The Things We Eat

(A super yummy dinner from last week; mushrooms baked with basil pesto and parmesan, salad and rockmelon.)

We’ve been thinking about food a lot lately. Our food choices have a big impact on our health, our lifestyle and our footprint on the earth and we believe that fresh, local produce and good, real stuff cooked from scratch is what’s best for us and what’s best for this big, beautiful planet. Unfortunately, it’s not always easy. Like lovely Kate said in this great post, “unless you prioritise food, the more often you end up taking short cuts and finding yourself with some not so great food habits”. We’re guilty of that. Lately we really haven’t made food a priority and that’s something that needs to change.

Ideally we would like to grow as much as our own food as possible and source the rest from local (preferably organic) producers, but at the moment, 95% of the time our food comes from the supermarket. We’re terrible at planning our meals ahead and most nights we grab something easy from the shops on the way home from work. Supermarkets are cheap and convenient, but unfortunately in return for discount prices and long open hours, you get fruit and vegetables that have been sprayed with chemicals, picked too early, travelled long distances and left in refrigeration too long. As well as the quality of the produce being questionable, we don’t like the way the big supermarkets treat farmers (when you consider how cheap the supermarkets are selling produce, imagine how little the farmers are getting) and we believe the type of agriculture required to produce such vast, cheap quanties of food, is seriously bad news for the environment. We want to support local farmers who are focusing on growing real, nutritious, delicious food without the nasty chemicals, but when we shop at Coles and Woolies, we aren’t doing that.

At this point in time we can’t grow much food for ourselves. Our backyard is tiny, the soil is poor and the sunshine is limited. Being self sufficient might not be an option right now, but that doesn’t mean we can’t shop and eat better. We realise that where we spend our money and what we choose to eat is entirely our own responsibility. We need to start supporting the food producers we believe in, making more time to visit local markets for produce, and going to places like the locally owned wholefoods store in place of a chain supermarket. Buying our groceries this way will likely be a little more expensive (and not as convenient) but we have to consider the greater cost of food from the supermarket. Spending a bit extra on our produce will hopefully also make us a bit more mindful of how we spend our money and the food we waste. Though we live on a very limited budget, sometimes we are quite wasteful. We buy too much of something when it’s super cheap or it seems like a good idea at the time, and then we don’t get around to eating the food before it goes bad. Hopefully buying better quality food will also make us less inclined to waste it (we hate to think how many pieces of supemarket fruit we have thrown out simply because they were tasteless and horrible!) So in the long run paying more for our fruit and veggies might not actually cost us much more at all.

We don’t expect to change our grocery shopping habits completely overnight (and we suspect there will always be some things we have to visit Coles and Woolies for) but it is something we are mindful of and something we are (slowly) working on.

Where do you buy your fresh produce from? Is this something you think about? Does where your food comes from matter to you? Do you have any tips for recovering supermarket addicts like us? We’d love to hear your thoughts!

If you’re interested in finding out more about why we believe Coles and Woolies are bad news, this short video is a good place to start. Pretty scary stuff.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

44 Responses to “The Things We Eat”

1. jazziefizzle January 24, 2012 at 10:06 am #

Great post guys!! I am in the same constant dilemma, especially also being on a limited budget. I love going to the farmers market and talking to the growers (or even the re-sellers) and it is still very reasonably priced (at this stage I don’t buy organic as the student budget just doesn’t permit that).

Unfortunately, like you said, the convenience factor just isn’t there. It means being organised to get up on a sunday morning, have cash on you and plan meals well enough to buy everything you need. In saying that, I am always SO happy when I do make the time and effort to go to the farmers market (not to mention all the benefits you have talked about in your post about not buying from supermarkets).

I wish there was a better local fruit and veg shop as I am willing to pay a little more for amazing quality, but the one nearby us is a ‘discount’ one which I find substandard, even compared to supermarket produce :(

I am planning to trial a delivery service where they send you a box of fruit and veg, but I am concerned about potential waste – maybe it will be better when we have a juicer so we can use the produce before it goes off.

My biggest thing is meal planning and shopping from a list, as well as freezing left overs or ingredients that can be frozen (eg. peeled bananas, other fruit, herbs). Living in a rental we are unable to plant the veggie garden that I would love to have, but we have potted herbs, cherry tomatoes and snow peas. I have also done volunteer work in a community garden before in exchange for produce. So much fun, I wonder if there is one near you??

