DIY Yarn-Wrapped Love Wreath

This year I decided we needed a new wreath. I wanted to make one myself but I needed a project that was quick, simple and inexpensive. I also wanted to make something colourful and cute, rather than traditional. I like glittery things as much as the next girl, but I’m slowly trying to get away from red, green and gold and make our decorations more bright and colourful. I think bright suits us better. I think it suits our hot, summery Australian Christmases better too.

This simple little wreath was inspired by this wreath made by Pip and this wreath made by James (with these yarn wrapped letters). It was so easy peasy to make. I just wrapped a styrofoam wreath in yarn, securing with my trusty glue gun at the back. I then shaped “love” out of pipercleaners, wrapped yarn around it and glued it on. See? Easy peasy!

What does your wreath look like? There are so many lovely DIY wreathes about… If you’ve seen any especially wonderful ones please do share the link. (I am kind of already thinking about what sort of wreath to make next year!)

Tags: , , , ,

Katie is a coffee-drinking, granny square-making, op-shopping daydreamer. Katie likes vintage dresses, Pictionary, doilies and colourful tights. Katie's raspberry baked cheesecake will rock your socks off.

25 Responses to “DIY Yarn-Wrapped Love Wreath”

1. Vic December 16, 2011 at 9:44 pm #

Love your love wreath! Mine are yarn wrapped too! http://punkysmamma.blogspot.com/2011/12/pink-is-for-girls.html

Katie December 19, 2011 at 9:31 am #

So cute Vic! Those little dangly pompom bits are gorgeous!

2. Angela December 16, 2011 at 10:47 pm #

So cute! I may try this out too. Thanks for sharing! :-)
    I’ve made a tutorial on my blog about how to make your own wreaths out of foam tubes. An even more inexpensive idea, and you can decorate it however you like it! You can take a look here:

Katie December 19, 2011 at 9:30 am #

That is such a great idea, because those little styrofoam wreaths can be surprisingly expensive! Love the wreath you made.

• Angela March 15, 2013 at 3:55 am #

Oh, I’m so glad you like it! Yes, styrofoam wreaths can be so expensive, but the foam tubes are a really good alternative.

3. Stephanie December 17, 2011 at 8:54 am #

def very very cute and creative

4. Mrs. Overbey @ Daily Doily December 17, 2011 at 9:20 am #

I LOVE yours :) I made one this year too.
    You can see it here: http://dailydoily.typepad.com/peaceloveandcupcakes/2011/11/diy-yarn-wreath.html

Katie December 19, 2011 at 9:28 am #

I love your wreath! The yarn and colours you used are beautiful.

5. knitxcore December 17, 2011 at 12:37 pm #

i love it!!!!

i made coffee filter wreaths last year for every one i knew :-)

Katie December 19, 2011 at 9:27 am #

I love coffee filter wreaths! They are so pretty (and clever!) :)

6. Cath Dean December 17, 2011 at 7:04 pm #

Katie that is a gorgeous wreath, so cheery and bright!! I also clicked on the other links to see some gorgeous wreaths, wow what talented people we have on this earth, thanks for sharing everyone, I am off to make one of my own now!!!

7. kit & nancy December 19, 2011 at 11:15 am #

oh i LOVE this! so pretty.

8. Rin Dawson December 19, 2011 at 9:32 pm #

Oh What a Beautiful Post & Whimsical Blog – The prettiness made me dizzy!
    Peace, Love & Happy Holidays – Rin @ http://www.paperedthoughts.blogspot.com

9. val gould December 20, 2011 at 1:16 am #

I want to make this wreath so much!!!
    Thanks for the sweet comments on the photo of me and my hubs!!!!
    Have a wonderful day!

• Jo December 20, 2011 at 8:39 am #

Wow, it is simply beautiful. What a great job, and how cheerful.

10. Leigh December 20, 2011 at 11:28 am #

So creative! Love it! Great job!
    Thanks for visiting my blog :)

Luvv, Leigh B

11. katie December 21, 2011 at 11:52 am #

such a cute project, katie! well done!

12. Natasa Tsouf December 23, 2011 at 7:33 am #

Wow this is soooo beautyful! confrats!

13. Michelle Clement December 30, 2011 at 7:47 am #

Oooh – it’s so bright & lovely!! :)

1. Decorative Crafts | Pearltrees - April 12, 2012

[...] This simple little wreath was inspired by this wreath made by Pip and this wreath made by James (with these yarn wrapped letters ). It was so easy peasy to make. I just wrapped a styrofoam wreath in yarn, securing with my trusty glue gun at the back. I then shaped “love” out of pipercleaners, wrapped yarn around it and glued it on. See? DIY Yarn-Wrapped Love Wreath | House of Humble [...]

2. DIY | Pearltrees - September 9, 2012

[...] DIY Yarn-Wrapped Love Wreath Coffee Stirrer DIY Wall Art Last week, I posted a preview of the simple, inexpensive wall art my mom and I created. Now I’m excited to show you how you can make a one-of-a-kind coffee stirrer masterpieces too! I’m big on projects that <i>anyone </i> can do. And this is one of those projects. If you can smear paint on wood and use scissors, you can make this easy art. (Don’t you dare say you’re not “creative!” Another Super Cute Thing I Made with Felt, This Time…A Butterfly Pillow Cover A couple of weeks ago I posted a fun tutorial on “How to make a felt sunflower pillow” . And never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that post would have as huge of a response as it has. Yet, I’m very happy for it…to say the least!!! So…since it was such a hit, I decided to make another felt pillow, but this time in the form of a butterfly. And this one is just as easy to make and equally adorable. So I made three! Hello fellow crafters! Tristin and I were invited to be today's featured guest blogger over at Everyday Mom Ideas ! We were thrilled with this wonderful opportunity, and wanted to share with the readers over there one of our trees from the collection we're currently doing. This second tree is very similar to the first one. [...]

3. 32 Awesome No-Knit DIY Yarn Projects - EyeOnCelebs - January 30, 2013

[...] Wrap a styrofoam wreath in brightly colored yarn. The “Love” emblem is made from pipe cleaners also wrapped in yarn. Read all about it here. [...]

4. 32 Awesome No-Knit DIY Yarn Projects - Zeusitup.com - January 30, 2013

5. 32 Awesome No-Knit DIY Yarn Projects « シ最愛遲到.! - January 31, 2013

[...] Wrap a styrofoam wreath in brightly colored yarn. The “Love" emblem is made from pipe cleaners also wrapped in yarn. Read all about it here. [...]

6. DIY Yarn Projects | Two Pink Canaries - January 25, 2014