Vintage Linens

A few months ago I started collecting vintage linens, with the intention of repurposing them. I’ve been so very, very busy I haven’t had much time for making things lately, so for now I’m just sqirreling them away for later…

These are just some of my very favourites. My collection of linens is getting quite large as I just can’t resist them! Even though I’m yet to use any of them, every time I find a pretty vintage sheet in a op-shop I snatch it up (and do a little happy dance), bring it home, give it a wash and tuck it in the cupboard with the rest of my treasures. For now they are all quietly waiting for their time to shine, but I do hope that time will be very soon!

Do you have any cute collections? Anyone else out there hoard vintage linens like I do?

Tags: , , , , ,

30 Responses to “Vintage Linens”

1. Germaine November 17, 2011 at 2:33 pm #

Sigh.. your collection is divine. I wouldn’t bear to use any!

Katie November 18, 2011 at 10:48 am #

Yes, aside from my lack of time, I think the fact I can’t bear to cut into them is another one of the reasons I’m yet to use them! But they are so pretty, I think they deserve to be turned into something wonderful and put on display, rather than just hidden inside a bed.

2. jodi November 17, 2011 at 2:34 pm #

I LOVE vintage linens. I just recently found a few good ones and I really want to use them for something other than bed making, but I can’t decide what project is worthy enough haha! You have a beautiful collection!

3. Joy November 17, 2011 at 5:11 pm #

Sadly no space for collections now we have downsized to this little house..though must confess to a collection of vintage knitting patterns, does that count? Once upon a time long agao I had a superb collection of old green bottles.

Love your collection, they would make wonderful long skirts

4. Mel November 17, 2011 at 8:15 pm #

I collect cat mugs. Yup, mugs with pictures of cats on them. And box brownie camers, actually just older cameras in general.
    its funny you should post on this as I was actually in an antique store the other day and saw a bunch of linens and thought of you guys.
    Creepy? Possibly, but you would of definately appreciated them :)

Katie November 18, 2011 at 10:50 am #

Not creepy, thoughtful! And you are right, we would have appreciated them! Would love to see your collection of cat mugs too – how cute! :)

5. Lisa November 18, 2011 at 1:57 am #

Oh, gosh, they’re lovely! I do not have good luck finding pretty vintage linens – I think I will have to start venturing further afield …

Thanks for sharing the photos ^_^

6. Paula November 18, 2011 at 6:48 am #

wow, such pretty linens! and soo much you can do with them :) I hope you get around to repurposing them, I’d love to see what you come up with!

Katie November 18, 2011 at 10:51 am #

If I can ever bring myself to use them, I will definitley share it on the blog! :)

7. jo @ indigo inspirations November 18, 2011 at 9:47 am #

I collect them too….in fact I have collected them for quite a while…..they are irresistible. I love the way you have put them in rainbow order too!!!

8. Louise @elsiemayandbertha November 19, 2011 at 12:15 am #

Am a little jealous, you obviously have some very pretty linens in Australia. Here in my little bit of England, a lot of the time sheets are either plain or made of flannel. Though I have managed to pick some lovely floral pillow cases. As it is with you, I just need to get round to using them.

9. knitxcore November 19, 2011 at 3:07 am #

i always feel weird when i cut into a piece of vintage fabric. knowing you’ll probably never have it again is pretty scary/sad.

Katie November 19, 2011 at 9:22 am #

It IS scary and sad isn’t it?! I am so glad I’m not the only one who feels that way!

10. Fay November 19, 2011 at 4:45 am #

Wow, they’re soo pretty :D ♥ What a wonderful collection.

11. Kirsten November 19, 2011 at 10:39 am #

Gorgeous linens!

12. Michelle Clement November 19, 2011 at 10:44 am #

he he – I had a collection going, for a while (and I still have quite a few), but I started making the sheets into a quilt last year – that’s why I was collecting them, in the first place!), so my stash has dwindled…I’m searching for more to make curtains now, though! And actually using ones that are in great shape on the bed (after a good wash…). I love yours – you have such a pretty collection! :)

13. patience November 19, 2011 at 6:31 pm #

wow! what an incredible collection! i’m that way with papers…except for my little biz i only use, white, black and pink. goodness only knows why i have so many multi-coloured, shiny and beautiful ones!

14. laura November 20, 2011 at 7:26 pm #

love them! i am a vintage floral fiend. i’m in absolute heaven when i find one. yours are gorgeous!

15. Lucinda November 20, 2011 at 9:27 pm #

Oh yes!! My stash is actually slimming out after making lots of little coin purses/pouches, some dresses for my little girl and next on the list is some vintage floral summer hang about pants. For her and for me of course! Love your latest post too. It’s easy to get caught up in the image of someone’s life through their blog and feel inadequate. Thanks for being honest! xL

16. neko November 20, 2011 at 11:00 pm #

Hi Katie

I love your choices of fabric.
    I am a teacher who incorporates fabric in her lessons. Stop by to see what my 6-9 year old students have done with fabric scraps, would love to here what you think.

Cheers Neko

17. Kelly November 21, 2011 at 11:34 pm #

woah! that one with the squares! greeny florally perfection! You’re killing me Katie.
    I hoard everything, though have cut down to practically no hoarding since moving. everything is still is boxes so i cant really justify more. sigh. need shelves!
    xx

Katie November 22, 2011 at 12:00 am #

That one is my favourite too!!! I want to turn it into a dress I think, but I need to get MUCH better at sewing first. We still have lots of stuff in boxes too. The storage situation in our tiny house is kind of desperate actually! x

18. Maria @ Cheeky Pink Tulip November 22, 2011 at 1:24 am #

Ohh, I can’t wait until you get your light bulb moment!

Maria xx

19. Allie December 8, 2011 at 11:46 am #

Went to the thrift store tonight with the hubby (emergency need of a suit jacket), but while I perusing the linen section, I found some linens that screamed KATIE.

You can see my terrible phone pic here…

Got some other awesomely awesome stuff while I was there, but thought I would you like to see this one :)

20. brandeye December 9, 2011 at 4:27 am #

i am a vintage linen hoarder. i make quilts with them. you’ve got some great linens there! i love the yellow/orange one on the end.

21. Allana December 11, 2011 at 10:21 pm #

Oh my! That is one pretty rainbow of vintage linens! I have some to keep and use as linen and some I craft and create with. I don’t think I would be able to cut into your collection though, too pretty! :)
    Just found your gorgeous blog via gosh knows where but am so glad I did! Loved your imperfect post and Rueben’s tale of gender inequality. Thankyou for sharing with your readers your authentic selves! :)

22. Andrea B December 16, 2011 at 1:21 pm #

Your collection is so pristine! And organized! And … ironed. I’m impressed.

I do tend to gather up vintage linens if I see a particularly compelling piece at a thrift shop. I keep planning on learning to use my sewing machine and then turning them into little adorable bags to give gifts in or use as a way to accent my vintage wares in my Etsy shop.

Katie December 16, 2011 at 1:34 pm #

No, not ironed! I avoid ironing at all costs! After I wash them I just hang them on the line to dry, then fold then up as I take them off the line :)

23. Nicole August 30, 2012 at 1:04 pm #

I feel your addiction for these hidden treasures. I used my first linens to make crocheted rag baskets. I later found a pic of a little girl’s skirt made with some. I fell in love. I have quite an inventory, for I requent thrift stores quite often. You can check out some of my latest creations at…

Nicole

1. Valentines Day Thrifty Finds | House of Humble - February 16, 2013

[...] course, I couldn’t call it a successful trip without finding some vintage sheets for my collection. I can’t wait to get back into sewing once we’ve moved. I miss [...]