Whoa sorry for the massive comment but I suppose I could write a whole post about this too – good luck with your endeavours and I hope you keep us updated! Give growing herbs in pots a go, you save lots of money, pick as you go and the flavours are unbeatable!

Katie January 25, 2012 at 9:27 am #

Don’t apologise for the long comment, we love it! We tried an organic fruit and veg delivery service while we were living in Sydney and it was quite good, though a little bit inconsistent. I think it’s a great option when you’re time poor (which sadly, we usually are) so definitely need to find out if it’s an option here in Bendigo. Oh and we struggle with getting out of bed early on weekends and going to the markets too! If only the markets were on in the afternoon instead…

2. Nicole January 24, 2012 at 10:08 am #

Ugh, Coles and Woolies, on top of being evil, are also more expensive than many of the local suppliers they attempt to put out of business. Where I live, in Redfern, we finally got a small independent produce merchant who brings in fruit and vegetables from the markets everyday. Often it is stuff that is close to the end of its cycle meaning that rather than getting thrown away it gets sold off cheaply out front of the store. It is a challenge to find uses for these random assortments of fruit and vegetables but one that is good for preventing waste of both food and money.

Good luck with your challenge, it’s one that’s very important.

xx Nicole

3. Dulce January 24, 2012 at 10:26 am #

great post, i never thought about the impact of the food, specially because most of the product we use are natural, the vegetables and the fruit, we live in a place where all this products are abundant and with a lot of varieties to chose, we don’t eat a lot of meat or chicken, my mom go every saturday or sunday to the farmers market, that’s where she bought most of our food.
    Seriously you made me think about what am i eating, and what can i do to help more our planet.

4. Nicole January 24, 2012 at 10:34 am #

It’s true that it seems to be a constant battle between convenience and conscious consumption. I found a fruit and veg co-op in my area, where local farmers pooled together and divvied up their produce each week — all I had to do was pay a lump sum at the beginning of the season and remember to pick up my loot each week! Maybe that’s something you could look into, or organize yourself!

5. Veggie Mama January 24, 2012 at 10:47 am #

I meal plan every week and put it on the blog on Sundays… It has been the best thing I ever did! I buy pantry staples at Coles online, and fresh fruit and veg from a great (and cheap) place down the road every week. I also grow stuff. My worst problem is failing to store the produce before it goes bad (blanch and freeze veggies) so end up with more waste than I’d like :-/

6. Zoe January 24, 2012 at 11:25 am #

This year we’re making an effort to go to a farmers market every saturday when Matt is home, and then using or freezing everything we buy within the week. I cringe to think how much food we’ve wasted over the last few years, food we’ve bought with something in mind but never got around to making. We’re lucky that we have guinea-pigs though, old fruit and veggies go to them, so it never feels like a total waste, because the pigs make compost for the vegies we grow ourselves!

Katie January 25, 2012 at 8:53 am #

Isn’t it awful when you think about all the food you waste? It makes me feel absolutely terrible. We MUST stop wasting food! And maybe we should get some guinea-pigs… ;)

7. Michelle January 24, 2012 at 11:29 am #

That salad looks amazing!

8. Lahra January 24, 2012 at 11:48 am #

You could try Bendigo Wholefoods, it is in the centre of town and a GREAT source of organics and just good bult foods, farmers markets are always great but with Bendigo’s only once a month not a sustainable way of shopping. Perhaps a fruit and veg crate, there is one that delivers to Bendigo from Campbells Creek, I found that it had too much veg and not enough fruit, we love fruit and with young children I seem to find they eat fruit over veg and that is a compramise I am willing to accept.
    I personally have Green Goes the Grocer, they also do a weekly delivery to Bendigo of Organic food, just email an order and they deliver to you, lovely folk too.
    I should grow my own food, have the space but not the time or energy, so I do the next best thing and buy organic. I shall get organised one day to grow my own. I do grow herbs and couldn’t live without my kitchen herb garden to pick out of for most meals.

