handmade item. So I guess I’m glad we don’t do that around here, because I love putting time & love into the gifts I give.

BTW, love love love the wallet!

7. Floss January 7, 2012 at 5:50 am #

The likeness is incredble! What a fantastic gift. I haven’t done a Secret Santa since I left the UK – they don’t seem to be a French thing. But they are a really good way of keeping the fun in Christmas while avoiding the excess spending. Homemade is, of course, best!

8. Gillian January 7, 2012 at 7:02 am #

Amazing work! Ziggy is awesome!

Also, I had no idea that it was called “Where’s Wally” elsewhere…I’m used to it as Where’s Waldo. Apparently that’s the localization of the names for Canada and the US. Random fact!

Katie January 7, 2012 at 11:28 am #

Yes! We knew you guys called it “Where’s Waldo” from watching American TV shows, but never really understood why! Is Waldo even a real name?!

9. sian January 7, 2012 at 7:09 am #

i love this!

10. Louise @ Elsie May and Bertha January 7, 2012 at 8:06 am #

I love making presents for people, especially close family/friends. I think people really appreciate the time you put into a handmade gift. I love getting one myself as well.

11. Nicole @ Canine Thespian January 7, 2012 at 9:53 am #

Wow Reuben, that doll is absolutely incredible. You should really have a shop!

12. robbie. January 7, 2012 at 2:20 pm #

damnit, reuben! that’s amazing! our whole shop does vintage and handmade gifts, so we all did quite well :-)

13. Lisa January 8, 2012 at 11:42 am #

Wow – that doll is just so cool! (Especially the hair!) And a homemade gift in return? *Too* awesome! We don’t do secret Santa at work, but we do have a yearly craft fair which is pretty amazing ^_^

14. Shinypigeon January 12, 2012 at 4:32 am #

Amazing!
    I love handmade presents. I am a little bit in love with that Where’s Wally wallet. Uh-Maze-Ing

15. Em January 15, 2012 at 4:32 pm #

Absolutely fantastic! And what a wonderful wallet too, what a lovely gift to receive!

16. Jessi February 9, 2012 at 6:05 am #

oh that is awesome! My daughter are big Labyrinth fans – a little costume change and hair colour and he’d be set

Katie February 9, 2012 at 9:21 am #

That is an AMAZING idea! If you do it, please share a pic with us! We both love Labyrinth :)