Scenes from our Veggie Patch

Sadly we haven’t had a lot of time to spend in our tiny veggie patch lately. We planned to get out there often, weeding and planting and watching things grow, but aside from regular waterings, it pretty much been left to it’s own devices. We haven’t planted much since the first batch of seedlings went in, but those tiny seedlings? Well, they are now gigantic! The pumpkins have gone crazy and begun flowering, the beetroots are getting big and will soon be ready to pick, and tiny green tomatoes are starting to pop up all over the place. It’s so exciting to watch, we only wish we’d had more time to do things properly

Our harvest certainly won’t be much this summer, but it’s nice to have made a start. There is always next year. And with each season we will learn, our gardening knowledge and skills will improve and our harvest will get bigger. That’s the beautiful thing about gardening… There is always room to grow.

Katie and Reuben x

Tags: , , , ,

Katie and Reuben

About Katie and Reuben

We are a twenty-something couple persuing a simple, mindful, beautiful life. We like crafty thing making, yummy thing baking and picture taking.

15 Responses to “Scenes from our Veggie Patch”

1. Veggie Mama December 5, 2011 at 11:24 pm #

I had soooo many tomatoes last month! I made the hugest batch of green tomato relish. Sadly, my plant died when I had to move it, but I just bought two new ones from a community garden sale, along with a nice bottle of worm juice and we were given a bottle of home-made pesticide. Stay off my kale and rocket, damn garden critters!

2. Raynor December 5, 2011 at 11:58 pm #

These photographs are beautiful! Aaaahhhh! We’re gearing up to make-over our garden, so I’m getting quite excited. Until then, I shall live vicariously through you guys! ^_~

• Reuben
      Reuben December 7, 2011 at 1:22 am #

Can’t wait to see your progress when you get started! Gardening is just so much fun! :)

• Raynor December 8, 2011 at 10:41 pm #

At the moment, we have a jungle of a lawn to get rid of. They *say* the previous tenant had it mowed before they left, but they didn’t say how long before they left… But, we’ll get there!

3. Jenna December 6, 2011 at 3:21 am #

They’re looking pretty good so far! This summer our tomatoes were big, red and juicy so I’ll send you some gardening vibes :) our cucmbers weren’t too much to speak of because they turned out kind of short and fat but everything else from cayanne peppers to habanero peppers shot out like wild fire! I wish it were summer here again, and not the brginning of the cold seasons! Looking forward to your progress!

4. Jen December 6, 2011 at 6:57 am #

Don’t you just love how the tomato plants with their little green tomatoes smell? It’s what makes me know summer has really arrived.

• Reuben
      Reuben December 7, 2011 at 1:25 am #

YES! It’s one of the best (and most distinctive) smells in the world! :)

5. Emily Spada December 6, 2011 at 7:06 am #

I would love to have a veggie patch! My best friend’s mom grows one and they have such delicious produce.

6. Selma December 6, 2011 at 2:42 pm #

what a great garden! garden fresh tomatoes taste so good in comparison to the store bought kind, my family has had a vegetable patch for as long as I can remember!

fresh cucumbers are great too, and wonderful for pickling. :)

-Selma
    beingselma.blogspot.com

• Reuben
      Reuben December 7, 2011 at 1:19 am #

Hi Selma! You are so right about tomatoes fresh from the garden and from the store – there is just no comparison! We can’t wait til ours ripe enough to eat! We’ve planted some cucumbers but they are growing a little slower than our toms…

7. Tony December 6, 2011 at 6:59 pm #

Very exciting! I have tiny tomatoes just appearing, but the lettuce are going gangbusters. Oh and radishes too!

8. Frankie December 7, 2011 at 2:48 am #

Ah! This post made me so happy! It’s the beginning of winter here, and really miss my garden. I love that I’ll be able to follow along with yours- even if it’s on the other side of the planet.

Also, when I was knitting on the plane in route to my grandmother’s this weekend, a little boy sitting near me was very interested in what I was doing. I had a whole conversation with him where I explained how the knitting works in basic terms. I thought of Reuben’s post about being a male knitter and it made me sad that the little boy would probably never get to learn because he might not have anyone in his life willing to teach him.

9. Chestnut Mocha December 7, 2011 at 4:34 am #

Sun&greens!!! oh, i can’t believe my eyes! mmm and the smell must be so gooood! It’s so wonderful that you shared it! Gardening is so great – i just can’t wait for the spring to come!

10. kate December 8, 2011 at 1:51 pm #

It’s weird to see green and growing when it’s 30 some degrees (F) here in the states. It looks lovely.

11. Michelle Clement December 14, 2011 at 1:54 pm #

Oooh..it looks lovely!I’m so jealous of your sunshine… :) It’s all rainy and yucky, here – mister husband and I are looking forward to planting our first actual *garden* next year!