Planning is the way to go, do a meal menu planner, even borrow a couple of foodie mags from the library to give your diet a bit of a pep up and make it interesting. If you don’t like the restrictions eating a certain thing on a certain night, try just making a list of meals you will have and select one from the list each night then cross it off.

Hope this helps :)

Katie January 25, 2012 at 8:58 am #

We LOVE Bendigo Wholefoods! The only problem is our habit of leaving our shopping until after work, when Bendigo Wholefoods is closed. We really need to get more organised, plan our meals and make a weekly trip there to buy all the things we need in one go. We love the Farmers Markets and so wish it were on every week! Thanks for suggesting Campbells Creek and Green Goes the Grocer – I hadn’t heard of them before so off to look them up! You’ve been VERY helpful! :)

9. Joy January 24, 2012 at 5:36 pm #

Well said you two, my thoughts exactly, though I would also raise the question of why we do not need to eat meat…for both ethical and religious reasons.

Love the stuffed Portobello Mushrooms, one of our favourites

10. Deidre January 24, 2012 at 6:19 pm #

This is something that I think about constantly. Inspector Climate and I shop for fresh food (and a lot of canned and frozen as well), at the prahran market where there is an organic vegigie shop.

We try to buy as little as possible at coles and woolies, but end up mostly buying our diary there because it is so expensive at the organic shop and we eat so much of it – but even then we are picky in what we buy!

I find menu planning for the week really does help!

Katie January 25, 2012 at 9:01 am #

Yes, Dairy is hard! We eat quite a lot of it too and the organic stuff does tend to be really, really expensive. Like you, at the moment all out dairy comes from the supermarket but we try to buy organic, free range where ever possible.

11. Tony January 24, 2012 at 6:22 pm #

Great work you guys! We planted out a vegetable garden this year, but it was a bit late really so hasn’t been terribly productive, but we’re hoping for better results after summer. I’d love to start making preserves, to use what we can grow or buy seasonal gluts at the market. Wayne has been making bread for the past month, so much better than store bought! I also need to start thing about menu planning like Veggiemama, we still waste too much…

Katie January 25, 2012 at 9:03 am #

Yes, our poor little first attempt at a veg patch has really struggled in the heat and most of our tomatoes have cooked on the vine! :( Hoping for better a season next time. Homemade bread is the best thing in universe! We always have either homemade bread or bread from the local sourdough bakery. We haven’t bought supermarket bread since we left Sydney and it’s been great!

12. diane January 24, 2012 at 6:25 pm #

i live in california – sonoma county to be specific – and we’re wildly passionate about our local farmers here. we adore them!

a few quick thoughts:

meal planning radically shifted my life + my eating habits. i keep it simple – fifteen minutes each sunday night. i geeked out and made my own personalized little template. the practice helps me make better choices, be more thoughtful, waste less.

i also slowly worked on building a well-stocked pantry. each week i would add one or two staples (vinegars, spices, grains, etc.) until i had a pantry that allowed me to whip things up anytime, easily!

last year i tried something new: i visited the farmer’s market on sunday with a set budget of cash in my pocket. i bought everything i could with that money – whatever looked lovely, delicious, colorful, healthy! then, on sunday evening i would make a simple meal plan that incorporated those fresh ingredients and only required me to get certain elements from the grocery store.

best wishes on your journey with food! xo

Katie January 25, 2012 at 9:04 am #

I love these ideas Diane, thanks for sharing! :)

13. Michelle Clement January 24, 2012 at 8:23 pm #

Love this – it’s something that’s on my mind, a lot! We try to visit farmers markets in the summer as much as possible, but it’s still an expensive option for my student budget…(sigh). We’re hoping to plant a garden in the summer and see what we can get, now that we have a yard…but in the meantime are visiting the smaller locally owned shops and buying organic and from-happy-creatures things if we do have to go to the grocery store. :)

14. Caro January 24, 2012 at 8:49 pm #

Thankyou to each of you. I feel like my own thoughts have been laid out succinctly in this forum. If you’re in the bendigo area you might also like to support peppergreen farm’s initiatives, bendigo organics which has just reopened, or the community garden behind spencers cafe.

