Reclaim: Doilies

The Reclaim series is all about turning discarded old things into beautiful new things. It’s about making treasure from trash, reducing our waste and saving a little money along the way. Each episode features an everyday object and a variety of inspiring ways that object can be reclaimed.

Today, it’s all about doilies!

(All images were found on Pinterest. If one of these images belongs to you, please let us know so that we can give you credit.)

• String doilies together to create a pretty garland/bunting.
  • Use doilies to embellish cushion covers, curtains, quilts and anything else you can think of!
  • Make a doily wreath like this one or this one.
  • Stiffen doilies (with hairspray, glue or fabric stiffener) and suspend them on strings, as festive snowflake decorations
  • Make a doily table runner.
  • Use doilies in gift wrapping and card making. They look especially beautiful decorating packages wrapped in plain brown paper.
  • Create a doily lamp or doily lanterns.
  • Add a chain and use a doily as the centrepiece for a vintage inspired necklace.
  • Turn doilies into dreamcatchers.
  • Sew a doily to plain top to make it a little bit special or restyle a comfy sweatshirt.
  • Use doilies as stencils for DIY home decor.
  • Frame doilies or sew them to embroidery hoops, to create simple and lovely wall hangings.
  • Bake doily cookies.

Have you got any other clever ideas for recycling doilies? If so, please share!

Tags: , , , ,

Katie is a coffee-drinking, granny square-making, op-shopping daydreamer. Katie likes vintage dresses, Pictionary, doilies and colourful tights. Katie's raspberry baked cheesecake will rock your socks off.

25 Responses to “Reclaim: Doilies”

1. Abi November 28, 2011 at 11:22 pm #

I’m loving the doily cookies idea! Thanks for this post, I have lots of doilies waiting for good ideas, now I can do some serious creating :) And glad you soted the doily/doile issue ;)

2. Louise November 29, 2011 at 12:03 am #

Funny, I was just eying off some doilies at an op shop on the weekend. I couldn’t think of anything to do with them so I ended up passing them up, but I love the doily bunting so I think I’m going to have to go back.

Katie November 29, 2011 at 6:15 pm #

Yes, go back! Quick! Before some other clever crafty person or thrifty nanna beats you to it! :)

3. eliza November 29, 2011 at 3:37 am #

i just saw a cute one on pinterest of doilies sewn onto a cardigan as pockets, for a little upcycling. or wouldn’t they be cute as elbow patches?

love the idea of using one for gift wrap, though. might have to be on the look out for some cheap ones at thrift shops.

Katie November 29, 2011 at 6:13 pm #

Yes, I saw that lovely cardigan with the doily pockets, but obviously it completely slipped my mind while I was putting this post together… Silly! I LOVE the idea of doily elbow patches too!

4. Jenni November 29, 2011 at 6:47 am #

Oooh I love doilies! I have such trouble finding them though- any ideas on where to get a good deal?

Katie November 29, 2011 at 6:10 pm #

We often find them in op-shops (thrift stores) but it really depends where you go… Sometimes we find loads for just a few cents each but other times they are quite difficult to find and expensive. I think you’ve just got to keep an eye for them whenever you go thrifting! :)

5. MacNik November 29, 2011 at 7:11 am #

I love this! What great ideas! I think doilies are so cool and I love the word itself. Hahaha!

6. Lyndall November 29, 2011 at 10:01 am #

I love this post so much! I think my favourites are the lamp shade, candle holders, and the bunting. I’m going to start collecting pretty doilies now!

Katie November 29, 2011 at 6:11 pm #

Just as long as you don’t come to Bendigo and snatch them all up before I do! ;)

7. Lauren McLittles November 29, 2011 at 6:16 pm #

These are adorable! My cousin was recently married & she use paper doilies wrapped in a cone shape to hold the petals the guests threw when the her & her new husband walked out the of church. Simple to make & very pretty, we put them together the night before!

8. Mrs. Overbey @ Daily Doily November 30, 2011 at 7:54 am #

I adore doilies :) My wedding had tons of them. I made a table runner + banners :) My blog is even named after them, hahaha.

9. B November 30, 2011 at 10:28 am #

I love this post sooo much I saved it. Then I found some more posts I loved and saved them. I had already saved the website. Then I just kept loving this blog more and more so I added your button to my blog. Sorry if I’m gushing.

Love love this blog!

love b xx

from bybande
    (sydney adelaide)

Katie November 30, 2011 at 6:13 pm #

Aw, thank you so much B! Your lovely comment has really made our day :)

10. knitxcore November 30, 2011 at 2:59 pm #

these are all such great ideas!

11. Fay December 1, 2011 at 5:22 am #

I love this! These are such great ideas.
    I especially love the dream catchers ♥

Katie December 1, 2011 at 1:16 pm #

Aren’t they beautiful?! I would love a little cluster of doily dreamcatchers above my bed…

12. Michelle Clement December 1, 2011 at 2:29 pm #

Oooh…these are all so lovely!! :) I have a pile of doilies accumulating on my table that I’ve been meaning to make into something….hmm…

13. Bron December 2, 2011 at 11:46 am #

Thanks for your comment on my blog, Katie.

I think I’m going to save this post for later use ;-) it’s a good one!
    I’ve never been able to find paper doilies though. Where do you get them from?

Katie December 2, 2011 at 11:52 am #

I think you can sometimes get them at $2 shops! But if you can’t find them in real life you could always get some online…

• Bron December 6, 2011 at 10:45 am #

Ok, I’ll have a look at some $2 shops. Thanks Katie!

14. Peggy March 25, 2013 at 9:39 am #

I was browsing online the other day and found some pretty cheap ones in this etsy shop:

The ones I saw mostly were the ones with linen in the middle.
    Do a search on Etsy and you may find some more for sale at good prices.
    I’m sure you can find some more great deals online at ebay too.

I have also bought them in “lots” from Curious Sofa.(LOVE that shop!)
    Some needed a couple of repair stitches,but most did not, they were nice and clean too,But, I got alot of great ones all at one time!

I have SOOooo many doilies but still buy them!LOL, left from my Grandmother, and another friend whose sister crocheted,she just GAVE me all of them. I have them in my china cabinet under my stuff and hanging over the end of the shelves,and some more on another shelf display in one of my guest bedrooms, again hanging over the edge slightly under my vintage china,etc., and another friend whose grandmother died not to long ago,and she gave me most of the ones she had as well. Thanks to the kindness of friends and also my purchases, I have lost count of them!
    I hope to ONE DAY put the most beautiful ones into frames on the wall, for a pretty display!Instant wall art!

I always think of the work that (probably a lady) put into them,the time it took,the knowledge and work involved.
    I always look at them as very beautiful pieces of ART……

Thanks for your wonderful doily series! I love this blog and will bookmark it too!

1. Royal Milk Tea » Saturday sweets - March 10, 2012

[...] one of my favourite blogs, and I love their ‘Reclaim’ series! Two of my favourites are Reclaim: Doilies and Reclaim: Plastic [...]

2. Uses of Doily & Inspiration | mypapercrafting - June 21, 2012

[...] Credit Source [...]

3. Craft | Pearltrees - September 27, 2012

[...] Reclaim: Doilies Meet systemfreak on Craftsy | Learn It. Make It. I had a gallery request that I supply my own displays for my jewelry. I never had this request before and at first I was stressed over the idea. I worried that I wouldn't find displays that matched my aesthetic and the gallery's. And since most of my displays are thrifted I was worried about how long it would take to gather up the odds and ends I needed, not to mention time spent refinishing the pieces. [...]