15. Stitchybritt January 24, 2012 at 10:10 pm #

Guys, you could totally start a veggie co-op with some households in your area – because buying quality food is cheaper in bulk. I blogged about how to set one up here http://www.stitchybritt.blogspot.com/2011/02/vegies.html?m=1

16. Kelly January 24, 2012 at 11:16 pm #

great post as always, did u see “the people’s supermarket” when it was on tv the last few weeks? you should iview it if you missed it. it was a great series.
    x

Katie January 25, 2012 at 9:05 am #

Oh, will have to look that up! Thanks for the tip Kel! :)

17. Chris (From You to Y'all) January 24, 2012 at 11:19 pm #

My running group meets every Satuday at the local Co-op (bulk grains, fresh fruits and vegetables, etc) and after our run we all go in together for coffee and a little shopping. It’s fun, we all share recipe ideas, and we support locally produced food!

18. Chris (From You to Y'all) January 24, 2012 at 11:22 pm #

p.s. I agree with Diane, keeping a really well stocked pantry of staple items makes food shopping much easier. It doesn’t seem nearly as overwhelming if I want to make a new recipe and only need to buy one or two specialty ingredients, as opposed to buying everything on the list all at once. I always keep spices, rice, onions, garlic, etc.

19. Louise January 25, 2012 at 1:03 am #

I have the same problem! I never plan my meals until the afternoon of. I really don’t have a green thumb at all so growing anything that isn’t parsley is a failed plan.

BUT while I’ve started to care about not shopping at Coles and Woolies, so have my friends. There’s a few cheap markets around Perth which means that we can have our usual catch ups of brunch or a morning at the beach, then head to the markets to get a weeks worth of fruit and veg together.

I’m still useless at planning my meals in advance, but at least I have a fridge full of food to work off and I can avoid spending time in the major supermarkets.

20. Melanie January 25, 2012 at 1:05 am #

Love this post!

I suffer from Crohns Desease and food plays a major part in this illness. I had to have surgery at the end of last year and am now rethinking my food choices again.

I live with a tiny tiny tiny budget and it is so hard making the right food choices knowing I could have the same and only pay a quarter of what I do in the organic local store. It is super hard and I just can’t buy organic all the time the way I want to.

I do however try to buy organic as much as I can. We have a couple of wonderful organic supermarkets around my place where you can get everything and mostly even local. I usually have half organic and half supermarket……just doesn’t work otherwise

I was raised on the country side where you basically know exactly where your food comes from ( I remember walking to a farmer in my little village and getting fresh, out of the cow, milk every other day. It was still warm!!!)

Now I living in the most densely populated area in Germany…I quit eating a lot of things. For one, meat. Apart from killing a animal to eat it, I do not believe that the meat you can buy in a supermarket is healthy for you…it is full of antibiotics stress-hormons and plain old bad karma! And it’s like that with a lot of foods.

anyway

One of my goals for this year is making a meal-plan every week. Planning it on sunday (keeping things leftover in mind) and then buying everything I need for the week on monday. I’m only in my second week of really doing this…but I have already realized how much good is does me and my food planning. I buy less, eat better and all in all just have a better overall look about my groceries that I buy. (This one week I already saw major differences)

To really stick with it, I even started blogging my weekly meal plan on mondays and share new recipes I’ve tried etc.

Food is essential to our health and I think it is so, so, so, important to really think about what you eat and where you purchase it.

Loved all your thoughts up above.

xoxoxo
    Melanie

Katie January 25, 2012 at 9:20 am #

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences Melanie! Your childhood in the country sounds absolutely ideal to us :) We feel the same way as you about meat and have been vegetarian for a few years now. We are definitely going to start meal planning too!

21. kit January 25, 2012 at 3:34 am #

Hi lovely peeps
    Having the same chat with my lovely chap, spookily enough. I was in the hospital emergency dept last week rigged to a heart monitor- scary-BUT an infection not a heart attack. So resting and having an opportunity to think through life a bit more clearly. We have been so busy with work and other things that the first thing to go is decent food choices. We often snack and then eat quickly prepped stuff, and i’m sure my health has suffered as a result. Too much sweet stuff, too much processed food etc.
    This is how to regain your positive food choice power! We are going to do it ( and we know we always feel better when we do)-do you guys fancy doiong it alongside for a month and we can support each other?
    Make a week long menu with interchangeable dishes on it eg don’t say its Tuesday so it has to be veggie curry or nothing, I work out 7 main meals, some things for lunches and healthy ‘snacks’ and things for packed lunches/picnics.
    Then I go to a food co-op and buy ONLY whats on the list if I can, I also try and include a little of what we’ve grown ourselves-even if its just basil in tomato soup every day if you eat a bit of your own produce it feels great! Promise!
    I write the menu on a blackboard so we can decide what we want to eat and who wants to cook it on the day. This may be easier for us as we’re veggie, I don’t know. Sometimes its really simple like beans on toast with a poached egg on top, sometimes goats cheese linguine ( posh!).
    I have a huge collection of cookery books which we look through for inspiration, mostly 2nd hand.
    I always try and make a bit extra to freeze or to share if poss so you can have mates round whenever!
    any help?
    loadslove from rainy blighty
    kit :) x

Katie January 25, 2012 at 9:17 am #

We’re vegetarian too! And we do grow out own herbs, tomatoes, pumpkins and a few other things, but sadly they have all really struggled over summer, so while we get a few things here and there from the garden, it isn’t enough to make a real dent. We definitely need to start meal planning and doing all our grocery shopping all in one go. I really think that’s they key to making serious change in our eating habits. I love the idea of doing it together! :)

22. Louise @ Elsie May and Bertha January 25, 2012 at 6:06 am #

I always plan our meals for the week, and we keep to it mostly. We have a veg box from Riverford every fortnight. Since doing this we’re eating more veg. The rest of our shopping mainly does come from supermarketsbuy we try to buy free range or organic. Since money has become tighter my shopping and cooking have actually got better, with having to be more careful, having less.waste etc.

23. Melissa January 25, 2012 at 7:11 am #

Fantastic post! Has anyone watched Bill Mollison’s film called In Grave Danger of Falling Food? It is on YouTube I think and was so inspiring to see him set up a permaculture garden on an apartment balcony. My family and I were living in the suburbs then and had set up a small vegetable garden there and it fed us and taught us a lot about the value of food. We have our own land now and have a huge garden which has gone through many phases over the last 9 years. We live at least 20 minutes drive from a supermarket and 100 km from Woolworths – all of our shopping is staple foods bought in bulk. If we don’t have the ingredients, we do without until the next shopping trip. Aside from that, the garden is our pantry. We have a small herd of goats that we milk seasonally and occasionally provides us with meat. We do hunt wallaby or buy it from local sources. Either way I make that meat last for as many meals as possible and make stock from the bones. The way we live is thoughtful, but not ‘perfect’ or impact free – we try, reassess and change where necessary – and I think that the process is also organic and valuable. :)

Katie January 25, 2012 at 9:12 am #

Wow, we will definitely have a look at that film. It sounds amazing! I don’t think anyone’s lifestyle is perfect or 100% impact free, but being thoughtful about things does make a big difference, to both the world around us and own lives. Every positive little change we can make helps because it all adds up. The way you live your life sounds so inspiring! Thank you for sharing :)

24. Amanda January 25, 2012 at 8:00 am #

Well put!

This is something that I am also trying to work on but am meeting some resistance from my other half. We have an amazing farmer’s markets on every Saturday morning where the produce is delicious and fresh but it is a 40 minute drive away and it means getting up rather early. This does not work so well with the night owl other half. On the plus side, I’m starting to get there myself and the produce I bring home is so good even he is impressed. It may be little steps but we’ll get there in the end. And the tomato plants we have out the back are helping as well. So good!

25. diana January 25, 2012 at 11:28 am #

have you thought about joining a csa? we get a huge box delivered and it saves us time and money. plus with going vegan, it’s a lot cheaper and food is always in our fridge rather than having to wonder what processed foods to prepare.

Katie January 25, 2012 at 5:43 pm #

Unfortunately CSA’s aren’t very common in Australia, like they are in the US. I really, really wish they were!

26. B January 25, 2012 at 9:00 pm #

Organic living has recently become more important to me after the birth if my son seven months ago. I also read an article explaining how even newborn babies have been found to have pesticides in their blood, just from their mother being exposed to it by eating or well there are lots of ways.

We have put in a veggie patch and well frankly as u said sometimes u just out of necessity end up going to a supermarket, so we wash well. But thanks to inspiring posts such as this I’m determined to find a source of more reliable organic produce. Like u say it’s hard if u don’t have time to plan fresh meals in advance!

Working on all this!

Bxx

27. Beki January 26, 2012 at 1:32 am #

When we have time (and energy!) to walk up to a local high street there is a lovely greengrocers we shop at for fruit and veg. Although being students we’re on a budget, we appreciate having nice food, but it’s actually way cheaper for almost all fresh things there! Plus, the best bit is the atmosphere – it’s quite a small shop, but it’s so calm inside, and you can pick out the things you like the look of – I remember doing something similar when I was little but all those sort of shops seem a lot rarer even a few years later.

I think it’s a really good idea to try and shop for local produce – makes much more sense, and seasonal food tastes a lot better too!

28. Federica January 26, 2012 at 6:54 pm #

First of all: my first comment on this amazing blog that I’ve been following since forever, but all the great things I’d say on it have already been said ;)

Since I live in Venice, being it a city built on water and bricks, there’s no place for cultivating and I’m kinda picky on the fresh grocery I buy – even without being vegetarian. But I do eat a lot of vegetables, and I always go to local seller of fresh things, ’cause there are just two small chains of supermarkets in the city, even though I may have to go more often than if I’d buy them at the stores.
    But back at my parents’ home they have a big yard with two vegetable gardens and fruit trees, so when I go visit them I always “shop” from my dad’s hard work, and I have to say that they are the best thing to eat :) and since Italy is pretty generous with climate, we can have a very abundant harvest!
    My grandma is from southern Italy and along with her husband they own a small production of olive oil and tomato sauce – which I used to to go and help produce when I was a child on holidays (being that town so small that there are no other entertainments for kids!) – and from time to time she sends me from there packages full of home-made things :)

I haven’t had very wealthy food habits since I stopped swimming and started living on my own in Venice studying, ’cause college timetables often set me off for lunch and I have to grab something to eat in 15 minutes in between the lessons. But after being more accustomed to the city and my time span of every day, I started planning more wealthy eating habits – also thanks to my dad’s effort into planting seeds of all the seasonal veggies I wanted to eat :)

Recently in Italy we have some so called “km 0″ local activities which feature a person sharing his/her own self-cultivated goods with people who wants to buy them. Which means that of course you can’t find bananas, since they don’t grow in Italy, but you have guardantees of really fresh food.

So my suggestions and awe go all to local products, especially if you know who cultivates and sells them.

Xoxoxo
    and a lots of hugs and compliments again

29. emma January 27, 2012 at 2:28 pm #

Love love loveeee this post!
    i’ve been giving this a LOT of thought lately too – I hate the monopoly of our supermarkets (okay… duopoly), the fact that our choices are being so limited (practically everything on the shelf is a supermarket owned brand!) and the produce which is both expensive and sub-par.
    Just last week we forced ourselves up and out to our local market and paid $4.90 for a tonne of produce – amazing!
    Problem was we (.. okay I) didn’t think through what we were going to make with it all so I have to admit to a bit of waste and a quick supermarket visit to supplement what we had.
    BUT now you’ve totally inspired to work out what we’re going to cook next week and buy accordingly tomorrow morning :)
    Great post guys!

30. Kat March 2, 2012 at 3:09 pm #

Hm. Living in Bendigo and working full time means that a lot of shops are closed by the time we get home from work. We’ve started ordering our fruit, vegetables, and meat from Aussie Farmers’ Direct; they deliver to the door, and are quite good prices. The only “problem” is that the box is huge and we don’t always get through all the potatoes, or all the lettuce, before the next week’s box arrives. Perhaps I should space it out to every other week, or find people to share with :)

1. Links - ♥ davinia hamilton - January 28, 2012

[...] little bit about food choices, and about being conscious of the food which enters your [...]

2. In our Kitchen | House of Humble - February 15, 2012

[...] still a long, long way off achieving all the foodie plans and goals we talked about in this post, but we are trying to be better. Baby [...]

3. Thoughts on Ethical Eating | House of Humble - February 9, 2013

[...] writing this post about food, Reuben and I have made some big changes to the way we eat. Recently I have had more [...]